Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Transfer Non-Arrivals and Goodbyes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Yeah, I'm at a loss now.

I guess there's no great urgency to get a CM any more - I'd still like to bring another strong option in to give us a boost for the run-in, but we're already past the point where it would have been helpful to see us through our crisis period. I think the club would still like to bring a midfielder in, but by the same token there's no longer any pressure there to push them to take any deal they're not 100% happy with - wouldn't be surprised if this one comes to nothing now.

Striker is still critical, but I'm really struggling to come up with any names who are a) available now, and b) would have an immediate impact? A lot of the non-Vlahovic names we're being linked with are either summer moves, or don't look like they'd be much of a step-up from Laca and Eddie, or look like they could be potentially be something special... but in 6-12 months time.
    I think they might just look at the situation now and leave it till the summer and spend then. It's going to be another big summer in terms of spending IMO, 2 strikers and a midfielder. If two of those signings are starting quality players it will set us back a minimum 100mill, if not more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would take DCL if offered the chance. The money for any player now is going to be ridiculous so we will just have to bite the bullet if we want to give ourselves the best possible chance of staying competitive for the remainder of this season. He’s scored more goals than Lacazette in recent seasons and at 24 you’d think there’s more room from growth.

The squad is horribly thin and I guess it’s a case of whether we want to just let the season run it’s course and finish in no man’s land again and address the issues in the summer, or actually try to do something worthwhile right now for a change.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 26-01-2022 at 06:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he'd improve us but can't see much chance of Everton selling in January, even for silly money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t get me wrong, I’d take DCL in a cold minute right now! He’d walk into our starting XI. It’s just the fee being mentioned that’s making my eyes water. Like G23, it’s another one I can’t see happening until the summer, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Don’t get me wrong, I’d take DCL in a cold minute right now! He’d walk into our starting XI. It’s just the fee being mentioned that’s making my eyes water. Like G23, it’s another one I can’t see happening until the summer, though.
    We should pay what it takes, he's genuine class and i think would love playing with ppl like ESR, Odegaard, Saka etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    We should pay what it takes, he's genuine class and i think would love playing with ppl like ESR, Odegaard, Saka etc
    Forget those guys - what about Tierney!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I think they might just look at the situation now and leave it till the summer and spend then. It's going to be another big summer in terms of spending IMO, 2 strikers and a midfielder. If two of those signings are starting quality players it will set us back a minimum 100mill, if not more.
    Yeah, I really wouldn't be surprised if we left it until the summer now. I certainly don't think we're going to be pressured into signing someone for the sake of it, especially now we're out of both cups and have players returning from injury / suspension / AFCON. The time when signings would have helped has been and gone - damage already done - and we now have 7-14 day rest periods between all of our games between now and May. An extra option or two would still be welcome, but our thin squad can probably cope if they have to (esp. after a nice long break in Dubai to recharge).

I guess the unknown factor is what the club's target's were at the start of the year? If it was immediate top 4 then we might still make a final push for a signing or two, but if it was top 6 then we're probably on target.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Juve agree a deal for Vlahovic. 62m.

Us.
    Done and dusted in 48 hours, no less

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newcastle have agreed a £30m deal for Guimaraes too - just announced on sky sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aubameyang's Wang View Post
    Newcastle have agreed a £30m deal for Guimaraes too - just announced on sky sports
    And we all used to moan about Wenger and his false promises

"We are waiting for top, top, quality players in the waiting period"!