User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Match Reaction Arsenal 2-1 Wolves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Also, let's not forget that the aim is to score more than we concede, and our defence is looking a lot more solid than any of our direct rivals' right now.
    Aye, this is a good point. It's the most solid we've been at the back for years. The Wolves goal was a rare aberration but overall we don't chuck them in like that anywhere near as often as we used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I know what you mean - it feels like it's going to cost us a win at any moment. But then part of me also wonders whether we're maybe worrying more about this more than we need to at the moment? Yes, Lacazette misses a lot, and could / should / will be upgraded on in the summer... but for all of those misses the attack still somehow works, really, really well with him in there. Since we dropped Auba I think we're only third to Man City and Liverpool in terms of chances created, xG and goals scored, so something is going right. Our wide players are our strikers in this system: Saka, ESR and Martinelli, and If Pepe has found his second-half-of-the-season form again then you can add him to that group too. Ødegaard was also scoring semi-frequently before Christmas and should be well capable of chipping in with some goals - I'd even chuck Gabriel in there as a reliable threat from set-pieces. That's 6 credible goal threats without even needing to look at the two nominal CFs. If Laca and Nketiah can contribute anything at all then you could almost say it's a bonus.

Also, let's not forget that the aim is to score more than we concede, and our defence is looking a lot more solid than any of our direct rivals' right now.

Was going to make exactly the same point - we lament that we only have Lacazette, but our Xg per game is up above 2 which is healthy, and we are creating an insane amount of shots per game too. Laca's stats in the Wolves game were very good. He is making this system work, and I think we need to trust the system. Auba didn't fit the system and its all to easy for the pundits to forget this when writing us off for lack of a 'top' striker.

...also whisper it quietly, but Nketiah was instrumental to both goals the other night.

As for the reference at the beginning to 'pubbing' this result...IMO it was one of the most comprehensive 2/1's you will ever see. Early mistakes aside we dominated a good team.

I don't want to spoil my enjoyment of how our team is progressing by looking at what might/might not happen to get 4th place...but if we set aside the 1st 3 games of the season and cup results in January this is looking like proper progress, both in terms of the football; the togetherness and mentality of the team and the connection with the fans. It does feel like something is building here, whether we get Europa or CL football next season.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post

Was going to make exactly the same point - we lament that we only have Lacazette, but our Xg per game is up above 2 which is healthy, and we are creating an insane amount of shots per game too. Laca's stats in the Wolves game were very good. He is making this system work, and I think we need to trust the system. Auba didn't fit the system and its all to easy for the pundits to forget this when writing us off for lack of a 'top' striker.

...also whisper it quietly, but Nketiah was instrumental to both goals the other night.

As for the reference at the beginning to 'pubbing' this result...IMO it was one of the most comprehensive 2/1's you will ever see. Early mistakes aside we dominated a good team.

I don't want to spoil my enjoyment of how our team is progressing by looking at what might/might not happen to get 4th place...but if we set aside the 1st 3 games of the season and cup results in January this is looking like proper progress, both in terms of the football; the togetherness and mentality of the team and the connection with the fans. It does feel like something is building here, whether we get Europa or CL football next season.
    The way I see it we've (reportedly) just halved our wage bill and our squad is now built around committed, hungry 20-24 year olds who are performing well - we're in a good place, and we have time on our side. There's pressure on us, but it's all healthy pressure that we're willingly taking on ourselves because we want to achieve something - it's not the constant, gnawing stress and anxiety of impending disaster if we don't hit certain targets. It's not the worry of our best players and manager walking out if we don't make it, or a tear-down of the squad and years in the wilderness. I don't know where we'll end up in the end, but for once everything feels fairly comfortable - even the worst-case outcome I see for us at this point would probably keep us on track.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I see it we've (reportedly) just halved our wage bill and our squad is now built around committed, hungry 20-24 year olds who are performing well - we're in a good place, and we have time on our side. There's pressure on us, but it's all healthy pressure that we're willingly taking on ourselves because we want to achieve something - it's not the constant, gnawing stress and anxiety of impending disaster if we don't hit certain targets. It's not the worry of our best players and manager walking out if we don't make it, or a tear-down of the squad and years in the wilderness. I don't know where we'll end up in the end, but for once everything feels fairly comfortable - even the worst-case outcome I see for us at this point would probably keep us on track.
    Indeed. There are always issues - and as I said on another thread one of the problems of building a team around a model of attracting the best young players (rather than trying to compete financially for the best players full stop - is that bigger or more successful clubs will covet what we have placed in the shop window, and - with the assistance of a press always looking for the next story - there will be pressure on our best players to leave. The only way to counter this is progression, but I think this is unmistakable now and I feel reasonably secure as a fan that a Europa League finish this season will not derail us or our best players. Where I think we will have done well is appointing a young manager who seems finally to have found his feet; is right for where the club is ATM and can grow with the club. I am certain that most Spurs, or even United fans would prefer to be where we are right now than where they are, and it's been a long time since this has been the case.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter