User Tag List

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Clown World thread: for all the non-thread worthy bullshit going on in today's brave new world

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that pub, it’s about five minutes from where my mate lives. Never wanted to go there because it looked like a dive from the outside.

I knew about the Golliwogs about a year or so ago, because it was big local news at the time. My attitude is that why on earth would you stick those things on your bar shelf, but the police coming round to take them was overreach in a town beset with drug crime it creates the wrong impression about policing priorities

But…no sympathy for them going out of business, their suppliers were never going to touch them when this got to national level coverage, and whilst owning a Golliwog isn’t in of itself racist (though at the very least questionable to have it on display) the guys comments about lynching on facebooks and his wife’s comments which I came about via Google review about them having all kinds of “coloureds” as customers suggest they are a pair of morons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh they're definitely morons. And at some level I don't have much sympathy.
    But the "old man yells at cloud" part of me thinks this is all a bit of a silly overreaction.
    If they want to display golliwogs on the counter then is that inherently racist? I guess it's in the same ballpark as black face, so maybe.
    As you get older more things which just seemed normal when you were young are now wrong (and vice versa, apparently the gays are allowed to bum now).
    It's hard to keep track

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the question is, if a black family walked into that pub would they feel offended and/or not welcome? i suspect they well might so that's basically it right there, ok so all kinds of things 'cause offence' to different people and a lot of it's BS, but racial offence is pretty fundamental, gollywogs are part of a whole colonialist culture that encompassed discrimination and slavery

My family used to have a whole load of those gollywog musician figures you got with Robinson's marmalade - they're not at my house but if they were I wouldn't have them on display, as i have black friends and it might offend them, it's that simple

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Offence is, of course, subjective. You don't have a right to walk around not being offended. Some people it feels go out of their way to be offended. But I don't think people should go out of their way to be offensive either and if these are seen as a racist symbol of oppression then I guess by that metric it was pretty stupid thing to do.

Fiver says they voted for Brexit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gosh
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we are here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22216...enham-son/amp/

Everyone’s a rittle bit lacist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    the question is, if a black family walked into that pub would they feel offended and/or not welcome? i suspect they well might so that's basically it right there, ok so all kinds of things 'cause offence' to different people and a lot of it's BS, but racial offence is pretty fundamental, gollywogs are part of a whole colonialist culture that encompassed discrimination and slavery

My family used to have a whole load of those gollywog musician figures you got with Robinson's marmalade - they're not at my house but if they were I wouldn't have them on display, as i have black friends and it might offend them, it's that simple
    That and some of the Golliwogs were shown hanging by the neck

I don’t think the display should be illegal, simply because I don’t think anything that causes offence should be illegal. But I think for suppliers, customers etc to boycott the place is all pretty fair.

I do think you are essentially making black customers feel unwelcome, Golliwogs are racist they are pejorative caricatures. But if you want to put yourself out of business for being so stupid as to put them on display and let people know exactly what kind of people you are…then you should be free to do so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    While we are here

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/22216...enham-son/amp/

Everyone’s a rittle bit lacist
    See that’s just ridiculous

It’s hardly like old Claude calling him DVD (I had to have a mate explain to me what that was about)

But Martial arts originate from south east Asia and if the nasty little fucker does a karate chop on someone why would you avoid the comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Offence is, of course, subjective. You don't have a right to walk around not being offended. Some people it feels go out of their way to be offended. But I don't think people should go out of their way to be offensive either and if these are seen as a racist symbol of oppression then I guess by that metric it was pretty stupid thing to do.

Fiver says they voted for Brexit.

It’s Grays, you would be hard pressed to find anyone who didn’t vote for Brexit. Same all over Essex really. But then I tire of the shit talked about people who voted leave over the past six years from being racist to being thick…by smug, middle class cunts who are still crying into their croissants that the fantasy Britain they imagined encapsulated by Danny Boyle’s Olympic opening ceremony didn’t actually exist.
    I voted Remain out of a sense of economic conservatism, and I didn’t factor in the amount of people so pissed off with the status quo that offered a chance to stick one in the eye of the establishment they did so. And by establishment I mean cultural establishment that lecture and finger wags at people.
    It’s what caused that narcissist shaved troll doll Trump to get elected.

The hubris and tin earred smugness shown by these people is astounding, they’ve learned nothing