User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Match reaction V Burnley Away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Tbh, unless there's a genuine chance to get someone like Conte immediately (which I don't think there is) then I'm not in any great rush to make a change. If all we're looking at is Eddie Howes and Paulo Fonsecas, or yesterday's men like Mourinho, then I think I'd rather just let Arteta and Edu carry on with what they're doing.

Are they moving the needle on the pitch? Not a great deal - the defence is better, but the attack is in limbo. But... they are, slowly but surely, driving out all the bums and problem-players, reducing the size of our bloated squad and getting the wage bill under control again. They are modernising our approach to player identification and recruitment, and are rebuilding us around younger, more athletic players with sell-on value. They seem to be getting on top of contracts and have stopped the exodus of our best academy talents. And they're reestablishing pride and professional standards, and technical fundamentals like shape and how to defend. We are actually ticking off problems under these guys.

Sure, they've made some mistakes along the way (Willian, Cedric, the way Saliba has been handled, etc), but that's going to happen with rookies - we're basically talking about the managerial and executive equivalents of Saka or Smith Rowe, so they're still learning themselves. On the whole, though, I think they at least give a shit and are genuinely trying to do what's right for the club - they at least see and acknowledge the mess the club is in and are attempting to do something about it. That's more than I can say for anyone else who's come before them since we fell out of the CL places.

As you say, if the threat of relegation ever becomes serious then that will obviously put a rush on making a change, but in the meantime the worst that will happen is we still won't be in Europe and we'll all be a little bored. I can live with that for another year or so if it means that the next manager then walks into a club with no fires to put out and a solid platform to build on (much like when Wenger picked up GG's defence and built on it).

As I said on the other thread, I think that as fans we now have no alternative but to accept the new normal in terms of our club's position. Make no mistake, both the appointment of Arteta but more importantly the direction that the club has now taken in building with young players (not to mention the significant investment) is no short term fix, and the sooner we accept this, the happier I think we will be. Whether Arteta has what it takes to make this work is yet to be seen (and its completely understandable why many Gooners are sceptical), but I agree that we need to be careful who we wish for as an alternative - particularly at this stage. Again, I think we need to get our heads around the fact that it is unlikely that a so called 'super manager' would wish to come in and develop the squad (we aren't going to reverse our decided policy and try to buy more immdiate success at this stage, nor should we do so - and we are firmly out of the upper echelons of Europe for a while - so I just cant see the incentive for an established manager with a track record of success to come to Arsenal).

As you say, other than this we are left with relatively inexperienced managers or has beens, and we really do need to be careful what we wish for here. The latter could screw us up even more, and the former would be replacing Arteta like for like.

So yes, I think we need to sit tight and hopefully enjoy seeing some progress now, rather than expecting even top 6 this season. Perhaps there will be less angst if we do.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he brings Xhaka back against Spurs then he has no hope of making it to Xmas. Spurs even looking 3rd best against Chelsea`s quality midfield will tear us a new one. I hope Partey can play as that will be Arteta`s ready made excuse to plump that Swiss roadblock back into the middle of the park.

Conte and Zidane are eminently available and gettable. It just needs the Kroenkes to pick up the phone
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    If he brings Xhaka back against Spurs then he has no hope of making it to Xmas. Spurs even looking 3rd best against Chelsea`s quality midfield will tear us a new one. I hope Partey can play as that will be Arteta`s ready made excuse to plump that Swiss roadblock back into the middle of the park.

Conte and Zidane are eminently available and gettable. It just needs the Kroenkes to pick up the phone
    Mate I think that you are as mistaken in your belief that the likes of Conte and Zidane are an option for us as you were re the Xhaka and the NLD. I am not suggesting that Arsenal is not a draw at all, or that we don't have decent players. But we are now firmly a work in progress and these managers are not the types to take on a 3/4 year project overseas, nor are they what we need now.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter