User Tag List

Page 9 of 98 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: summer '22 transfer craziness and stupidity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Arteta's desire to keep Eddie is crystal clear. This is another reason why tonight's game is so important - if we get CL football, then there is a big draw for him to stay. The real issue is whether he has already committed elsewhere...
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I think Arteta's desire to keep Eddie is crystal clear. This is another reason why tonight's game is so important - if we get CL football, then there is a big draw for him to stay. The real issue is whether he has already committed elsewhere...
    We've made two contract offers to him over the last 6-12 months and I'm assuming the latest is still on the table. I get why he's been reluctant to sign - he won't have wanted to commit to anything until he had some kind of proof of the manager's faith and trust in time - but the stupid thing is he's probably directly contributed to his own lack of game time precisely because he hasn't committed and signed the contract! No manager is going to give minutes to someone who he thinks is leaving unless has no other options.

Oh well - c'est la vie. Circumstances have since conspired to get him into the team anyway, so hopefully that will be enough to get everyone back round the table and talking again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Definitely keep Mo. He's one of those players, like Holding, who you can just chuck into a random game without any warning (and without him needing a 3 or 4 game run to find confidence and form first) and he'll do a solid, predictable job. You might not want to build your whole game around him for any kind of extended period, but when you just need someone to come on and shore things up or execute a very specific plan then he's fucking great!
    Yep agreed. I actually quite like Mo, we would be hard pushed to find a better 3rd/4th choice CM than him. If we do it will cost a fair bit. I hope he extends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSE Comedy Club View Post
    Eddie may not be considered a 'top striker' but our other 'top striker' couldn't score for toffee and has been dropped for the last 4 or 5 games.

Perception is not always reality.

I think Eddie has earnt his place in the starting 11 - albeit, alongside a better striker if we can get one
    Aye. I have actually really warmed to Eddie, he has his limitations, but we should def keep him for squad purposes, he can do a job and will only get better IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of links are starting to look fairly concrete now…

Marquinhos - 19yo Brazilian winger at São Paulo - 50m release clause, but we might be picking him up for 2.5m because of a balls up in his contract!

Aaron Hickey - 19yo, ambidextrous fullback at Bologna (surely lightning couldn’t strike twice in the same place) - their director has flown out here to thrash out a €25m deal. Allegedly.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Couple of links are starting to look fairly concrete now…

Marquinhos - 19yo Brazilian winger at São Paulo - 50m release clause, but we might be picking him up for 2.5m because of a balls up in his contract!

Aaron Hickey - 19yo, ambidextrous fullback at Bologna (surely lightning couldn’t strike twice in the same place) - their director has flown out here to thrash out a €25m deal. Allegedly.
    Young, Young - where is the quality experience??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, let's get Willian back

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Good idea, let's get Willian back
    I said QUALITY experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's coming, it's coming. This is just us getting a head start on adding a bit of depth before the season even ends. Quality, experienced players will all be waiting to see if we make the CL or not, and we'll probably be waiting to see if we make it too so we know which list we're shopping from (apparently they have 3 drawn up!).

Hickey looks a really smart buy - we already have the experienced options for his role/s in Tierney and Tomiyasu, but even so he's made 34 apps for Bologna this season so he's pretty much already at a starting level.

Marquinhos is just a straight up bit of opportunism - I don't even think he's in our plans! If he impresses over the summer then he goes into the squad for next season, otherwise he'll go out on loan to Europe and we'll sell him in a year or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)