Thread: Athletics Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athletics Thread

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/13554876.stm

Bolt is back after 10 months out and won.

Powell does what Powell does best. Choke.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mullings and Gay just ran the same time. Mullings gets the decision though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bolt had his first 200m race for over a year recently and won piss easily.

The World Championships are later on this year.

Cant wait

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GB team for the 100m dropped the baton for the relays in the final of the European Team Championship.

They were massive favourites as well having broken the championship record in the semis

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tyson Gay will not race in the World Championships after he pulled out of the trials with an injury so we won't see him against Bolt in the 100m or 200m. He could still make the relay team.

Justin Gatlin is also back after a 4 year ban

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USAIN BOLT insists he still faces a battle to hold on to his world 100 metres title this summer despite the absence of arch-rival Tyson Gay.

American Gay pulled up during the US trials last weekend with a hip injury - forcing him to miss the rest of the season.
    Gay was the first man to beat Bolt over 100m since Beijing, with victory in Stockholm a year ago. He had also posted the fastest time this season with 9.79secs.
    But Olympic and world champion Bolt, who has looked sluggish in his opening 100m races this season, managing a best of 9.91secs, claims he faces stiff competition from fellow Jamaicans Steve Mullings and Yohan Blake. Mullings, a training partner of Gay, set a personal best of 9.80secs earlier this month.
    Bolt, who will compete over his favoured 200m in Paris next week as he warms up for the World Championships in South Korea, said: "My schedule and build up won't change.
    "It doesn't mean I'm going to relax as I know and expect strong challenges from even my own team-mates in Jamaica and the Caribbean."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1QmsfqLcw
    9.80, wtf?

What do they put in the Jamaican water?

A world record in the relays coming up

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BRITAIN'S track and field athletes will be banned from going to next year's London 2012 opening ceremony.

Outspoken head coach Charles van Commenee has told all his athletes that they will not be able to take part in the team parade at the spectacular event in the Olympic Stadium on July 27 next year.

It means punters who have paid up to £2,012 for top seats will miss out on seeing the likes of top stars such as Jessica Ennis, Phillips Idowu and Christine Ohuruogu.

And none of them will be able to carry the Union Jack flag at the head of the team.

Van Commenee, head coach of UK Athletics, revealed on Thursday: "I've told all the athletes they can't go to the opening ceremony.

"It's not feasible and I think they will agree with me in the end. It doesn't fit in with professional preparation for the biggest event of your life.

"They wouldn't go shopping for eight hours before the biggest competition of their life so why stand on your feet for hours at an opening ceremony. They can go to the closing ceremony instead."

Team GB members who took part in the opening ceremony for the Beijing Games three years ago were forced to stand around for hours and endure temperatures of more than 100 degrees in the stadium.

No-nonsense Dutchman van Commenee also admitted he would meet athletes later this year to advise them about the use of social networking sites such as Twitter.

It followed a Twitter row with triple-jumper Idowu, who will defend his title in South Korea next month.

Idowu controversially pulled out of the British squad for the European Team Championships in Stockholm last month with van Commenee claiming he had announced it on Twitter.

It prompted a furious response from Idowu who accused Van Commenee of being a "blatant liar".

But Van Commenee insisted: "We've both decided to leave the incident behind us. What we have in common is the World Championships in Daegu and London 2012 after that. That is what we are focused on.

"But the use of social media is on the agenda at a meeting with athletes. Personally I stick to the facts which is good advice.

"If athletes share facts rather than feelings you can't argue withe facts.

"We're not going to ban social networking. We travel with more than 100 people including staff and if you had to check on them all 24 hours a day it would be impossible.

"When you give athletes advice with good reasons they usually follow that. They are adults and I don't think sanctions or bans are feasible or will stop incidents from happening."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1SIvMbEsM

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TWO fiery French runners have been suspended after having a PUNCH-UP after a race.

Team-mates Mehdi Baala and Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad came to blows after crossing the finishing line in the 1,500m in the Monaco Diamond League.

Video: Runners' brawl after race

Athletes Mehdi Baala and Mahiedine Mekhissi-Benabbad go blow-for-blow
    Sport

Baala finished ninth in Friday's race while Mekhissi, the Olympic 3,000m steeplechase silver-medallist, came in 11th - but an attempt to console each other went badly wrong.

The furore started when Baala head-butted Mekhissi who then responded by swinging his arms wildly - throwing a succession of punches at his colleague's face.

The pair were separated on the track but the row did not stop there as they exchanged strong words in the media soon after.

Baala, 32, said: "People like that don't have a their place in sport. But saying that, it's very rare to see a*******s like him."

He went on to say: "I wanted to break him in two."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz1T8LUMAW1

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New world 100m champion Yohan Blake produced a personal best of 9.82 seconds to beat Asafa Powell in Zurich at the latest Diamond League meeting.

Powell, who claimed he was carrying an injury going into the race, had no answer to Blake's sparkling run - his first since taking the world title.

"Usain Bolt told me I'd win tonight but to make sure I do it sub-10 seconds," Blake told BBC Sport.

Britain's Jenny Meadows finished third in the 800m to win the Diamond Race.

Meadows, who failed to make the final in Daegu last month, finished behind world champion Mariya Savinova of Russia and feels her result in Zurich - which saw her win the prize for the season's most consistent performer - provides some consolation.

"I was so disappointed not to even make the final in Daegu so I'm happy with third. I thought I ran a good race tonight," said Meadows.

Britain's relay team made amends for their disastrous performance in the 100m relay with a narrow defeat to Jamaica.

Craig Pickering, James Ellington and Marlon Devonish handed over to Mark Lewis-Francis with a clear lead over Jamaicans before the world record-holders chased the Briton down.

Click to play
    Zurich win will silence critics - Blake
    "I got ran down by a Jamaican - I can't complain," Lewis-Francis said.

In the evening's other events, Cuba's Dayron Robles blasted out of the blocks to clinch the 110m metres hurdles in a time of 13.01, finishing ahead of newly-crowned world champion Jason Richardson.

Britain's Andy Turner, a bronze medallist at the world championships in Daegu last month, finished fifth in a time of 13.41.

"My body is beginning to fall apart. I'm just going to have a good rest, and come back next year stronger," said Turner.

Australia's Sally Pearson produced a technically superb run the 100m hurdles, winning in a time of 12.52.

And the promising 19-year-old Grenadian Kirani James produced a personal best time of 44.36 in the men's 400m to add to his world title.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/athletics/14843366.stm

9.82? Wtf do they put in the Jamaican water?

Olympics should be good

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diamond League Final on BBC2 at 7pm tonight

Bolt saying he wants to finish off in style