User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Partey and the Midfield

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Partey and the Midfield

In recent weeks (before the Brighton game), we saw glimpses of how our team can put together some good performances (especially against the scum).

Much of this was down to our young players (ESR, Saka, Gabriel etc.).

What is still concerning me is how very ordinary our midfield is when the aforementioned players are not carrying Partey and Odegaard.

The question is, if Partey has still not improved and become the influntial midfielder that we expected at 28, is it time to cash in? In addition, I honestly believe that Odegaard was a bit of a panic buy and rarely shows he is the man for the job.

Brighton were carving through our midfield last Saturday with ease and in fairness, it was only our good defensive performance that we got a 0-0 draw.

Lokonga is only 21 and SHOULD improve. Thus far however, I am not impressed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Odegaard has good games and bad games, that's true

Partey is generally good IMO but his shooting is appalling and starting to get really annoying because every time he does it he's breaking up our own attacks - it was ridiculous in the Brighton game

Lokonga looks ok to me and tbh i do think it's too early to tell - they're not just young, but also haven't played together much

the reason Saka and ESR work better is they know each other from the Academy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Odegaard has good games and bad games, that's true

Partey is generally good IMO but his shooting is appalling and starting to get really annoying because every time he does it he's breaking up our own attacks - it was ridiculous in the Brighton game

Lokonga looks ok to me and tbh i do think it's too early to tell - they're not just young, but also haven't played together much

the reason Saka and ESR work better is they know each other from the Academy
    I believe that you have hit the nail on the head there, Mac.

"Partey is Generally good" "Lokonga looks ok".........

We have settled for this kind of player / performances over the last few years, you can include Pepe into that mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    I believe that you have hit the nail on the head there, Mac.

"Partey is Generally good" "Lokonga looks ok".........

We have settled for this kind of player / performances over the last few years, you can include Pepe into that mix.
    fair point, maybe I'm settling for mediocrity now...

Pepe's a good player who's never been given a proper exptended run in the team adn Arteta should use him more as a sub and also to reotate him with Saka - instead of running Saka into the ground like he is at the moment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    fair point, maybe I'm settling for mediocrity now...

Pepe's a good player who's never been given a proper exptended run in the team adn Arteta should use him more as a sub and also to reotate him with Saka - instead of running Saka into the ground like he is at the moment
    This. I am not saying that Pepe is worth his price tag but he is the best finisher we have (and I include Aubameyang in this), and his style of play introduces unpredictability in our build up. I know he can infuriate, but when he was playing regularly his tracking back had much improved, and he has always performed when given a run in the team. My concern is that Arteta's rigid style is excluding him, while leaving us vulnerable to the high press and making us too predictable. He should find a place for Pepe.

As for Partey and Odegard, I think its way to soon to pass judgment. Odergard sucked last weekend - but this was in a large part because our long balls were going over his head and picked up every time by the giants in Brighton's defence. He is a playmaker not an old fashioned centre forward. he is also young and will have off games. Partey wasn't great either and has never hit the heights that we had hoped...yet. I think however that its no coicidence that his best games have been with Xhaka alongside him, and he has not enjoyed any kind of settled MF partnership without Xhaka. ATM I think that the only legitimate criticism of Partey is that he is not changing games like Saturday's on his own - but it is very difficult when we are prevented from playing out from the back by the other team, and revert to long ball football that only contiunually concedes possession to them.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Partey has been a huge disappointment considering how happy we were when he signed. He just hasn’t managed to get going but granted injuries have played a huge part in that.

Hopefully he’s over all those troubles now and we see more of that dynamism that we’ve only really seen in cameos so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    In recent weeks (before the Brighton game), we saw glimpses of how our team can put together some good performances (especially against the scum).

Much of this was down to our young players (ESR, Saka, Gabriel etc.).

What is still concerning me is how very ordinary our midfield is when the aforementioned players are not carrying Partey and Odegaard.

The question is, if Partey has still not improved and become the influntial midfielder that we expected at 28, is it time to cash in? In addition, I honestly believe that Odegaard was a bit of a panic buy and rarely shows he is the man for the job.

Brighton were carving through our midfield last Saturday with ease and in fairness, it was only our good defensive performance that we got a 0-0 draw.

Lokonga is only 21 and SHOULD improve. Thus far however, I am not impressed
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Partey is pure shit though, isn't he? Anyone could see that when he made his debut. ESR is the opposite. It's easier than ever to spot a decent player, mainly because there are so few of them but also because the gap between rare competence and almost absolute incompetence has become a gulf. We have Saka and ESR, Auba if he can be bothered. These are players that could have played 20 years ago and not been laughed off the pitch. The rest of them? It's a joke. A very expensive piss take.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Partey is pure shit though, isn't he? Anyone could see that when he made his debut. ESR is the opposite. It's easier than ever to spot a decent player, mainly because there are so few of them but also because the gap between rare competence and almost absolute incompetence has become a gulf. We have Saka and ESR, Auba if he can be bothered. These are players that could have played 20 years ago and not been laughed off the pitch. The rest of them? It's a joke. A very expensive piss take.
    Rare I agree with you 100% but I do here.
    Partey is hopeless. I mean, not in a “how is he making it in the professional game?” way, but £45m? For that?! Wasn’t he touted as the new Vieira? He’s not fit to lace Vieira’s boots.
    There are some decent players around, you’ve mentioned a few, but 90% of them are very very ordinary. You’ve got very average players these days being sold for tens of millions and earning six figures a week. It’s mental.

Emperor’s New Clothes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add, I saw the highlights of the Leicester bs ManYoo game this morning.
    That Leicester goal where Maguire just stands there waiting for the ball to come to him while the Leicester player nips in and gets it which led directly to the goal.
    Maguire was what, £80m?! What a fraud.