Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Match reaction v Leeds home

Good result. Well done Eddie.
    Why do we have to make it difficult for ourselves and make it bloody stressful.
    Can't see us getting anything against Spurs but it will still be in our own hands thereafter.
    Can we get fourth? Hmmm... Hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive win but frustrating as well. Easy to see why we still have many doubters because we always make it seem more perilous than it should be!

Hopefully we play for the win on Thursday, can’t go into it thinking a point will be enough. Spurs will be going for the kill because they have to, hopefully we can counter attack effectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Massive win but frustrating as well. Easy to see why we still have many doubters because we always make it seem more perilous than it should be!

Hopefully we play for the win on Thursday, can’t go into it thinking a point will be enough. Spurs will be going for the kill because they have to, hopefully we can counter attack effectively.
    That's right, although obvs a draw would be good, we can't play for one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nervy result hopefully saving ourselves for Thursday and if we go to the Spuds looking for a draw we will lose so we will have to go for the win but with caution as they are good on the counter attack.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad we got the 3 points but fuck me, what the hell happened after 30 mins???

We made that tough on ourselves.

We still lack a killer instinct when it is necessary, which is disappointing. Same old attacking issues for the second half too.

Oh yeh, and remember the days when we could counter attack.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSE Comedy Club View Post
    Glad we got the 3 points but fuck me, what the hell happened after 30 mins???

We made that tough on ourselves.

We still lack a killer instinct when it is necessary, which is disappointing. Same old attacking issues for the second half too.

Oh yeh, and remember the days when we could counter attack.....
    For me, yesterday's match was a classic example of what happens when a team loses focus on the job in hand and starts thinking of the bigger picture. If we as fans are stressed out by being so close to securing top 4, then there will inevitably be an element of this amonghst our young players also. It was too easy for us in the first half. 2 goals up and Leeds a man down and looking like a shambles, with no attacking threat whatsoever...our players 'knew' that this match was done. How many times have we seen in these circumsntances a team lose that fraction of a percent that at this level makes all the difference? How many times have we seen a team regain focus and purpose having lost a player? In the second half, Leeds had absolutely nothing to lose and played with the freedom that that brings. Their goal stemmed from perhaps the lack of focus and organisation that can happen when a team has had nothing to do defensively and played the whole game in the oppositions half. After that it was impossible for the players not to play with the dread that a single mistake could cost us a CL place and it looked like it.

I suppose that the difference on Thursday will be that Spurs will be in the same boat, and it will come down to who handles the pressure best. I hope that we change our game plan to try to be the counter attacking side rather than playing to Spurs' strengths, remembering that they have to win while technically we don't. We are a young team and I am nervous about how well we will cope but Arteta has to go for control rather than chaos.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Agree with most of that, but I do think we need to box clever with Spurs. Going gung ho or trying to control the game high up the pitch will completely play into Conte's hands. Liverpool decided to play their normal game and got stung. If Spurs' defence can soak up the best attack in the league and hit them on the counter they can frustrate us - particularly with our jittery defence. We need to contain Kane and Son first and foremost, and see if we can nick one. A draw would ultimately be fine and leave us only having to win one of our remaining 2 games to take the title whatever they do.
    Well we have a couple of advantages: we know exactly how Conte will play - he never plays any other way; and he can’t afford to sit back and wait for us to make the first move - we can.

That’s if he even cares, and isn’t too busy planning his move to Paris…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched the second half casually, between chatter. Didn't see any football taking place. Not sure what they were all doing out there. Going through the motions for their unwarranted fees, I suppose.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Niall_Quinn View Post
    Watched the second half casually, between chatter. Didn't see any football taking place. Not sure what they were all doing out there. Going through the motions for their unwarranted fees, I suppose.
    Thing is though that this view - while it might have applied to our team 18 months ago - doesn't apply now. Call the second half on Sunday a bit of complacency; call it nerves, or trying to conserve energy for Thursday, but what our current crop of players cannot be accused of is going through the motions for the club - something exemplified by the committment of the likes of Nketiah; Holding and Elneny who have stepped up big time having been bench warmers for most of the season, or Xhaka - dropped as captain, written off by the fans yet showing huge character to fight for the cause. Arteta has managed to turn things around at Arsenal in that respect, which is why we are where we are now.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Thing is though that this view - while it might have applied to our team 18 months ago - doesn't apply now. Call the second half on Sunday a bit of complacency; call it nerves, or trying to conserve energy for Thursday, but what our current crop of players cannot be accused of is going through the motions for the club - something exemplified by the committment of the likes of Nketiah; Holding and Elneny who have stepped up big time having been bench warmers for most of the season, or Xhaka - dropped as captain, written off by the fans yet showing huge character to fight for the cause. Arteta has managed to turn things around at Arsenal in that respect, which is why we are where we are now.
    Then I guess if they were actually applying themselves, they must just be shit footballers? Basically that half of football was unwatchable for anyone who is aware of what football used to be like. But, if you are saying the clubs has gone from worse to bad then I suppose you are right. Do you remember watching Anelka? Eddie is no Anelka. Good luck to the lad for banging a few goals in, but we're not watching Wrighty or Henry or even Smudger here. The standard is LOW. Very, very low.
    Für eure Sicherheit