User Tag List

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The UEFA and European Brussels admin are trying to push across the whole leagues a 51% fan ownership model similar to what obtains in Germany. This ownership thing is what prevents German clubs with being on board with this. I imagine now they will try to fast track this new law now. It will force Kroenke and co to become minority owners (UK maybe exempt bc of Brexit). If passed it will kill this Super league dead in its tracks as no fan dominated board will go along with it. Its probably why these billionaire owners are fast tracking this. they want it to be a fait accompli before the European legislation is passed.

Battle lines have certainly been drawn
    Last edited by Globalgunner; 19-04-2021 at 08:20 AM.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You could ask the same about Spurs. Yes, they're better than us right now but only marginally. They haven't won a big trophy since 1991 (no, Spurs, you don't get to count the league cup), they haven't won a title since Noah was in short trousers.
    BUT, what do Arsenal and Spurs have in common? Shiny new big stadiums and a large, global fan base. Think of all that lovely money!
    It's so transparent, it's embarrassing.

I can't see this happening. It's united football fans in their distain for it so who is going to watch? Who is going to pay to watch, more to the point.
    If the answer is "that large global fan base" then maybe that's true, but it'll basically sever the last dangling thread of connection between the traditional fan and the club. But I guess if you're a business that doesn't matter. So long as the money is coming in from somewhere, right?
    Spurs?

Who the fuck are they ??

lol, I know they are no different, but I just meant from an Arsenal perspective - no one cares about Spurs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You could ask the same about Spurs. Yes, they're better than us right now but only marginally. They haven't won a big trophy since 1991 (no, Spurs, you don't get to count the league cup), they haven't won a title since Noah was in short trousers.
    BUT, what do Arsenal and Spurs have in common? Shiny new big stadiums and a large, global fan base. Think of all that lovely money!
    It's so transparent, it's embarrassing.

I can't see this happening. It's united football fans in their distain for it so who is going to watch? Who is going to pay to watch, more to the point.
    If the answer is "that large global fan base" then maybe that's true, but it'll basically sever the last dangling thread of connection between the traditional fan and the club. But I guess if you're a business that doesn't matter. So long as the money is coming in from somewhere, right?
    Spurs global fan base is a mythical thing. Nobody in the outside white Europe or Americas cares a hoot about Spurs. No one here buys their tat. Maybe the Koreans are Son fans but I have never come across a Spurs fan outside my being in the UK
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Sounds like Kroenke is heavily involved, along with the other American owners
    I would say that is pretty much a given, this is a heavily 'American influenced' idea of sporting competition.

"This corner kick is brought to you by ENOC - keeping the world moving!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it's obvious the American owners bought these teams with a hindsight this was gonna happen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Spurs global fan base is a mythical thing. Nobody in the outside white Europe or Americas cares a hoot about Spurs. No one here buys their tat. Maybe the Koreans are Son fans but I have never come across a Spurs fan outside my being in the UK
    City doesn't have one either, and Chelsea barring a few places, don't really have much either.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    A mate went to South Africa and told me the PL is big over there and he met lots of Spurs fans.
    And yes, there's the Son thing.
    They have around 37-38 million followers on social media.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/which-f...h1kxkb7qbdo7qn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tbh if we were going to do it then it should replace the PL - then we'd never have to play the likes of Burnley again - I can see the advantage in that but this is a pointless halfway house that upsets everything and gains nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we're really not messing about are we...

https://arseblog.news/2021/04/arsena...ub-association

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reports today that Bayern, PSG & Dortmund will also be signing up.

Obviously PSG will follow the money but yesterday when no Germans were involved, the media were banging on about how their fan ownership models were the way to go and praising them. That aged well