User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same old V Liverpool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same old V Liverpool

Predictable result. No goals. Spuds gain on us.

Shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool are a quality side with strength in depth. We played well first half but once they scored we struggled to create much. It's not all bad, actually think we have played the hardest remaining fixture and still sit in 4th with 4th place in our hands. Definitely would have taken this at start of season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liverpool are a far superior team. Disappointing again to not really look like getting a result but how we react at Villa will be more telling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might not feel like it, but we are gradually improving in these games. The panicky, PTSD moments are gone and we no longer go from 1 to 5 down in the blink of an eye. We matched them for about 40 minutes at anfield earlier in the season - yesterday we lasted about 60 minutes before we cracked (and even then we still had a couple of decent chances). It’s gradual, but it’s going the right way.

The fact is they’re just a better, more rounded side than us right now. They already have the exact players they want in every position whereas our best XI is still short a striker and a left 6-8. They have strength in depth where our squad is thin - losing someone like Tomiyasu hurts us, whereas they can casually bring Jota on for Firminio, Diaz on for Salah, etc, and have more options from the bench. They have an average of 3-4 years more experience than us per player.

(Plus it feels like there’s a ‘bogey team’ element at play here - I don’t know whether it’s a fundamental mismatch in styles that disadvantages us, or a just psychological / belief thing that we need to get over, but it always feels like we’re battling an extra… ‘something’ against liverpool?)

We’ll get there, but don’t forget we’re not even 1 year into this rebuild yet - we’ll need at least another couple of good windows and 2-3 years more experience before we’re at their level.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 17-03-2022 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the plus side, the reaction from the fans in the stadium was incredible again - keep that going and it’ll be when, not if we start challenging.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Liverpool are a far superior team. Disappointing again to not really look like getting a result but how we react at Villa will be more telling.

It may not be pretty after 2.5 days recovery and trying to bounce back from a defeat, but if we can find a way to take 3 points in a crunch game at Villa then you have to say this team has grown.

We’re clearly still some way off the top two, but I really don’t feel we’re far off Chelsea’s level already? City are better and more consistent than us against all opponents and across a long season and 4 competitions, but I now fancy us to at least give them a game in our head-to-heads - our style just seems to match theirs up pretty well.

Liverpool is still the yardstick for us - an adhoc spot-test that we take twice a year to measure progress and get an idea of what we still need to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    This.

They are a few levels above us and it showed in the second half last night. It's frustrating that we can't seem to get anything out of the games against the likes of them and City but we are improving.

Big game up at Villa on Saturday, the pressure is on us now to put to bed these kind of games if we want to finish 4th, it won't be easy either.
    Last edited by selassie; 17-03-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    It might not feel like it, but we are gradually improving in these games. The panicky, PTSD moments are gone and we no longer go from 1 to 5 down in the blink of an eye. We matched them for about 40 minutes at anfield earlier in the season - yesterday we lasted about 60 minutes before we cracked (and even then we still had a couple of decent chances). It’s gradual, but it’s going the right way.

The fact is they’re just a better, more rounded side than us right now. They already have the exact players they want in every position whereas our best XI is still short a striker and a left 6-8. They have strength in depth where our squad is thin - losing someone like Tomiyasu hurts us, whereas they can casually bring Jota on for Firminio, Diaz on for Salah, etc, and have more options from the bench. They have an average of 3-4 years more experience than us per player.

(Plus it feels like there’s a ‘bogey team’ element at play here - I don’t know whether it’s a fundamental mismatch in styles that disadvantages us, or a just psychological / belief thing that we need to get over, but it always feels like we’re battling an extra… ‘something’ against liverpool?)

We’ll get there, but don’t forget we’re not even 1 year into this rebuild yet - we’ll need at least another couple of good windows and 2-3 years more experience before we’re at their level.
    That is a really good analysis.

The part relating to how we react to losing a goal and the impact of that in big games is telling.

We no longer have a glass jaw. Now we need someone in the lineup that can be relied upon to deliver a killer punch when needed.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're still clearly a cut above us right now, but the gulf is no longer monstrous - this game was very much won and lost in the margins and quality in key moments. There were a couple of promising moves that just broke down at the last moment yesterday because there wasn't a good option on for the final pass, and we had a couple of great chances that we just couldn't put away because the players they fell to haven't developed that composure and killer instinct that comes with experience yet.

That can change quickly though - just look at the difference in Smith Rowe's output from last year to this year. At some point, these players will have their 'Ah ha!' moment, where they'll do something different in front of goal that suddenly makes it all make sense. Get a striker in who can do everything Lacazette does and also keep up with play and we'll give them a serious fright next year.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post

Who died and made you Letters? This is the sort of level headed post I'd have made back in the day.
    I'm actually annoyed and disappointed about last night. I agree with everything you've said but I've been worn down by years of performances and results like this where we basically play well but get beaten anyway. But yeah, Liverpool are a level or two above us - above pretty much everyone really. Sure they'll have off days but in big games like this you can be pretty sure they'll do the job like we used to back in the day. I do believe we are heading in the right direction but the Villa game is key now. We could afford to lose last night but we don't have much room for error now. All the contenders for top 4 will drop points but we have to get going again at the weekend. If we do then I'll start to believe we have a very good chance of top 4. If we mess that one up then I fear another collapse.