User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Liverpool (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may well go on to do big things as a coach but if we persist with him we could be out in the wilderness for a few more years while he cuts his teeth. If the board are happy for us to be used as a project then fine, but it has to come with a timescale and accountability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    10th or 11th is pathetic and there can be no excuses. Arteta probably has about 10 games at the start of next season and see where we are. i dont see us as a top 4 side but we need to recruit the way liverpool did, sell a player for alot of invest it well
    One of our biggest problems is the amount of garbage players we have on big wages, these players are going to be almost impossible to shift, we certainly shouldn't be sticking with them given their woeful displays this season. Willian, Xhaka (he's been relatively good lately) & David Luiz come to mind. Laca isn't far behind even though he has had a relatively OK season, Auba looks like he has mentally checked out, he has been awful this season.

We basically have big problems in pretty much every area of the team, I don't think next season is going to be much different with Arteta in charge unless we get lucky with our recruitment in the summer.

If i was in charge, I'd basically start again and build with the youth, we basically need to build the team around them with a few smart low key buys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Project Arteta not working out. Add to that the amount of woeful players we have, it’s a recipe for mediocrity. A club of our stature, we really should have an established, top drawer manager. We aren’t the sort of club that should be experimenting with a novice coach, as much as I do like Arteta. Whilst I accept that Wenger was an experiment, I can’t see history repeating itself this time round.
    Last edited by Ralpheroo72; 05-04-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a long haul dragging is back from Wenger. It was always going to be, but it was the right thing to move on, and the club has needed rebuilding to operate in the current climate, boyh on and off the pitch.

When you have someone in place for so long, who had say so over everything, it’ll take some time to get out of old habits.

The most important thing, is that the shape of this Arsenal team is far better than it has been for a very long time, but some of the personnel don’t fit.

Smith Rowe and Saka are big misses, because they take the game to the opposition. I would argue that the introduction of those two, Tierney, Mari and Garbirel are regular first teamers now...so in a year we have half of a new team. Add Partey to the mix (I think we’ll see more from him next season), and we’ll start pushing forward I’m sure. We just have to have some patience, because I do enjoy watching the aforementioned players far more than those we’ve inherited from past regimes.

Pepe is a huge disappointment, the purchase of Willian was ridiculous. And the persistence with Xhaka and Cabellos is infuriating. But I would argue that we don’t have options in that position at the moment, and we are strapped for cash big time.

For what Arteta has at his disposal, I’ve been largely impressed. I wasn’t expecting to move forward instantly. The best teams are built over time, and for me, there is enough identity in this set up to give me cause for optimism. But he does need to know when to make more ruthless decisions, and he needs a transfer window with full backing, and further clearing of the decks. For me, his next moves in the summer are the key to deciding whether he has the ambition, as the lokes of Xhaka should be either relegated to the bench as back up, or sold to funda suitable replacement.

Lastly, we need to find consistency in our intensity, as it’s not right to push Man Utd about, and back off Liverpool. They didn’t work anywhere near hard enough the other night.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Xhaka (he's been relatively good lately) .
    if giving the ball back to the person who just passed it to you or giving the ball away or being too slow means he's relatively good then fine...

all this crap about him improving basically mens he's not been sent off lately - otehr than that i see nothign of worth

it's a shame that we were so bad on Saturday without Xhaka, as now Arteta will be more convinced than ever Xhaka is indespensible, but in fact it was his decision to play Ceballos and the fact Partey is increasingly crap that's the problem - he should have played Chambers in DM although Chambers is good at RB so a bit of a dilemma there i admit - maybe Elneny then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralpheroo72 View Post
    Project Arteta not working out. Add to that the amount of woeful players we have, it’s a recipe for mediocrity. A club of our stature, we really should have an established, top drawer manager. We aren’t the sort of club that should be experimenting with a novice coach, as much as I do like Arteta. Whilst I accept that Wenger was an experiment, I can’t see history repeating itself this time round.
    Wenger had done very well at Monaco and also managed other big clubs abroad, no experiemnt there except to the narrow-minded insular british press who saw him as a know-nothing johnny foreigner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Wenger had done very well at Monaco and also managed other big clubs abroad, no experiemnt there except to the narrow-minded insular british press who saw him as a know-nothing johnny foreigner
    no he hadnt. managed 2 french clubs and one japanese club. no big club experience. but what Wenger had was exceptional knowledge of french football at a time they were riding high on the international stage. this gave him a competitive advantage of most in the league. he improved the life style and diets of players as has been credited as well. but he joined us at a time we had a solid defensive unit and he added what he did best the attacking side.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wenger wasn’t an experiment.
    He’d been successful elsewhere at 2 clubs. Sure, not one of the really big ones, but he wasn’t some rookie with no experience of managing a club like Arteta.
    And while Wenger inherited a great defence, the Invincibles was entirely Wenger’s squad, so any assertion that the only reason for Wenger’s success is a bit simplistic.
    He was a revolutionary when he came, but football moved on and he didn’t.
    Arteta was always a gamble. Personally I’m not willing to cash in the chips just yet, but if next season starts poorly we need to get rid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Who can replace Arteta?
    Be careful what you wish for.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish someone at the club actually knew how to run a football club.