User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Match Reaction v Villa (away).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
    I think Odegaard is the perfect manifestation of this. He can play like Ozil or Fabregas when we're attacking. But he can also do the pressing and defending to a really high level, like Bernardo or De Bruyne. It took him a while to gain the consistency, but just like Arteta's methods as a whole, it's now all coming together.

As you say, there's no room for one-dimensional players at top teams anymore. Our recent signings all prove this too. Both full-backs are two-footed and can play on the left or right or even centre-back in the case of Tomiyasu. White can play across the back line and in midfield. Sambi and Odegaard are comfortable deeper or higher up the pitch. And summed up by the Ramsdale upgrade, they're all excellent technically and progressive passers.

It feels like the early Wenger years where the profile of the player and how he could be moulded into the team was more important than just signing names (see Manchester United).
    Yeah, you have Ødegaard who can play as a 10 or an 8 in a midfield 3 (and maybe even as one half of a double-pivot, with a bit of work)… Saka can play as a winger / wide forward, an 8 in a 3 or a fullback… Smith Rowe can play as a winger / wide forward, an 8 in a 3 or a 9 (apparently)… Martinelli can play as a winger / wide forward or a 9… Xhaka is currently playing as a left-8, but he could also drop into a double-pivot… Tomi and KT can both play as fullbacks, 3rd CBs and tuck into midfield (KT can also play as a wingback and Tomi can play as CB in a 2)… White can play CB, RB or drive into midfield… even Ramsdale does his bit as a sweeper-keeper when needed.

You graft all of that onto two or three fixed players down the spine - Gabriel, Partey and Lacazette (and I expect the ST role will become more of a dual-role next season) - and it becomes remarkably fluid. There’s a tremendous amount of tactical and structural flex there without needing to make a single change.
    Last edited by I am invisible; 20-03-2022 at 03:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Yeah, you have Ødegaard who can play as a 10 or an 8 in a midfield 3 (and maybe even as one half of a double-pivot, with a bit of work)… Saka can play as a winger / wide forward, an 8 in a 3 or a fullback… Smith Rowe can play as a winger / wide forward, an 8 in a 3 or a 9 (apparently)… Martinelli can play as a winger / wide forward or a 9… Xhaka is currently playing as a left-8, but he could also drop into a double-pivot… Tomi and KT can both play as fullbacks, 3rd CBs and tuck into midfield (KT can also play as a wingback and Tomi can play as CB in a 2)… White can play CB, RB or drive into midfield… even Ramsdale does his bit as a sweeper-keeper when needed.

You graft all of that onto two or three fixed players down the spine - Gabriel, Partey and Lacazette (and I expect the ST role will become more of a dual-role next season) - and it becomes remarkably fluid. There’s a tremendous amount of tactical and structural flex there without needing to make a single change.
    Arteta rebuilding us as a Man City "lite"

To be fair the way we have been passing the ball about recently is not that far from them, honestly the quality of our football has really gone up a few levels the past few months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dazthegooner View Post
    A good result but again it show's that we need a striker badly could be the difference in the end.
    That could be difference of getting top four.

It is a three horse race now the Spuds beat West Ham today. Hate to say it, they have hit form and will not drop many points.
    The NLD is going to be massive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting a bit sick of this “over celebration” stick salty losers want to beat us with.

We haven’t qualified for the CL in 5 years and the club has been a mess for a lot of that time too. Most of our squad are young and have never played in the competition before either. What’s the problem if every win that edges them closer is evoking some emotion?

I’d get it if we were seasoned winners who’ve fallen on hard times but come on. Ashley Young and Agbonlahor can get fucked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah and they've both got girls names so ner

And also Gerrard has told Saka he need to toughen up he really is a C**T
    Last edited by dazthegooner; 21-03-2022 at 07:31 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Getting a bit sick of this “over celebration” stick salty losers want to beat us with.

We haven’t qualified for the CL in 5 years and the club has been a mess for a lot of that time too. Most of our squad are young and have never played in the competition before either. What’s the problem if every win that edges them closer is evoking some emotion?

I’d get it if we were seasoned winners who’ve fallen on hard times but come on. Ashley Young and Agbonlahor can get fucked.

It's just the sign of a young side and manager enjoying themselves and gaining more self-belief with each game, I love to see the spirit, if it was Moan U everyone would be saying how great it was...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See the Spuds won again yesterday, I think they will be are closest rival for 4th place, at the moment its looking like a case of going there and making we sure we don't lose. Need to take care of the other games too...from our remaining games, the difficult ones that stick out to me are obviously Chelsea away, United home, West Ham away, Palace away and Newcastle away is a potential banana skin too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    See the Spuds won again yesterday, I think they will be are closest rival for 4th place, at the moment its looking like a case of going there and making we sure we don't lose. Need to take care of the other games too...from our remaining games, the difficult ones that stick out to me are obviously Chelsea away, United home, West Ham away, Palace away and Newcastle away is a potential banana skin too.
    This.

Being the world's biggest pessimist, I am surprised that we are the bookie's favourite to get fourth with the games we have remaining. Not only that, the scum are on a roll and have the easier fixtures.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    Not only that, the scum are on a roll.
    Yeah, they've won *checks notes* 2 in a row.
    They do have the easier fixtures, and they've got home advantage in the NLD. But they're still Spurs.
    Honestly, I can't call it right now but I do think it's between us and them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It will be that 3 day period when we face Chelsea and United that could settle it. However the NLD hasn’t even been scheduled yet, so there’s a lot of football to be played.

Growing in confidence with each game but there is a cup final feel about every game now. Let’s just get past Palace, Brighton and Southampton and see where we’re at before the death run. It’s difficult to have faith in us winning the big games so we really need to take 9 points from the next set of fixtures after the break.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 21-03-2022 at 04:05 PM.