Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Match reaction v Leeds home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Match reaction v Leeds home

Good result. Well done Eddie.
    Why do we have to make it difficult for ourselves and make it bloody stressful.
    Can't see us getting anything against Spurs but it will still be in our own hands thereafter.
    Can we get fourth? Hmmm... Hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Massive win but frustrating as well. Easy to see why we still have many doubters because we always make it seem more perilous than it should be!

Hopefully we play for the win on Thursday, can’t go into it thinking a point will be enough. Spurs will be going for the kill because they have to, hopefully we can counter attack effectively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Massive win but frustrating as well. Easy to see why we still have many doubters because we always make it seem more perilous than it should be!

Hopefully we play for the win on Thursday, can’t go into it thinking a point will be enough. Spurs will be going for the kill because they have to, hopefully we can counter attack effectively.
    That's right, although obvs a draw would be good, we can't play for one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nervy result hopefully saving ourselves for Thursday and if we go to the Spuds looking for a draw we will lose so we will have to go for the win but with caution as they are good on the counter attack.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad we got the 3 points but fuck me, what the hell happened after 30 mins???

We made that tough on ourselves.

We still lack a killer instinct when it is necessary, which is disappointing. Same old attacking issues for the second half too.

Oh yeh, and remember the days when we could counter attack.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSE Comedy Club View Post
    Glad we got the 3 points but fuck me, what the hell happened after 30 mins???

We made that tough on ourselves.

We still lack a killer instinct when it is necessary, which is disappointing. Same old attacking issues for the second half too.

Oh yeh, and remember the days when we could counter attack.....
    For me, yesterday's match was a classic example of what happens when a team loses focus on the job in hand and starts thinking of the bigger picture. If we as fans are stressed out by being so close to securing top 4, then there will inevitably be an element of this amonghst our young players also. It was too easy for us in the first half. 2 goals up and Leeds a man down and looking like a shambles, with no attacking threat whatsoever...our players 'knew' that this match was done. How many times have we seen in these circumsntances a team lose that fraction of a percent that at this level makes all the difference? How many times have we seen a team regain focus and purpose having lost a player? In the second half, Leeds had absolutely nothing to lose and played with the freedom that that brings. Their goal stemmed from perhaps the lack of focus and organisation that can happen when a team has had nothing to do defensively and played the whole game in the oppositions half. After that it was impossible for the players not to play with the dread that a single mistake could cost us a CL place and it looked like it.

I suppose that the difference on Thursday will be that Spurs will be in the same boat, and it will come down to who handles the pressure best. I hope that we change our game plan to try to be the counter attacking side rather than playing to Spurs' strengths, remembering that they have to win while technically we don't. We are a young team and I am nervous about how well we will cope but Arteta has to go for control rather than chaos.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    For me, yesterday's match was a classic example of what happens when a team loses focus on the job in hand and starts thinking of the bigger picture. If we as fans are stressed out by being so close to securing top 4, then there will inevitably be an element of this amonghst our young players also. It was too easy for us in the first half. 2 goals up and Leeds a man down and looking like a shambles, with no attacking threat whatsoever...our players 'knew' that this match was done. How many times have we seen in these circumsntances a team lose that fraction of a percent that at this level makes all the difference? How many times have we seen a team regain focus and purpose having lost a player? In the second half, Leeds had absolutely nothing to lose and played with the freedom that that brings. Their goal stemmed from perhaps the lack of focus and organisation that can happen when a team has had nothing to do defensively and played the whole game in the oppositions half. After that it was impossible for the players not to play with the dread that a single mistake could cost us a CL place and it looked like it.

I suppose that the difference on Thursday will be that Spurs will be in the same boat, and it will come down to who handles the pressure best. I hope that we change our game plan to try to be the counter attacking side rather than playing to Spurs' strengths, remembering that they have to win while technically we don't. We are a young team and I am nervous about how well we will cope but Arteta has to go for control rather than chaos.
    Absolutely agree with this

For me though, this is a key area that we need to improve on. The last few seasons have been the same in some games, we score a couple of goals searly on and the team seem to think 'job done' - which can often be disastrous.

I really hope Arteta can coach that out of them and teach them to keep the pressure on - if it is easy to score two goals, then score two more. Maybe then you can ease up a little, but a game is still 90 mins regardless if you score in the first two mins or the last two.

Not sure what to expect from the Spuds game tbh. It'll be a real nail biter to some extent - a massive result if we win, and I don't know if the team can handle it just yet.
    Counter attacking is a weak area for us also, so I am not expecting to see much in the way of it. For some reason we always seem to get to the final third and stop running, then look to pass the ball off across the midfield again.

So frustrating to watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good posts above, agree with all that

i'm just so glad that the Spuds game can e lost and we can still finish top 4 - though am a bit worried about Newcastle away, given their home form and that's why i'd love us to get a point on Thursday

what Arteta really needs to do is tell Xhaka to take Son out for the rest of the season and then it's job done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone's feeling it right now, not just us - Chelsea are wobbling, United have completely gone to shit, spurs are up one week, down the next... even Liverpool had a wobble on Saturday! This is just how it goes at this stage of the season - there's no time left for clever plans and no time to recover from defeats. Teams that should be a pushover are now just swinging wildly, scrapping for every point, and no one is doing what you expect them to. Our relative inexperience shows at time, but all in all we're probably handling the pressure as well as anyone at the moment, and better than most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSE Comedy Club View Post
    Absolutely agree with this

For me though, this is a key area that we need to improve on. The last few seasons have been the same in some games, we score a couple of goals searly on and the team seem to think 'job done' - which can often be disastrous.

I really hope Arteta can coach that out of them and teach them to keep the pressure on - if it is easy to score two goals, then score two more. Maybe then you can ease up a little, but a game is still 90 mins regardless if you score in the first two mins or the last two.

Not sure what to expect from the Spuds game tbh. It'll be a real nail biter to some extent - a massive result if we win, and I don't know if the team can handle it just yet.
    Counter attacking is a weak area for us also, so I am not expecting to see much in the way of it. For some reason we always seem to get to the final third and stop running, then look to pass the ball off across the midfield again.

So frustrating to watch
    I think the improvement will come organically to this team. We have to remember that we are the youngest team, with the youngest manager in the EPL. Our players have never been in this situation before, and do not have the maturity and experience to manage game states when the pressure is on. As IAI says - everyone's feeling the pressure now, and for a shocking example of how a team full of experienced and proven winners can 'do an Arsenal' we only need to look at Citeh last week against RM

This is why getting 4th and surviving this squeaky bum time pressure would be so good for us...the confidence and composure that this will generate is not to be under estimated!
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter