0 0%
Page 96 of 110 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast

Thread: When will Arteta be sacked by

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    Interesting discussion and a lot I agree with from both of you.
    What a bloody awful sentence

And Letters, do you have any solid criteria which you'd expect us to meet or Arteta should go?
    I think if we fall out of the top 4 after last season and how we've spent then definitely Arteta Out.
    It's not the title or bust for me though. I want to see us standing up in games like Sunday. And as I said above, it depends on how other teams do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do words goodest
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I say the only thing I take exception to, is the idea that thinking that Arteta is holding us back, is silly because we’ve only lost one game. Again it’s not the issue of how many games we’ve lost, it’s the fact that the loss was wholly unnecessary and down to Arteta picking the wrong players and wrong tactics.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    As I say the only thing I take exception to, is the idea that thinking that Arteta is holding us back, is silly because we’ve only lost one game.
    Once more for the cheap seats - what I find silly is this thread starting up again after one poor result.
    But I would note that your dislike of Arteta seems weirdly personal, to me it seems to rob you of objectivity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    And do you regard finishing 8th as a successful season ?
    I don't think that's the point Mac was making.
    But that season is a pretty good example of what I've been talking about.
    The first half of the season was probably the worst I've seen since 92/93 - On Christmas Day it was P14 W4 D2 L8. Ouch!
    We were 4 points off relegation. The rhetoric after the Everton game which was the last of those games before Christmas was very much that relegation was a possibility and there were questions about whether that lot were up for the fight. Frankly, Arteta should have been sacked after that run. The Chelsea game probably saved his job and the run of results after that was pretty decent.
    The end result was 8th place, 6 points off top 4. Is that a successful season by our standards? Clearly not. But neither was it the relegation scrap that some on here had started to fear.

So the point remains - results to date neither place us as Champions Elect nor do they indicate we've got no chance. It's too early. It's possible to think that and also agree there are concerns, ones which will be exacerbated if we lose this weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Once more for the cheap seats - what I find silly is this thread starting up again after one poor result.
    But I would note that your dislike of Arteta seems weirdly personal, to me it seems to rob you of objectivity.
    And as I’ve pointed out to you, it’s not about one result…it’s about how that result sharpens the idea that ultimately Arteta is more singularly responsible for defeats than his players are.

I don’t like Arteta at all, in interviews I find him condescending, passive aggressive and the kind of person who I’d think was a massive prick if I knew them in real life

And yeah that can inform some of the hyperbolic rants

But ultimately, none of that would be relevant if I thought he was doing a good job. I’m not ranting about him here…I think he’s had enough time and money to prove himself, to iron out his deficiencies and make sensible signings but after almost four years it’s hard for me to conclude that he will change his ways sufficiently to get us where I think we should be
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 06-10-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The point I made was, when is the last time we had a bad or indifferent start and then went on to have a successful season. A successful season isn’t finishing 8th, it isn’t dragging our way into 4th…it’s winning things or being competitive to the end.

As I said the last time that happened was 22 years ago. It’s not a frequent thing…therefore I don’t think it’s silly to argue that a poor/indifferent start indicates a season that probably won’t be a success.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is that relevant? We haven't had an indifferent start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    How is that relevant? We haven't had an indifferent start.
    And the reason you’re saying that is because you’re watching the highlights not the whole game. You think it’s an insult/snobbery but it’s not…it’s saying you’re calling other people silly because we are just about getting over the line in mostly easy fixtures and oh it’s just one defeat when our limitations get exposed by a side that showed a bit more ambition than others we’ve played.

I think indifferent is actually me being charitable, drawing with Fulham, having our pants pulled down by Tottenham (who managed to beat Liverpool with match official incompetence) and losing to a side that is 15th in the French league is indicative of a poor start. City are in front of us despite losing to Wolves and despite having harder matches on the whole (like away at an in form West Ham side)….we’ve ground out away results to palace and Everton, and had a result against Bournemouth that flatters us due to the award of two penalties)

We’ve had I repeat one good performance all season…in 11 games.

Last season at this point, there were a few performances that were no better than ok, but no real poor performances and there were excellent ones like away at Brentford (the best I’ve seen us play in years) and at home to Spurs.

Last season, our start was a case of setting the standard to where it should be, and this season….no where near that

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason I'm saying it is the league table.