User Tag List

Page 141 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 1430

Thread: Euro 2020

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, we lost to Iceland last Euros so yeah, that was a low point!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    and yet
    And yet what? We got to the final and just about lost on penalties?
    3 years ago we got to the World Cup semi-final.

Now I agree we didn't have the toughest tests on either occasion, but we're hardly embarrassing ourselves every 5 minutes like we've been known to in the past.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Just Like Arsenal. England wont improve unless they get a better manager. Southgate wouldnt last a season at any of the top 8 PL clubs, yet is at the highest profile job in the UK. Keep deluding yourselves. A manager who doesnt have the nerve to substitute Kane even for 20 mins is a dunce, Brings on Rhinos like Henderson as soon as he has a slimmest of leads is just a survivalist. You had the easiest side of the draw, home advantage almost all the way and yet.

"You couldnt live with your failure, so your failure brought you back to me......I am inevitable" Thanos or Nemesis in the case of England
    Yes the Henderson sub really did give away Southgate's whole attitude, really stupid and negative sub

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I think we've improved.

Our game management is a lot better, the way we held the ball against Denmark and didn't panic. Even last night, we didn't get overrun. Italy were probably the best team in the tournament - they haven't lost for 30-something games - and we took them the distance. Italy dominated the second half but they weren't hammering us. There were a few scares but they didn't calve us open. At times we do look like a proper team, our passing and movement are good.

But...being at home, it was our best chance since '96 to win a tournament, we went one step further this time but didn't win it. And yeah, with the morons I doubt we'll get to host one again any time soon. So I suspect we won't win anything for the foreseeable.
    There is that but you could also say we needed a ridiculous Sterling dive to just about kill off Denmark in the first place. A Denmark who had been in Baku two days before, they were dead on their feet and mentally beaten.

We didn't really get overrun but for the bulk of the game we defended with all 11 players. There were times Sterling was the furthest forward (Kane was fucking about somewhere else) and he was fifteen yards inside our own half. In the first half Italy had no idea how to break through, but second half, especially when Immobile went off, they controlled it. We only even countered in the first twenty minutes or so when it looked like they didn't have any full backs. Apart from that the only plan was smash it up to Kane, which worked once or twice against Chiellini... then they stuck Bonucci against him and he was dominated.

2016 was hilarious an outlier, but are the last two tournaments really any different to 98, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 or 2012? We're not picking donkeys like Heskey anymore but we look alright then come up against the first half decent team and get beaten.
    Last edited by Shaqiri Is Boss; 13-07-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqiri Is Boss View Post
    There is that but you could also say we needed a ridiculous Sterling dive to just about kill off Denmark in the first place. A Denmark who had been in Baku two days before, they were dead on their feet and mentally beaten.

We didn't really get overrun but for the bulk of the game we defended with all 11 players. There were times Sterling was the furthest forward (Kane was fucking about somewhere else) and he was fifteen yards inside our own half. In the first half Italy had no idea how to break through, but second half, especially when Immobile went off, they controlled it. We only even countered in the first twenty minutes or so when it looked like they didn't have any full backs. Apart from that the only plan was smash it up to Kane, which worked once or twice against Chiellini... then they stuck Bonucci against him and he was dominated.

2016 was [s]hilarious[s] and outlier, but are the last two tournaments really any different to 98, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010 or 2012? We're not picking donkeys like Heskey anymore but we look alright then come up against the first half decent team and get beaten
    2014 was also dogshit (think we got knocked out in group stages without winning a game?) so the improvement from 2014 & 16 has been immense.

I think one of the key differences with Southgate’s team is that he has made them likeable. Previously most couldn’t care for the English team and even within the squads, older players have talked of club rivalries causing problems whereas this time there is none of that.

Resident Liverpool Fan Shaqiri Is Boss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    2014 was also dogshit (think we got knocked out in group stages without winning a game?) so the improvement from 2014 & 16 has been immense.

I think one of the key differences with Southgate’s team is that he has made them likeable. Previously most couldn’t care for the English team and even within the squads, older players have talked of club rivalries causing problems whereas this time there is none of that.
    2014 was abysmal but the group had Italy and Uruguay, and ironically the best result was against the surprise Costa Rica... when people thought Joel Campbell was decent

In this year's group we couldn't beat Scotland and only scored two ffs.

We are obviously better than 2012 and 2014 but they were the worst England teams in decades so if we're using that as the bar then the bar isn't even low it's on the floor. My point is that were just reverting to where we usually are, the only difference is we've had the luck of the draw.
    Last edited by Shaqiri Is Boss; 13-07-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaqiri Is Boss View Post
    There is that but you could also say we needed a ridiculous Sterling dive to just about kill off Denmark in the first place.
    I think that's a bit harsh, we completely dominated Denmark. There are really fine lines in football, against Germany there was the Muller chance. He puts that away - as he would have 9 times out of 10 - and who knows what would have happened? Had Rashford scored his penalty we'd probably have won the whole thing - I know others missed but that was the one which really changed the balance of pressure. Fine lines.

I didn't enjoy watching us in the group stages but we grew into the tournament and overall I thought we played pretty well. But I do now thing that it's never coming home. This was our best chance and we blew it. So while I don't think Southgate should be sacked and I think he's the right person to lead us in to the World Cup, but I'm not expecting that much from us there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute embarrassment the level of hate directed towards Rashford, I mean to deface his mural, how sad of a life do you have to lead to do that? I’ve heard people say these aren’t real fans etc. Well, they absolutely are. In fact these are probably the most passionate of England fans and that is the problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Absolute embarrassment the level of hate directed towards Rashford, I mean to deface his mural, how sad of a life do you have to lead to do that? I’ve heard people say these aren’t real fans etc. Well, they absolutely are. In fact these are probably the most passionate of England fans and that is the problem.
    It’s a problem in general for football. Racism seems to appear when sides lose.

The abuse Saka, Rashford etc have received is wrong, there is no debate and those dishing it out deserve any punishment that goes their way.

But its not just a problem in England. When Germany lost in 2018, Ozil suffered racist abuse (even his team mates joined in from memory), Italian fans directed monkey chants at Lukaku & others (to put them off during the game/banter was their excuse), the French players that come from Africa often get abused when they lose. The less said about the Russians the better given teh amount of racism their fans dish out even to black players on their own team.

It’s a problem football needs to fix but there are some pretending its only an English problem, it absolutely isnt.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie the Optimist View Post
    It’s a problem football needs to fix but there are some pretending its only an English problem, it absolutely isnt.
    Correct. But we do like to pontificate about those awful racist and thuggish foreigners, and then we get all this shit.