User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match reaction v Watford away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem for us will be squad depth. We’re only an injury or two away from trouble.

Case in point is our unsettled fullbacks. The continuing changes theres have led to goals conceded, case in point their first the other day.

We know cedric isn’t top top top quality, but KT isn’t 100% at the moment.
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post
    Problem for us will be squad depth. We’re only an injury or two away from trouble.

Case in point is our unsettled fullbacks. The continuing changes theres have led to goals conceded, case in point their first the other day.

We know cedric isn’t top top top quality, but KT isn’t 100% at the moment.
    True, although we talk about this like it’s some looming disaster that we’re yet to face, when we’ve actually been relying on our depth at RB for a couple of months now, and KT arguably hasn’t been at 100% all season. And do you know what? It hasn’t been that bad. There’s been a noticeable dip in quality and solidity in those areas, but we’ve also just chained together 4 straight wins and are taking big chunks out of our rivals whenever they stumble - it’s not always perfect, but we’re getting it done (and doing it with a bit of style).

Sure, we can keep piling on ‘what ifs’ until we break - what if Cedric also gets injured? What if we lose KT or Gabriel or White? What if we lose Partey? But that’s just life for most clubs - unless you can afford two £50m players for every position then that breaking point will never be too far away. Spurs, Wolves and West Ham will all be in much the same boat. Man U might have some depth, but they’re a total basket case who’s players don’t care and aren’t that good. As with the goal-scoring “issue”, this might not be as big a problem as we’re fearing.

Having said all of that, Tomiyasu’s return can’t come soon enough for me! Cedric hasn’t actually been that bad, tbf, but Tomi just balances the team beautifully, freeing up the LB and giving our CBS less to worry about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look and we are 14 points better off than we were at this stage last year. Top 4 or no, that's a pretty encouraging improvement so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Straight fight between us and the Spuds.
    They have the easiest run in. Going to be difficult IMHO.
    Yeah I am thinking the same, as inconsistent as they are I have a feeling they are going to go on a bit of a run now. We have points on the board and games in hand but we should treat our current situation as no room for error. I don't want to have to be going to Chelsea or even Shite Hart Lane knowing we have to win to finish 4th.

The next couple of months are going to be stressful but I would rather we are in this position than scrapping it down in 8th with the likes of Wolves and Southampton!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    NLD's gonna be crucial.

And the home team usually wins those.

Even though we are more likely to lose than win I am a lot more confident this season going into the NLD away than I have ever been. What I won't be confident with is having to go there and beat them in a straight shoot out for 4th place, I am hoping by then we will be in a very strong position where a loss or a draw won't be too damaging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Just had a look and we are 14 points better off than we were at this stage last year. Top 4 or no, that's a pretty encouraging improvement so far.
    Aye, we have massively improved this season. We have developed a style now too and are quite pleasing on the eye to watch. I think we are 2 or 3 players away from genuinely being a very good team.

However I will add that if we manage to blow 4th and the Spuds clinch it, even though Arteta has done well this season there will be no coming back for him from this.
    Last edited by selassie; 08-03-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    I will add that if we manage to blow 4th and the Spuds clinch it, even though Arteta has done well this season there will be no coming back for him from this.
    That would be harsh IMO. The metric is whether we're heading in the right direction. If we agree we are - whether we finish 4th or not - then he surely deserves more time to continue that progress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be harsh IMO. The metric is whether we're heading in the right direction. If we agree we are - whether we finish 4th or not - then he surely deserves more time to continue that progress.
    I kind of agree, he is doing a good job and progress is being made but I don't think a majority of our fanbase will see it that way if we blow up and finish behind them given we have a bit of a points cushion and games in hand.

I certainly didn't expect us to be in this position so I am pleased with the progress and I am pleased with Arteta implementing a style of play. We are not soft touches anymore either, the improvements are clear to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve not been much of an Arteta fan but there has been progress this season and I feel comfortable with the direction we’re heading in. We’ve got a young, hungry squad with players who want to play and have everything to prove. Beats having deadwood who’ve used Arsenal as a final big contract before retirement.

Playing behind closed doors probably kept Arteta in a job because there’s no doubt it was terrible at times and if there was a crowd they would have put a lot of pressure on the club.

As for this season, top 6 was the target so to be in with a shout of 4th is testament to the progress made.

Our games in hand on United are Liverpool H, Spurs A and Chelsea A.
    The Liverpool match is also the game in hand on Spurs.

We will probably need to get results in all those games to finish 4th. So while the table makes for encouraging reading, don’t let it fool you into thinking it’s ours to lose yet. There are some huge games coming up and we’ve been falling short in a lot of those under Arteta, so let’s see how it goes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of agree Letters, but not getting fourth has so many implications.

It could mean the difference of a much bigger transfer kitty.
    Saka has stated that he wants CL football.
    It will attract better players to the club.

It could actually be make or break whether we like it or not

It is the sign of the times unfortunately.