Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently we've got loads of money to spend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBapologist View Post
    And yet?

But I guess people will choose to read what they want to read.
    Arsene may not directly be on some crusade to prove everybody wrong but he sure has hell sits on funds. We sold Kolo & Ade the other year and Arsene & the board specifically said that all the funds from those sales were available to reinvest in the team, Arsene didn't buy anybody.

Arsene sets a very rigid criteria when it comes to buying players, he seems to set his valuations and if those aren't met then he won't buy. All this finding the "right" player stuff he comes out with pretty much backs this up. He would rather not buy and make do with what he has than go that extra mile and spend the extra when necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf, we spent 15m of that money the following January on Arshavin, 10m apiece on Vermaelen and Koscielny in the following 18 months as well. That was during the period where we needed a safety zone more than a title-winning team (in terms of the financial well-being of the club), I know people don't like to think of the financial side but it's become increasingly important to setting up the club and the team the right way and gaining long-term success to be a little more prudent rather than Redknapping it all on average players for big fees and big wages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vela View Post
    rather than Redknapping it all on average players for big fees and big wages.
    Isn't that what we do minus the big fees anyway?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No point in going over this stuff with AKB. The guys a nutter.

What's been said has been said before....say no more.

Money isn't the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbf, we spent 15m of that money the following January on Arshavin, 10m apiece on Vermaelen and Koscielny in the following 18 months as well. That was during the period where we needed a safety zone more than a title-winning team (in terms of the financial well-being of the club), I know people don't like to think of the financial side but it's become increasingly important to setting up the club and the team the right way and gaining long-term success to be a little more prudent rather than Redknapping it all on average players for big fees and big wages.
    The figures don't add up. Neither do the statements coming out of the club from all and sundry stating we have money to spend.

I'm pretty sure the money (not Citeh or Chelsea style) is there but our manager is reluctant to spend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Isn't that what we do minus the big fees anyway?
    Well, Squillaci is a 'special' talent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    The figures don't add up. Neither do the statements coming out of the club from all and sundry stating we have money to spend.

I'm pretty sure the money (not Citeh or Chelsea style) is there but our manager is reluctant to spend.
    I think it's more accurate to say our manger WAS reluctant to spend, I'm not doubting that we could have spent more than we did in the last 4/5 years but that the prudence was understandable at that point. Now that we have a stronger financial base we can spend a little more, ofc Wenger isn't going to completely change his opinions on spending but I wouldn't be surprised to see a few bigger names coming in, that's all strictly speculation though. I agree that there's money there to spend and now new blood is needed I think we'll spend some of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Squillaci is a 'special' talent
    But that's the whole point, Squid may well be a useless POS right now, a player who would never make it into any other PL team and a complete waste of the money we paid for him and a total fucking liability every time he sets foot on the pitch. But give it a few years and Wenger will have moulded him into a world beater. Let's say we can sell him for £370-£2,287million in maybe 3 years. Even when you knock off the £226million paid in wages over that time, - that's good business right?
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We may not be able to compete with the likes of Chelsea and Man City, but there are enough funds available to go after quality, experienced footballers who would add value to the squad. Players like Vermaelen and Sagna didn't cost an arm and a leg, but both have improved the team significantly since their arrival. The sad fact is that Wenger chooses not to spend the funds available, because he's become a deluded ideologue who believes it's his way or the highway. He is so ideologically invested in his youth project that he will keep perservering with it despite all the evidence that it's not working, until we drop out of Europe altogether and maybe then the board will wake up and smell the coffee, and hopefully sack him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.transferleague.co.uk/leag...2006-2011.html

We've been outspent by 25 other clubs in England alone over the last 5 years, including the likes of Wolves, Swansea, Hull and Blackpool. While charging the highest amount for tickets...

So let's stop with the 'oh noes we're broke and we can't afford to spend on quality or else we'll go bankrupt' stuff.

The King Is Back.