User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you feel as you get older you care less?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you feel as you get older you care less?

Used to be I'd know everything about arsenal now I couldn't even tell.ypu 5 players I don't know where we are in the league how we are doing who or when we last played when or who we next play etc. I say I support arsenal but really I know nothing ing these days and its.be ttn this way for a few years

I don't know th e last time I watched a match probably the last fa cup final we were in but I also don't know what year that was

I miss the old days when I woy religoiuslu follow this shit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    I miss the old days when I woy religoiuslu follow this shit
    Do you, though? It's not healthy to follow it too intensely IMO. Especially as you get older and get more responsibilities, there are more important things in life.
    I don't know if you remember one person who used to post on here. I used to sit near him in the North Bank and he got married in that era.
    He used to pride himself on being the bestest, westest Arsenal fan. I used to find it all a bit silly really.
    I head he got divorced and I remember thinking "well maybe if you'd spent more time trying to be a good husband rather than a good Arsenal fan..."
    Maybe that's a bit harsh, but his priorities seemed all wrong.

I think just generally you become more relaxed and less intense as you get older, I certainly care a lot less about it all than I did.
    I've actually been watching more games recently, maybe because of lockdown and so on, there's not loads else to do. But overall I'm nowhere near as in to it all as I was. I have no idea when our next game is, I generally find out about games from this place!

So, in brief, I definitely care less about it all than I did but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think it's pretty healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will always love Arsenal but I’ve certainly found there are more important things in life as I’ve grown older. I remember when I’d actually lose sleep over a bad defeat and be in a pretty foul mood the day after. That’s just toxic.

If we win, great.
    If we don’t, who cares? Why does it matter?

Never want to be that emotionally or financially invested in the club again if I’m honest. Maybe when my boy is old enough I’ll rekindle that passion by taking him but until then..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to pretend that i don't care as much - and I'm generally more phlegmatic about football. But does AFC still affect me emotionally? Hell yes!
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it depends - any team can have an off day but if the direction of travel isn't great it gets me down

I got a bit depresed during the time when Emery was doing so badly for so long and Raul was doing all his dodgy deals

and it's all annoying me a bit at the moment because it's so clear when we make big mistakes like signing Willian or messing around with Saka and Auba like Arteta did against West Ham, or the continuing existence of Xhaka as an Arsenal player

Arteta makes me angry with his favourites and inconsistent team selections

i realise there's rotation needed at the moment but overall I just wish we'd play a settled set of our better players in their best positions - it doesn't feel like so much to ask

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I like to pretend that i don't care as much - and I'm generally more phlegmatic about football. But does AFC still affect me emotionally? Hell yes!

Yes, I'd like to pretend I don't care at all but conceding a last minute equaliser still has the power to make me shout "OH FUCK OFF!" at the TV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Do you, though? It's not healthy to follow it too intensely IMO. Especially as you get older and get more responsibilities, there are more important things in life.
    I don't know if you remember one person who used to post on here. I used to sit near him in the North Bank and he got married in that era.
    He used to pride himself on being the bestest, westest Arsenal fan. I used to find it all a bit silly really.
    I head he got divorced and I remember thinking "well maybe if you'd spent more time trying to be a good husband rather than a good Arsenal fan..."
    Maybe that's a bit harsh, but his priorities seemed all wrong.

I think just generally you become more relaxed and less intense as you get older, I certainly care a lot less about it all than I did.
    I've actually been watching more games recently, maybe because of lockdown and so on, there's not loads else to do. But overall I'm nowhere near as in to it all as I was. I have no idea when our next game is, I generally find out about games from this place!

So, in brief, I definitely care less about it all than I did but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think it's pretty healthy.
    I can relate to that, unfortunatly

Arsenal didn't help my first marriage at all. My Weekend would be dominated by if they won or lost. If they lost, I would sulk badly and cancel evenings out

Now that I am 54 with two grown up children, I tend not to get so down about it because my second wife will not put up with it

It still hurts inside when they lose, however, I just tell myself that they are a bunch of overpaid w***k**s who literally could not give a stuff about me.

One thing though, I still absolutely love it when S*urs lose. Sometimes it gives me more of a lift than when Arsenal win!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    I can relate to that, unfortunatly

Arsenal didn't help my first marriage at all. My Weekend would be dominated by if they won or lost. If they lost, I would sulk badly and cancel evenings out

Now that I am 54 with two grown up children, I tend not to get so down about it because my second wife will not put up with it

It still hurts inside when they lose, however, I just tell myself that they are a bunch of overpaid w***k**s who literally could not give a stuff about me.

One thing though, I still absolutely love it when S*urs lose. Sometimes it gives me more of a lift than when Arsenal win!
    Amen to that, brother
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Right. That's definitely a factor too. These guys don't give a damn about the fans these days.
    As you get older you tend to get more nostalgic and look back on the "good old days" more fondly, but I think this is objectively true. There was much more connection between the fans and players back in the day, and the fans and club in general. Since it became big business the players are here today, gone tomorrow mercenaries and the club see us as little more than customers. Back in the day when I was more into it all and a member I was always getting marketing emails trying to extract more money from me. Sad really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Right. That's definitely a factor too. These guys don't give a damn about the fans these days.
    As you get older you tend to get more nostalgic and look back on the "good old days" more fondly, but I think this is objectively true. There was much more connection between the fans and players back in the day, and the fans and club in general. Since it became big business the players are here today, gone tomorrow mercenaries and the club see us as little more than customers. Back in the day when I was more into it all and a member I was always getting marketing emails trying to extract more money from me. Sad really.
    Sad, but true