User Tag List

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh, this is the format the modern game probably deserves - there hasn’t been any real competition in most leagues for years so why not do away with the pretence completely?

Gutted for the fans and all the small businesses out there that rely on that income trickling down from the top, but I have absolutely zero sympathy for the Premier League, UEFA, any of the other clubs or the government. They made this monster when they allowed spending and wages get out of control, and now self-preservation is kicking in after the pandemic...

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the fuck were we even considered to part of this?!?

We've been dogshit for the last 4-5 years and not anywhere near CL level.

I can see it now - get in the ESL, not invest any money in the squad, sit in the lower part of the table and achieve nothing.

woohoo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    You could ask the same about Spurs. Yes, they're better than us right now but only marginally. They haven't won a big trophy since 1991 (no, Spurs, you don't get to count the league cup), they haven't won a title since Noah was in short trousers.
    BUT, what do Arsenal and Spurs have in common? Shiny new big stadiums and a large, global fan base. Think of all that lovely money!
    It's so transparent, it's embarrassing.

I can't see this happening. It's united football fans in their distain for it so who is going to watch? Who is going to pay to watch, more to the point.
    If the answer is "that large global fan base" then maybe that's true, but it'll basically sever the last dangling thread of connection between the traditional fan and the club. But I guess if you're a business that doesn't matter. So long as the money is coming in from somewhere, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    https://www.arsenal.com/news/europea...ague-announced

Deserves its own thread now it’s been confirmed and we’re one of the greedy cunts involved.

What is this shite?

This is going to be a complete mess, no sanctioning body in the game will authorise it but it’s just going to happen regardless it seems. Hopefully the PL threaten to boot us out of the league or deduct points or something.
    I originally thought that this is something to rival the Premier League. For example, the big six would leave to join the Super League.

However, it seems to be an "Add On". So what about the current European competitions? Will we be able to play in the FA Cup? Will teams prioritise the Super League because of money an simply rest players in the Premier League?

This has got disaster written all over it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post

We've been dogshit for the last 4-5 years and not anywhere near CL level.

I can see it now - get in the ESL, not invest any money in the squad, sit in the lower part of the table and achieve nothing.

woohoo.
    Sounds like Kroenke is heavily involved, along with the other American owners

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Sounds like Kroenke is heavily involved, along with the other American owners
    One has to wonder what they were thinking.
    Did they really think the fans would be excited by this?
    Or did they know there would be a backlash but figured that with global fan bases large enough they only need, say, 1% of them to pay a lot to see this and screw the rest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    I originally thought that this is something to rival the Premier League. For example, the big six would leave to join the Super League.

However, it seems to be an "Add On". So what about the current European competitions? Will we be able to play in the FA Cup? Will teams prioritise the Super League because of money an simply rest players in the Premier League?

This has got disaster written all over it
    It would kill the CL for sure but that seems to be one of the aims of it. Cut out UEFA the middleman and spread the cash amongst themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect most of this could have been avoided if UEFA & the premier league etc had actually tried to enforce Financial Fair Play rather then just letting the billionaire owners do what they want with no repercussions as uefa & the league were happy with the money rolling in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Have to say this has united the fans in an almost unprecedented way.
    I haven’t heard anyone say a good thing about it.
    Unfortunately it does have plenty of defenders on twitter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further, for a number of years, the Founding Clubs have had the objective of improving the quality and intensity of existing European competitions throughout each season, and of creating a format for top clubs and players to compete on a regular basis.
    I must have missed where that applies to us for the last 10 years