User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Liverpool (home)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I was a little bit taller
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralpheroo72 View Post
    I wish someone at the club actually knew how to run a football club.
    We aren’t a football club, we are a business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 days later and I still feel despondent. I think that its because Saturday's game encapsulated so many of the real problems with our team and manager. It wasn't the loss - Liverpool were very good. It was the way we failed even to compete in any department.

- Decision making #1. Arteta's set up was a disaster, and I worry that our previous improvement since Xmas was reliant more on individual players - Saka; ESR; Tierney and Odegard - than any settled system. Without 3 of them it was back to November and the mess of a team that we witnessed then.

- Decision making # 2. F*ck Aubameyang on the left. In fact he shouldn't even have been on the pitch. Extraordinary that his previous favourite, Willian, was dropped just at the time when he had been showing a small bit of form, for the execrable Ceballos who has shown the oppposite. All of the best bits of this season have been made by our young; upcoming and hungry players. The manager is without 2 of them and loses a third but still won't play Martinelli - who has (with 1 exception) only done good things when he has played. Arteta seems incapable of following the simple formula of playing players on form and dropping those out of form, and can't even show consistency with the likes of Aubameyamg who was controversially dropped for the Spurs game, but then that event is undermined by continuing to play him when he has stunk up the place playing wise.

- Decision making #3. Arteta's best performances have come when he has been positive/aggressive in taking the game to the opposition, but he reverted to a negative mindset in this game - and basically invited Liverpool to do what they do best. The result was predictable from the moment this team took the field.

- Failure to adapt. We have a manager who (IMO) tries to be too clever and over-analyses the opposition (in this way, he is the opposite of Wenger who gave little thought to the opposition's strengths and weknesses). Yet despite this, he seems not to understand his own team's weaknesses. We have seen this with Leno, who is clearly not comfortable with playing out from the back, and in the Liverpool game in the absence of Luis, he seemed to think that Holding can play a passing out game. He can't. he does basic defending. Similarly, against West ham, Arteta tried to be too clever in setting up a team to play against a West Ham team that tends to play on the counter, and Moyes owned him in the first half by pressing likel hell and waiting for us to self-destruct, which we duly did. This lack of flexibility worries me - and I feel that Arteta confuses our players by continually trying to second guess the opposition - which leads to muddled thinking and is a potential reason for the errors we keep making.

- Mentality. We have a team whose confidence is brittle; whose concentration levels are poor and whose individual players' decision making is suspect. Plus we have few leaders able to pick the team up when things inevitably turn against them. This has dogged Arenal for years - and we thought this had reached its nadir under Emery, but the past month has seen us drifting back to pre Xmas, and I wonder whether Areta has what it takes to change this on a consistent basis.

Yes - we have Slavia Prague this week, and we all hope that we see a different team then. But if we are honest, we are more worried about serving up another shit show than confident of a good result. And that's the crux of it for me. Results aside, after 15 months we do not know what team we are going to see, game on game, at Arsenal. And that for me is a real indictment of Arteta. My faith is definitely wavering, and that is a bad place to be in where realistically we are stuck with this manager for teh forseeable future.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty of coaches don’t always get what they want/need due to things out of their control but they work with what they’ve got and with a sprinkling of new faces here and there, it is more than possible to compete. I cannot accept the notion that Arteta needs more time and money. Whatever happened to just a bit of coaching? Everything I hear about Arteta just sweeps what he’s actually doing with the team under the carpet. Who’s actually improved under him? I don’t count the young players in that because they would have exploded anyway. If anything he’s actually overseen a decline in the majority of long established players.

It’s our responsibility as fans to not normalise mid table and accept this is part of the process. It’s about moving forward and it’s quite obvious this team is going nowhere. Quite frankly it is embarrassing that we will probably finish lower than last season, which was a year of huge disruption yet we can’t better that after a somewhat settled season, albeit with no fans but everyone is playing under the same conditions anyway.

Our squad has had enough money pumped into it for them to be competing higher up the table. Even in the unlikely event of winning the EL there has to be a massive improvement next season in the league for me to even consider the option of him being the right man for the job.

Sooner the fans are back the better. This team has been sleep walking through the season and it’s about time they were woken abruptly.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 06-04-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    if giving the ball back to the person who just passed it to you or giving the ball away or being too slow means he's relatively good then fine...

all this crap about him improving basically mens he's not been sent off lately - otehr than that i see nothign of worth

it's a shame that we were so bad on Saturday without Xhaka, as now Arteta will be more convinced than ever Xhaka is indespensible, but in fact it was his decision to play Ceballos and the fact Partey is increasingly crap that's the problem - he should have played Chambers in DM although Chambers is good at RB so a bit of a dilemma there i admit - maybe Elneny then
    Mac, I know you hate Xhaka and I am no fan of Xhaka either, but the alternatives are not better than him.

Ceballos is a complete waste of space, he doesn't do anything other than repeatedly get caught by the press or spin around aimlessly and pass the ball sideways. Chambers is OK at RB, he has had a few decent games recently but was really poor on Saturday, constantly caught out of position and his distribution was shocking.

Elneny has had a few decent performances this season but isn't the solution. Aside from Partey who I agree has been poor lately, our midfield needs to be completely rebuilt, it's a complete mess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with everything MO and IBK say above

I really hope the Kroenkes are watching this and starting to talk to any established managers who might be available in the summer, although i doubt it somehow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Totally agree with everything MO and IBK say above

I really hope the Kroenkes are watching this and starting to talk to any established managers who might be available in the summer, although i doubt it somehow
    They won't. We have put all our eggs in one basket with Arteta, and doubled down on this by making him manager. I think it was le Grove last week who said that the real rot set in at AFc not when Wenger left but when Gazidis did. There was then no leadership for an executive team that he put in - and was a structure that should have worked with his firm oversight. Instead it went to shit.

The Kroenkes are still hoping for the magic bullet that sees us back to top 4, and don't understand that they need in fact to have a team in place to build from where we are - mid table. I thought that Arteta - at least as a coach - was the man to do this. But his player recruitment; the fact that most of the success stories in our team seem to have come about more by luck than from judgment, and his craven reliance on so-called senior players in the face of evidence that they, not the youngsters, are the problem suggests otherwise. I thought that we were seeing the blueprint for the future after Xmas, but that fact that despite biggish spending we are still 2 injuries away from the team that was a few points away from relegation in mid December is really, really worrying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching the game I just felt incredibly sad, what the hell has happened to this great club I've invested so much passion, time and hard earned money in? I'm tempted to turn my back on them even though I know I can't, just like everyone that posts on this forum can't and won't.
    Arteta it appears want's to cut off his nose to spite his face, his negative tactics against an out of sorts Liverpool side were just cowardly. Why pick an out of form Ceballos? I don't even know what to say about Aubameyang anymore, surely he understands his attitude and performances have been woeful? Too many ageing players on high wages will continue to hold this team back unless we appoint an experienced manager who has the guts to look at the squad and make changes for the better, someone who is not blinkered by favouritism. I've wanted Arteta to succeed so much but it appears he isn't ready to manage a club of Arsenal's magnitude, his lack of experience really is starting to show now.
    I said from the very first day that Stan Kroenke took over Arsenal that we would be in trouble, he has no concern for our beloved club and will be more than happy just to keep us ticking over. We can only hope that someone with a passion for success comes in with a ridiculous offer to buy him out, until then it's more dark days ahead I'm afraid
    Last edited by WGC Goon; 06-04-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    We aren’t a football club, we are a business.
    We are worse than Enron if that is possible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WGC Goon View Post
    After watching the game I just felt incredibly sad, what the hell has happened to this great club I've invested so much passion, time and hard earned money in? I'm tempted to turn my back on them even though I know I can't, just like everyone that posts on this forum can't and won't.
    Arteta it appears want's to cut off his nose to spite his face, his negative tactics against an out of sorts Liverpool side were just cowardly. Why pick an out of form Ceballos? I don't even know what to say about Aubameyang anymore, surely he understands his attitude and performances have been woeful? Too many ageing players on high wages will continue to hold this team back unless we appoint an experienced manager who has the guts to look at the squad and make changes for the better, someone who is not blinkered by favouritism. I've wanted Arteta to succeed so much but it appears he isn't ready to manage a club of Arsenal's magnitude, his lack of experience really is starting to show now.
    I said from the very first day that Stan Kroenke took over Arsenal that we would be in trouble, he has no concern for our beloved club and will be more than happy to keep us just ticking over. We can only hope that someone with a passion for success comes in with a ridiculous offer to buy him out, until then it's more dark days ahead I'm afraid
    Agree with much of that mate. I have really tried - and am still trying to take the view that we are where we are and that the damage done to the club will take a while to sort out, so be patient. I was in the LDG camp for a long time this season - ie Arteta is quality if inexperienced, and we need to give him time to turn this team into what we need it to be, and I still feel that getting rid of the manager will simply prolong the transition. But while I still believe that Arteta has something about him, and will probably be a success long term, I am concerned about what he is showing us - and some of his decision making seems to be poor. The worst thing the club could have done, IMO, is make him manager as well as coach. He should have been left as coach for a few years with a proper director of football calling the shots on transfers. This would have given him the support he needs, while mitigating the damage that he could do.

Listen - we have to understand that the reason Liverpool have been ordinary of late is because of fatigue - magnified by the style of football they play - and they were always going to be back to their normal selves after an international break. This was the worst time to play them. But its the way we set up, showed up, and played that has really exposed our manager. As matters stand I can't really see this pattern changing - play well but flatter to deceive and revert to type over a 10 game period. I hope I'm wrong but the evidence sadly suggests otherwise.