Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110
Results 1,091 to 1,097 of 1097

Thread: When will Arteta be sacked by

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Really? Did you consider us favourites? I certainly didn't. I didn't think we were underdogs either.
    I agree they were beatable but they're not cannon fodder who we should have been sweeping aside.

Bayern would wallop Spurs over 2 legs, HCZ
    We were actually third favourites for the competition, which astounded me.

I thought it was a 50/50 tie and to be fair both legs panned out that way. I just felt that we didn’t cover ourselves in much glory here and didn’t leave it all out there on the pitch. I didn’t expect to go through after the first leg but I can’t really accept not even having a shot in the second half and corners not even clearing the front post. You wouldn’t have thought that we were losing and chasing a goal to stay in the tournament given the lack of urgency. You could just see the belief dwindling and that’s not something you’d really associate with winning teams.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I’m sorry but that’s not true.
    Which part?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    We were actually third favourites for the competition, which astounded me.
    I saw that, but God alone knows what that was based on. Always felt like complete bullshit to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Which part?
    That Bayern would wipe the floor with Spurs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    That Bayern would wipe the floor with Spurs
    Well, it's not true. Or false. We're talking about a theoretical tie which hasn't happened and won't happen. Not this season anyway.

I'm not sure what value cherry picking past results brings. My general feeling is Bayern are better than Spurs. It's a bit hard to compare across leagues of course but certainly if Spurs drew Bayern I'd regard the latter as pretty strong favourites.
    Spurs are better at counter attacking than us so they might have scored more than we did, but they're not as strong in defence so they'd probably have conceded more too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    There was nothing special in how Bayern performed over the 2 legs, they were just solid and looked after the ball a lot better than we did. We shit the bed in the first leg and it was quite obvious in the second half last night there was no belief that we could get a result. We won the ball back a lot in dangerous areas but once we needed to make decisions we started to dither and the forwards became static. Only Rice and Odegaard were trying to crank up the tempo, Saka, Martinelli and Havertz were hiding all game.

This was a doable task for us but we didn’t handle the occasion very well at all. You only had to look at their relief at the final whistle at getting through. When the draw was made we were considered favourites for this tie even in Germany.
    I agree with both your posts mate - with one qualification. I also don't think Bayern did much that was special - although they do have a CL pedigree and experience that is an advantage at this level.

What they had, but we didn't/don't was game changer players who stepped up when needed. Our players wilted - particularly in the second half. Saka was anonymous, as was Havertz, Martinelli was ineffective; Odegard looked spent; Jesus and Trossard did the opposite of what they did when they came on in the home tie.

And this is what concerns me. This is the time of the season when legs are tired and this is bound to affect our collective cohesion. What we saw happen on Sunday and last night was the team revert to a robotic and predictable style of play that was far too ponderous and imprecise to create any real scoring opportunities after they had gone ahead. We needed someone to take responsibility and make something happen, but none of our vaunted players did. For me its not the result that is the issue, it's how flat and predictable we looked - how easy to defend against, and how too many players hid. As you say.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta has reached the limit of his talent for us. He bottled the end of last season, and the chant was. Give him another chance. He won't take us to the next level. 4 seasons should have made that plain as can be.
    Make 2mrw better than 2day