User Tag List

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Spurs vs The Arsenal. 12/05/22. 19:45. 4th Place Cup Final.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    All that kicking had to catch up with Saka some time

Not good timing though
    Let's wait and see - might be legit, but it also wouldn't be the first time a manager has tried to confuse a rival's planning before a big game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spuds will probably dominate proceedings tbh as they need the win more than we do, but I’d say we also need to play like we can’t afford to lose, that’s when we tend to be at our best. I just hope we go for it like we did against Chelsea and United, if we opt for some kind of containment job like Arteta has tried in big games before, I can’t see it ending well.

Main thing though is to not give them any respect, they’re not worthy of it. It’s one thing being a bit sheepish against City and Liverpool but this is definitely a game where we shouldn’t be afraid to have a go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Let's wait and see - might be legit, but it also wouldn't be the first time a manager has tried to confuse a rival's planning before a big game.
    That's what I thought/hoped.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Spuds will probably dominate proceedings tbh as they need the win more than we do, but I’d say we also need to play like we can’t afford to lose, that’s when we tend to be at our best. I just hope we go for it like we did against Chelsea and United, if we opt for some kind of containment job like Arteta has tried in big games before, I can’t see it ending well.

Main thing though is to not give them any respect, they’re not worthy of it. It’s one thing being a bit sheepish against City and Liverpool but this is definitely a game where we shouldn’t be afraid to have a go.
    Yeah I don't want to see just containment - I want to see control. We go for the win, but we do it by being smart and having a plan. City and Liverpool both utterly dominated their games against spurs and laid siege to their goal for 90 minutes, and it nearly ended in disaster for both of them. We're certainly not better than City or Liverpool at dominating games and laying siege to opponents so I don't think relentless attack is the way to go here - it feels like we'd be playing right into their hands.

As always, the key to winning usually comes down to the simple math of forcing the other team to do less of what they're good at and more of what they're bad at. We all know what they're good at - sitting deep and trying to get opponents to stretch themselves so they can hit them on lightning-fast counters. And we all know what they're bad at - breaking down low blocks, unpicking locks, control from midfield and having to defend wide open spaces. All we really need to do is force them into a Mexican stand-off: they sit deep, we sit deep. They're the ones who desperately need the win so they'll have to blink first, and as soon as they do then they'll be forced into doing all the things they're bad at. We just need to be patient and hold our nerve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Yeah I don't want to see just containment - I want to see control. We go for the win, but we do it by being smart and having a plan. City and Liverpool both utterly dominated their games against spurs and laid siege to their goal for 90 minutes, and it nearly ended in disaster for both of them. We're certainly not better than City or Liverpool at dominating games and laying siege to opponents so I don't think relentless attack is the way to go here - it feels like we'd be playing right into their hands.

As always, the key to winning usually comes down to the simple math of forcing the other team to do less of what they're good at and more of what they're bad at. We all know what they're good at - sitting deep and trying to get opponents to stretch themselves so they can hit them on lightning-fast counters. And we all know what they're bad at - breaking down low blocks, unpicking locks, control from midfield and having to defend wide open spaces. All we really need to do is force them into a Mexican stand-off: they sit deep, we sit deep. They're the ones who desperately need the win so they'll have to blink first, and as soon as they do then they'll be forced into doing all the things they're bad at. We just need to be patient and hold our nerve.
    I hope you've emailed the manager with this.

BTW I'm nervous as hell already and have been all week!
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I second that
    Good analysis

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good analysis, however...

When we are up for a game, we really aren't that bad a team, let's not show Spuds too much respect as they aren't that good a team either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I hope you've emailed the manager with this.

BTW I'm nervous as hell already and have been all week!
    I feel physically sick, although I guess it's still better than the usual nothing that I feel at this stage of the season.

Arrgh!!! F--king Kane and Son! It really is just those two. The rest of that team is utter trash and I really do resent having to feel this much anxiety over two players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes unfortunately Kane and Son are exceptional, Spuds don't even have to play well to win games if them 2 are on it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Yes unfortunately Kane and Son are exceptional, Spuds don't even have to play well to win games if them 2 are on it.
    It's amazing to me how often they've bolloxed it up this season given they have those two up front. It's why I've always favoured them for top 4.