User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brighton v The Arsenal 2 Oct 2021 5.30pm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    So you expect us to win every game? We have finished halfway down the table for two seasons running under a novice who happens to still be in charge. Any progress is going to be pretty minimal with him in charge IMO. For all the comments such as "Our standards are so low now", well yeah they are because right now anything better than finishing 8th is an improvement.
    I used to expect them to win every game. That was the minimum expectation. I also wanted them to play well in the process and entertain the fans. Expectations cannot always be delivered, but always begin with the intent to win and do it in the right spirit. If every other club has the same intentions then you have a decent league, instead of what we have endured for at least the last decade. But my post was more a reflection of the abusive relationship between the club and the fans. Quality has been allowed to fall off the cliff, with a thousand excuses in attendance. But I notice the cost to fans has not declined, it continues to increase. And now the club doesn't even have enough respect to honour the traditional kit, such is its eagerness to rape the fans - while delivering the odd bout of "glory" from a lake of sewage.

Don't mind me. This is just my transition from fan to jilted lover to comprehensive indifference. Should be done by the end of this season.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    I used to expect them to win every game. That was the minimum expectation. I also wanted them to play well in the process and entertain the fans. Expectations cannot always be delivered, but always begin with the intent to win and do it in the right spirit. If every other club has the same intentions then you have a decent league, instead of what we have endured for at least the last decade. But my post was more a reflection of the abusive relationship between the club and the fans. Quality has been allowed to fall off the cliff, with a thousand excuses in attendance. But I notice the cost to fans has not declined, it continues to increase. And now the club doesn't even have enough respect to honour the traditional kit, such is its eagerness to rape the fans - while delivering the odd bout of "glory" from a lake of sewage.

Don't mind me. This is just my transition from fan to jilted lover to comprehensive indifference. Should be done by the end of this season.
    I don't for one minute think we don't intend to go out and win every game, I just think we have limitations in both the coaching and playing staff. Honestly, my expectations have adjusted a fair bit the past season or so. I don't expect us to get beat every week, but I am also realistic in that I don't expect us to finish anywhere near top 4, I also don't expect us to progress that much under Arteta in terms of league position and improvement in team performance. The quality of coaching and I guess the style of play has declined quite a bit I agree, we are arguably the most inconsistent team in the Division, you literally do not know what you are going to get with Arsenal from one game to the next. That aside, all this value for money stuff is just what it is...it doesn't work like that in Football and certainly doesn't work like that in Modern society.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I don't for one minute think we don't intend to go out and win every game, I just think we have limitations in both the coaching and playing staff. Honestly, my expectations have adjusted a fair bit the past season or so. I don't expect us to get beat every week, but I am also realistic in that I don't expect us to finish anywhere near top 4, I also don't expect us to progress that much under Arteta in terms of league position and improvement in team performance. The quality of coaching and I guess the style of play has declined quite a bit I agree, we are arguably the most inconsistent team in the Division, you literally do not know what you are going to get with Arsenal from one game to the next. That aside, all this value for money stuff is just what it is...it doesn't work like that in Football and certainly doesn't work like that in Modern society.
    Maybe I'm feeling particularly equanimical this morning, but much as I agree with you about Arteta and inconsistency, i think we do need to learn to live with the new normal for reasons that are not directly connected with our manager.

Maybe I am naive/optimistic, but I do have reasonable expectations of a top 6 finish this season. This is based on the fact that our team is clearly in much better shape than it was at this time last season, and the fact that once we got settled after Christmas we showed top 4 form. Over the past 10 months I do not think that we have been as inconsistent as we are made out to be - measured against reasonable expectations, not the exectation of winnign every game. Outside our own club, I am not sure how much has changed in the EPL for this season. Outside Citeh and the Chavs (too well resourced and exceptional managers), and Liverpool (exceptional manager and extremely well-built and balanced team), who is likely to beat all comers this season (its no coincidence that we have already lost to 2 of these 3 teams)?

Yes, we have seen a decade and a half of gradual decline at our club, but this has not entiely been self-inflicted. The new normal is an EPL where outside the nailed on top 3 everyone can take points of everyone else. Teams are well funded (TV money), the standard of coaching is generally excellent and the margins for error are tiny.

Was our terrible form in Autumn 2020 an aberration or something that we will see again? I don't know, but I have to say that the indications favour the former. Let's take things game by game and expect disappointing performances because that is where we are. Arteta or no.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter