User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction Arsenal 2-1 Wolves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eight points from that set of fixtures is doable. It should also be enough if we perform as we should against the rest.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's in our hands but I fear not getting a striker in January will bite us. I just don't think we score enough goals.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    We’re in a strong position but given that we have to play away to Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham, it’s all very much up in the air. Then United and Liverpool at home to cap it off too.

Huge games but that’s what you want, better than being mid table with fuck all to play for like we’ve had for 2 seasons.
    Yeah those games in one way or another worry me, we are going to need to take some points from some of them. The only one I am really confident about is the West Ham game, I think we are good enough to go there and win.

The others are all potential losses, even United at home....but on the other hand, the only game that I have written off as a guaranteed loss out of that set of fixtures is Liverpool at home, so it's not all doom and gloom!
    Last edited by selassie; 28-02-2022 at 09:17 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    We’re in a strong position but given that we have to play away to Chelsea, Spurs and West Ham, it’s all very much up in the air. Then United and Liverpool at home to cap it off too.

Huge games but that’s what you want, better than being mid table with fuck all to play for like we’ve had for 2 seasons.
    yeah like you say it's good to have something to be fighting for, though i'm not optimistic.

you have to factor in at least one Xhaka sending off per half-dozen games so that's one game scuppered, i don't think we'll get more than a draw at Shite Heart Lane but let's see

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    It's in our hands but I fear not getting a striker in January will bite us. I just don't think we score enough goals.
    This is my worry. Spurs have Son and Kane up front. We've got Laca and...that's about it really, and he's not all that. Others are chipping in with goals but we don't have anyone reliable. Spurs should walk it with that front line but they're being pretty Spursy. It's really hard to call.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s actually a minor miracle that we’re even in this position having only scored 38 goals. 1/4 of which came in 2 games at Christmas against Leeds and Norwich. It’s a testament to the strength of the defence but we will definitely need to score more to finish the job. The contribution of Laca will be key really, he’s going to start every game and if he doesn’t find his scoring boots we will most likely fall short. Just an extra 5-10 goals from him would make all the difference. It’s not a lot to ask for and hopefully that fluke the other day gets him going.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 28-02-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm feeling pretty relaxed about where we are right now, so I'm just going to enjoy the run in for once. Let's still give top 4 (or top 3!) a bloody good go - it's there for the taking right now so why not? - but I'm also looking at the average age of the team we've only just put together, and the fact that it's still an obviously incomplete side with at least two future starters (CF and a left-8) missing, and I'm thinking that we're very likely ahead of where anyone at the club had planned for us to be at this point. Again, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't push hard for a CL spot if it's all opening up for us earlier than expected - it just means that I don't think the club's current strategy is contingent on CL qualification being essential in yr1. It'll be far more of a disaster for united or spurs if they miss out than it will for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    This is my worry. Spurs have Son and Kane up front. We've got Laca and...that's about it really, and he's not all that. Others are chipping in with goals but we don't have anyone reliable. Spurs should walk it with that front line but they're being pretty Spursy. It's really hard to call.
    Yeah, I know what you mean - it feels like it's going to cost us a win at any moment. But then part of me also wonders whether we're maybe worrying more about this more than we need to at the moment? Yes, Lacazette misses a lot, and could / should / will be upgraded on in the summer... but for all of those misses the attack still somehow works, really, really well with him in there. Since we dropped Auba I think we're only third to Man City and Liverpool in terms of chances created, xG and goals scored, so something is going right. Our wide players are our strikers in this system: Saka, ESR and Martinelli, and If Pepe has found his second-half-of-the-season form again then you can add him to that group too. Ødegaard was also scoring semi-frequently before Christmas and should be well capable of chipping in with some goals - I'd even chuck Gabriel in there as a reliable threat from set-pieces. That's 6 credible goal threats without even needing to look at the two nominal CFs. If Laca and Nketiah can contribute anything at all then you could almost say it's a bonus.

Also, let's not forget that the aim is to score more than we concede, and our defence is looking a lot more solid than any of our direct rivals' right now.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 28-02-2022 at 03:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    yeah like you say it's good to have something to be fighting for, though i'm not optimistic.

you have to factor in at least one Xhaka sending off per half-dozen games so that's one game scuppered, i don't think we'll get more than a draw at Shite Heart Lane but let's see
    A draw at the Spuds is a good result in the grand scheme of things. Basically not losing to any of the Spuds, West Ham & Man United will be good results if we put the games we should be putting away to bed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    On the plus side we do create a lot of chances, sure we don't score that much but that is mainly down to poor finishing which can definitely be improved upon. It's definitely a worry of mine and is probably our biggest issue in the team now....but outside of the games against the traditional top 4 and maybe Spuds, I think this team will score goals against the teams we have left to face.

Spuds are a big threat for 4th place, as are United....but United are kind of running out of games now and have a brutal schedule the next month or so.
    Last edited by selassie; 28-02-2022 at 04:08 PM.