User Tag List

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: European Super League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't understand why anyone is surprised about this move. This didn't happen overnight, or recently. As far as the EPL is concerned, it started when foreign commercial investors - particularly the Americans - were invited to run our clubs. That was when the genie was released, not now. If you look at it from the perspective of owners who only care for their financial investment a Super league basically run on the American model - makes total sense.

I hate the idea like most fans - but for me its ironic to see EPL clubs who have wallowed in the obscene TV money available - are now up in arms when the big bucks approach is taken to another level. You jump on the express train, and then wail when it fails to stop at your station.

The talk of clubs being banned from the top flight or players being banned from playing for their countries is about as real a threat as the sanctions being taken against racism. It won't happen because revenue trumps everything. It seems ridiculous that our club (and Spurs) should be considered as part of the elite given current form, but look at the rich list and it seems less absurd.

It's depressing, but clearly this is the future, and ther is little point in wailing about it now.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    The UEFA and European Brussels admin are trying to push across the whole leagues a 51% fan ownership model similar to what obtains in Germany. This ownership thing is what prevents German clubs with being on board with this. I imagine now they will try to fast track this new law now. It will force Kroenke and co to become minority owners (UK maybe exempt bc of Brexit). If passed it will kill this Super league dead in its tracks as no fan dominated board will go along with it. Its probably why these billionaire owners are fast tracking this. they want it to be a fait accompli before the European legislation is passed.

Battle lines have certainly been drawn
    It's a great idea but you can bet your bottom dollar that it wont be able to be retrospectively enforced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EUFA Statement:

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/medi...-the-premier-/

most notably:
    As previously announced by FIFA and the six Confederations, the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.
    so then what?

What exactly would be the point of any of these clubs existing if they are only in one league, excluded from everything else?

But hey, money, right....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic.
    This is absolutely insane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    But hey, money, right....
    Right. But where's that money going to come from? Obviously clubs have been picked for their global fan base.
    But from the reaction I've seen that global fan base thinks this is bullshit.
    Are the clubs banking on the fact that while many people are pissed off, enough will still want to see their team to pay to watch this?
    They might be right. It's completely alienate the traditional support but I guess if enough other people around the world will keep paying then who cares, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt global fans would lap it up, they provide more commercially for these clubs than any domestic fans do. Certain foreign TV stations can also comfortably outbid BT & Sky in securing deals too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Right. But where's that money going to come from? Obviously clubs have been picked for their global fan base.
    But from the reaction I've seen that global fan base thinks this is bullshit.
    Are the clubs banking on the fact that while many people are pissed off, enough will still want to see their team to pay to watch this?
    They might be right. It's completely alienate the traditional support but I guess if enough other people around the world will keep paying then who cares, right?
    I'm not entirely sure, but we can guess that some streaming services will bid for the rights to show the games.

JP Morgan (the great reset) is financing it's creation, although I'm not sure what they are getting out of it in return.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/sport...818691307.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I have no doubt global fans would lap it up, they provide more commercially for these clubs than any domestic fans do. Certain foreign TV stations can also comfortably outbid BT & Sky in securing deals too.
    This is true.

I saw a post on twitter last night that DANZ (some tv station abroad) was willing to pay €3-4 billion for the tv rights in it's respective country

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    I can see it now - get in the ESL, not invest any money in the squad, sit in the lower part of the table and achieve nothing.

woohoo.
    Stan will be happy though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WGC Goon View Post
    Stan will be happy though
    No relegation either.

20th place trophy.

Sporting merit.