Page 109 of 111 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1110

Thread: When will Arteta be sacked by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    That's interesting. I did wonder if they'd deliberately not found out so it didn't affect them.
    Although I wonder in practice how possible that is these days.
    actually, looking at it again, he says "I turned my phone off [before the game], so I didn’t know the [Liverpool] result. I have just seen it then when I have come back in. So it is even a bit more of a kick in the teeth seeing that result."

so not clear if others knew but presumably none of them did or it would have got around...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...wn/ar-BB1lDNCZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With a couple of days to reflect, I'll admit to feeling that I have a split personality over Sunday's result.

On the one hand, it both hurts and in hindsight seems like this was in great part due to the manager failing short term to pick the right side; and longer term a result of his playing key parts of our spine into the ground - we looked totally out of gas.

On the other, Arteta's intention was clearly to pick a team that would go ahead early, and allow him perhaps to sub some players on and keep it tight. Our first half seemed to justify this selection. We played well and should have been 2 up by half time. It was our failure to do so that hurt us, as Villa - a talented team - smelt blood and employed their tactics - ie to keep it tight and score on the counter - to perfection.

This was a home game, and we needed to win to enhance our chances of taking the league. I can see why the manager tried to be positive. It didn't work, but I think that the pain of almost certainly now being outsiders for the title obscures the fact that in Citeh we face a relentless juggernaught that puts pressure on the competition before a ball is kicked. I'm still gutted, but trying to be objective perhaps I feel less angry when I realise that I wanted to kill our team on Sunday for failing to achieve perfection...which is an unrealistic expectation.

That said, if I don't see a bounce back from this and we fall off like we did last season, then I too may start to question whether the manager really has what it takes to progress with us...
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I will get this going.
    Another season ends in Mid April after another promising start ends with nothing.
    We had the chance to beat a weak Munich side and reach the CL semi-final and we failed. This was following a piss poor performance against Villa. Time to go Mikel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ll see what happens with the league, if we can take it to the end then I’d respect that and just accept it wasn’t meant to be. If we give up and spiral out of control I wouldn’t really blame anyone for suggesting a new coach is needed to kick us on.

Arteta has done a great job taking us to this level but there’s obviously a bit of a glass ceiling in place that for whatever reason we keep struggling to overcome. We did not go out fighting last night, we went out with a whimper and that’s a huge red flag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Winning the next three games is a must. No ifs, ands or buts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    We’ll see what happens with the league, if we can take it to the end then I’d respect that and just accept it wasn’t meant to be. If we give up and spiral out of control I wouldn’t really blame anyone for suggesting a new coach is needed to kick us on.

Arteta has done a great job taking us to this level but there’s obviously a bit of a glass ceiling in place that for whatever reason we keep struggling to overcome. We did not go out fighting last night, we went out with a whimper and that’s a huge red flag.
    I mostly agree with this although I saw the second half last night and thought we did OK.
    This is not a "weak" Bayern side, for all their domestic wobbles this year they're still a good side with a load of experience at this level. We closed them down well and restricted them to few chances. After their goal the game became more open so inevitably that gave Bayern more chances but even then I thought we defended well. We were ineffective up front and that is a bit of a concern but not a surprise. You're not going to get many chances in a game like this, when they do come along you need someone clinical who can take them. We know we don't have that in our locker right now.
    I don't agree with Chippy that the Villa performance was "piss poor" either, first half we dominated them, on another day we could have been a couple of goals up at half time. Villa are a good side. Disappointing result certainly - I'm still more annoyed about that one than last night - but it wasn't a thumping against a side who should be cannon fodder for us.

I see this team as a work in progress. I do feel there's been some progression since last year. 4 points from Liverpool, 4 points from City. They've been standing up in some of the big games that failed in last season. But if we do completely collapse now then that would be very worrying and make me think Arteta can't take us any further. We have to beat Wolves, go top and put a bit of pressure on. I suspect it won't worry City, but they might have a bit of a CL hangover themselves, if Chelsea beat then at the weekend (unlikely, I suspect) then maybe they'll have a wobble and we could get back in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly agree with this although I saw the second half last night and thought we did OK.
    This is not a "weak" Bayern side, for all their domestic wobbles this year they're still a good side with a load of experience at this level. We closed them down well and restricted them to few chances. After their goal the game became more open so inevitably that gave Bayern more chances but even then I thought we defended well. We were ineffective up front and that is a bit of a concern but not a surprise. You're not going to get many chances in a game like this, when they do come along you need someone clinical who can take them. We know we don't have that in our locker right now.
    I don't agree with Chippy that the Villa performance was "piss poor" either, first half we dominated them, on another day we could have been a couple of goals up at half time. Villa are a good side. Disappointing result certainly - I'm still more annoyed about that one than last night - but it wasn't a thumping against a side who should be cannon fodder for us.

I see this team as a work in progress. I do feel there's been some progression since last year. 4 points from Liverpool, 4 points from City. They've been standing up in some of the big games that failed in last season. But if we do completely collapse now then that would be very worrying and make me think Arteta can't take us any further. We have to beat Wolves, go top and put a bit of pressure on. I suspect it won't worry City, but they might have a bit of a CL hangover themselves, if Chelsea beat then at the weekend (unlikely, I suspect) then maybe they'll have a wobble and we could get back in it.
    I disagree completely, whilst it’s all relative this very much is a weak Bayern side

The Bayern side that walloped us 10-2 was miles better than this one in almost every area of the pitch

It’s no coincidence that they hadn’t got past the 1/4 finals since 2020. They beat United in both games because United are appalling.

But this was an eminently beatable Bayern side, one I would argue that certainly would be no tougher to beat than Spurs over two legs and we botched it
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 18-04-2024 at 09:45 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was nothing special in how Bayern performed over the 2 legs, they were just solid and looked after the ball a lot better than we did. We shit the bed in the first leg and it was quite obvious in the second half last night there was no belief that we could get a result. We won the ball back a lot in dangerous areas but once we needed to make decisions we started to dither and the forwards became static. Only Rice and Odegaard were trying to crank up the tempo, Saka, Martinelli and Havertz were hiding all game.

This was a doable task for us but we didn’t handle the occasion very well at all. You only had to look at their relief at the final whistle at getting through. When the draw was made we were considered favourites for this tie even in Germany.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 18-04-2024 at 09:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    When the draw was made we were considered favourites for this tie even in Germany.
    Really? Did you consider us favourites? I certainly didn't. I didn't think we were underdogs either.
    I agree they were beatable but they're not cannon fodder who we should have been sweeping aside.

Bayern would wallop Spurs over 2 legs, HCZ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really? Did you consider us favourites? I certainly didn't. I didn't think we were underdogs either.
    I agree they were beatable but they're not cannon fodder who we should have been sweeping aside.

Bayern would wallop Spurs over 2 legs, HCZ
    I’m sorry but that’s not true. United were close to getting a draw against them in Munich. They have a couple of very good players - Kane, Musiala and Davies. The rest are average to good. Goretzka, Kimmich….Sane and Gnabry are often inconsistent and Coman is a busted flush

Real Madrid will absolutely turn them over as City would have done