0 0%
Page 33 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Arteta be sacked by

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    When your reality is being 2nd class, accepting it and even justifying it well...thats the nub of the problem right there
    The point is for the last few seasons we've barely been second class. Let's get there before we upgrade to 1st class.
    The direction of travel is the important thing to me. Most of us see improvement this season, not just in results but in the way the team feels more cohesive. They look like they're playing for each other. That might not translate in to top 4 this year, but we are in the conversation this year where last year we weren't. If Arteta doesn't improve us more next season then fine, we should look elsewhere. I'm not sure he's the man to take on City and Liverpool. But, for now, there's progress from where we've come from. That's enough, for now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    The point is for the last few seasons we've barely been second class. Let's get there before we upgrade to 1st class.
    The direction of travel is the important thing to me. Most of us see improvement this season, not just in results but in the way the team feels more cohesive. They look like they're playing for each other. That might not translate in to top 4 this year, but we are in the conversation this year where last year we weren't. If Arteta doesn't improve us more next season then fine, we should look elsewhere. I'm not sure he's the man to take on City and Liverpool. But, for now, there's progress from where we've come from. That's enough, for now.
    This. Plus re taking on Citeh and Liverpool - if we do wish to 'upgrade' a manager in due course to push higher, then we ned to do so from a solid base that a so-called 'top manager' can build from - much like the base that Klopp had to work from. It is clear that this is what the club is now trying to schieve - to build a solid base of talented youngsters not yet in their prime that can then push again.

Re Globalgunner's comment - I don't think anyone is saying that they accept permanently being 2nd class but we have no choice but to accept the reality that since 2016 at least we have been drifitng in terms of where we want to be. Its one thing having so-called ambition, quite another realising that ambition. We have to accept also that we are simply not in a position simply to buy success like Citeh and the Chavs have been - and we are a few years behind the likes of Liverpool. in these circumstances seeking to attain 4th place first before trying to push on is not a lack of ambition, it is common sense.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reality is that no one is getting near City and Liverpool because they’re 2 of the best teams in the world and arguably 2 of the best teams the Premier League has ever seen. We all have to wait for Pep or Klopp to bugger off before anything changes there.

There’s levels to this thing and while lowering expectations doesn’t sit well, there needs to be some dose of reality. 4th isn’t everything but it’s a starting block for us.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The reality is that no one is getting near City and Liverpool because they’re 2 of the best teams in the world and arguably 2 of the best teams the Premier League has ever seen.
    I was reminded the other day how insane Liverpool's form was just before the pandemic break.
    P29 W27 D1 L1
    Mental

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    When your reality is being 2nd class, accepting it and even justifying it well...thats the nub of the problem right there
    We are in the chasing group, as others have said Citeh and Liverpool are by some distance the best teams in the division if not Europe. Sure we need to improve and Monday night was probably a bit of a reality check for us all, but we are a top 4 challenger and not miles behind the likes of Chelsea.

We have improved a fair bit this Season, Monday's result doesn't change that. Whether we have improved enough to clinch a CL Spot remains to be seen, but even if we do make CL we are likely to be one of the weakest teams in it anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not too worried about the performance on Monday - wasn’t expecting it with the run we’ve been on, but by the same token the fact that it can happen doesn’t surprise me either. Every now and then we are going to have an Everton game in us - that’s just the reality of working with a young squad. They have the talent, but they don’t yet have the experience to assess what’s coming and get themselves mentally set for different situations.

Looking back on our bad results this year, it’s usually being unprepared that’s caught us out - late Monday night kick offs causing us to lose a bit of focus, torrential rain at Brighton, the home crowds suddenly roaring to life at OT and Anfield after a couple of incidents they didn’t like, even stupid things like not testing the length of the grass at Burnley during the warm up. That sort of thing. On Monday I think it was a simple case of having our momentum broken up by the international break, our young players not yet knowing how to regroup quickly after being away (and maybe not being used to all the travel), and again having to play after everyone else late Monday evening.

On the plus side, though, whilst we still have the odd game like this in us, we’re also capable of going on 5/6/7 game winning streaks and holding our nerve in crunch games when we’re on a roll - 10 wins in our last 13 games is pretty fucking good form, tbf.

No, I’m not really that concerned about Monday’s performance - it’s the injuries that have me sweating! Partey is pretty much doing the job of two men in our new formation and is one of two ‘fixed’ positions in the team that everyone else plays off, so he’s going to be a huge loss if he’s out for a stretch. And losing Tierney on top of Tomi means that we’re left with two gung-ho fullbacks who can’t defend! For a team that’s built around structural discipline and fluidity, this could really hurt. Could really do with Tomi coming back - that would at least give us options to play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m worried tbf. Monday felt like a bit of a watershed moment for the season. Add the injuries on top of that and it doesn’t feel great.

I expect us to sneak past Brighton and I guess Southampton but after that we’ll need a monumental effort to stay in the hunt. Unless Spurs go all Spursy () we’ll probably need at least 7 points from Chelsea A, United H and West Ham A.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 07-04-2022 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I’m worried tbf. Monday felt like a bit of a watershed moment for the season. Add the injuries on top of that and it doesn’t feel great.

I expect us to sneak past Brighton and I guess Southampton but after that we’ll need a monumental effort to stay in the hunt. Unless Spurs go all Spursy () we’ll probably need at least 7 points from Chelsea A, United H and West Ham A.
    I am also worried.

And massively agree about the watershed moment. a heavy defeat and a mounting injury list. When have we seen this before? (like every bloody season)

Yes, improvements have been made, however, City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs (because they will most likely get top four) and Newcastle will be strentghening in the summer and will push us down the pecking order for next season.

We have no devine right to be up there, but it would be nice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm worried too. More about the injuries than the performance on Monday, we've had those before and bounced back. But injuries were always a risk with a squad this thin, it looks like it's going to come back to bite us

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    I'm worried too. More about the injuries than the performance on Monday, we've had those before and bounced back. But injuries were always a risk with a squad this thin, it looks like it's going to come back to bite us
    Yup!