User Tag List

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's where we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Saka is exceptional for a 20 year old - an absolute dream player for any coach.

It's not just about his output in terms of goals and assists - it's the amount of tactical flex he gives you in a single player without having to make any changes. You need someone to create, he can do that. You need goals, he can do that. You need someone to dribble, he can do that. You need someone to drop into midfield and transition the play, he can do that. You need someone on the left / right / centre - he's got it covered. You need someone to fill in as an 8 in midfield - Saka. You need an emergency LB - Saka. He attacks and defends and does any and every job he's asked to do equally well, and he does it with a fantastic attitude.

Again, this kid is 20 - 20 years old! Give him another 2 or 3 years and, as others have said, put the right support around him (some strong, direct competition so he can occasionally have a rest, a decent striker to finish the chances he creates, a squad with more depth so he doesn't have to keep filling in everywhere, etc) and he'll develop into one of the strongest players in the league.
    Yep - agree with all that
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not just about his output in terms of goals and assists - it's the amount of tactical flex he gives you in a single player without having to make any changes. You need someone to create, he can do that. You need goals, he can do that. You need someone to dribble, he can do that. You need someone to drop into midfield and transition the play, he can do that. You need someone on the left / right / centre - he's got it covered. You need someone to fill in as an 8 in midfield - Saka. You need an emergency LB - Saka. He attacks and defends and does any and every job he's asked to do equally well, and he does it with a fantastic attitude.

Again, this kid is 20 - 20 years old! Give him another 2 or 3 years and, as others have said, put the right support around him (some strong, direct competition so he can occasionally have a rest, a decent striker to finish the chances he creates, a squad with more depth so he doesn't have to keep filling in everywhere, etc) and he'll develop into one of the strongest players in the league.
    An absolutely woeful post.

The worst I've seen since I came back.

What I will say is this though, Saka's best, and only consistent, performances came at LB. He's much better suited to that position, where the game can be far more linear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Yep - good comments. My tuppence worth - Saka is popular because he plays eye-catching football - and we all like that 'electric' high-octane stuff. Often the very best footballers are those who might not necessarily do play at 100 miles an hour or do the tricks and flicks - but those who see the game better than anyone else, and understand exactly what they need to do before other players - executing with maximum efficiency. As you say - Saka is also the victim of the idolisation culture you have identified.

But he is a very good player IMO nonetheless - more so when you consider his tender age/inexperience and our lack of senior players (Partey aside) able to dominate the opposition and provide a proper platform around him. We should not be relying on him as much as we do. It's no accident that the likes of Klopp admire him (and reportedly sees Saka as a future replacement for Salah/Mane). I think that Saka would have progressed more had he not been lamentably overplayed and given no protection from the rough housing he receives in every game.

Other players highlighted in the OP:

ESR - I love him but he hasn't progressed since he first made it into the first team. I'm hoping that this is due to injuries/knocks that can be ironed out longer term but he is a worry for me.

Xhaka - everyone on here knows my controversial view that he is better than his reputation amongst many Arsenal fans, a great professional and will normally give you a 7/10. I think its unfair that he has become a lightening rod for those frustrated by our years outside the top 4 and castigated for what he is not rather than what he is...but we have done this to death.

Ben White had a better season than many think...IMO he is burdened by a price tag that has been measured by the standards of 3 years ago, not the current transfer market for British players.

Odegard is a genius - and one of the types of players whose reading of the game is just better than almost anyone else. Can't wait to see him working with a top class striker.

Martinelli is one of those eye-catchers mentioned above, but badly needs to find consistent end product.

Saliba - I worry about him being seen as the next messiah. I really do. We cannot and should not ignore how good our defence was last season when we had our first choice back 5 available.

...and my final comment (again) despite the criticism we finished 2 points off top 4 with the most callow team in the league. My wish is that our team could be evaluated as against reality, not perfection or projection as to what the competition will do.
    Some...intradesting opinions there.

Xhaka being the strangest one. 7/10??? We clearly rate the game entirely differently. Even when Xhaka does nothing wrong (which is always a fear with him, which says it all) he does very little right/well.

He's one of these insignificant players. Everything he does is junk. Takes the balls plays it short to the side or backwards. Almost all of his involvements could be bypassed by the player who gives the ball to Xhaka simply giving it to the player Xhaka then gives it to. That's how easy it would be to replicate Xhaka's contribution to the team.

He's also woeful defensively, letting players run off him more than any other CM I've ever seen.

Elneny is exactly the same with his cowardly possession of the ball, but he's slightly more disciplined defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck me, I have to come back to this post, it's THAT fuckin bad, man.

Pure fanboyism at it's absolute worst. I've no idea who you are but if I'm told you're 11 years old I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, tbh.

I'd still give you a slap though, for your own good.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    intradesting
    Interesting spelling.

If I'm told you are 11 years old, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck me, I have to come back to this post, it's THAT fuckin bad, man.

Pure fanboyism at it's absolute worst. I've no idea who you are but if I'm told you're 11 years old I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, tbh.

I'd still give you a slap though, for your own good.
    Pepe... is that you?
    Last edited by I am invisible; 22-06-2022 at 02:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Struck a nerve with your wee tadger here, eh?

Anyway, glad we agree on him being shite at shooting. Difficult not to though, even for blinkered arsenal fans.

As for comparing him...I'm not. I'm judging him on his merits and how he impacts games. I put a challenge out there to anyone to name a couple of games he's dominated but no one has responded. Weird that, eh?

Regardless, it's others who are comparing him against the rest of the squad. Multiple people stating that "he is our best player", ffs. Anyone who thinks Saka is a better footballer than Ramsdale, Tierney, Tommy, Gabriel, Partey or Odegaard has absolutely no fuckin business commenting on fitba, ffs. Beyond ridiculous. That's objective fact anaw. Naw even a matter of opinion.

I'd actually have Saka behind Martinelli and ESR too, in terms of both current ability and potential, fwiw.

But Saka is the Golden Boy and objectivity be damned.
    I think there are players who get overhyped by the fan base. Ramsey for example was the bane of my existence because he summed up a midfield that lacked dynamism, no pace, poor first touch….passing not brilliant.

Yes I do think Saka is our best player and is better than the players you mentioned, but again it feels odd saying that because not comparing like for like. I don’t think there is a single player that has individually won us a game in the way a Henry or Van Persie did. But unlike you I would take Saka over Pepe in the position they play.

Pepe is the closest player I’ve ever seen to Laurent Robert in his application, and believe me that’s not a positive comparison. Robert was capable of excellent football but he was capable of being an utter prick and doing nothing. Pepe has an awful first touch, he doesn’t track back and it’s a 50/50 as to whether he shows for the ball at all. He’s a luxury player, but not one who’s grit and determination wins you games.

I think Arteta has made a lot of mistakes with not rotating the squad last season but Pepe just simply does not give a fuck

Saka pesters defenders, he’s always there to receive a pass and frankly I think he actually makes Odegaard look better than he is.

I agree with you about there being a tendency towards orthodoxy amongst the fan base I just think you’re utterly wrong on this.

I like Martinelli and Smith Rowe, I think Martinelli has especially been frustrated by putting in service to Lacazette with him no where to be seen. Smith Rowe frankly looks like he needs to lose a bit of weight, I think he’s got a good footballing brain but he has looked unfit for a while, plus not helped by Arteta playing him and Odegaard in the same team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KSE Comedy Club View Post
    Interesting spelling.

If I'm told you are 11 years old, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest, tbh.
    Nice comeback.

Selling optimism to fools KSE Comedy Club's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice comeback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I think there are players who get overhyped by the fan base. Ramsey for example was the bane of my existence because he summed up a midfield that lacked dynamism, no pace, poor first touch….passing not brilliant.

Yes I do think Saka is our best player and is better than the players you mentioned, but again it feels odd saying that because not comparing like for like. I don’t think there is a single player that has individually won us a game in the way a Henry or Van Persie did. But unlike you I would take Saka over Pepe in the position they play.

Pepe is the closest player I’ve ever seen to Laurent Robert in his application, and believe me that’s not a positive comparison. Robert was capable of excellent football but he was capable of being an utter prick and doing nothing. Pepe has an awful first touch, he doesn’t track back and it’s a 50/50 as to whether he shows for the ball at all. He’s a luxury player, but not one who’s grit and determination wins you games.

I think Arteta has made a lot of mistakes with not rotating the squad last season but Pepe just simply does not give a fuck

Saka pesters defenders, he’s always there to receive a pass and frankly I think he actually makes Odegaard look better than he is.

I agree with you about there being a tendency towards orthodoxy amongst the fan base I just think you’re utterly wrong on this.

I like Martinelli and Smith Rowe, I think Martinelli has especially been frustrated by putting in service to Lacazette with him no where to be seen. Smith Rowe frankly looks like he needs to lose a bit of weight, I think he’s got a good footballing brain but he has looked unfit for a while, plus not helped by Arteta playing him and Odegaard in the same team.
    We actually have a lot of common ground, tbh. Ramsey was another fan favorite but he couldn't play a single position.

Also agree on Martinelli and ESR.

On Pepe I think he stopped giving a fuck when Arteta started messing him about...not that I think he stopped caring, as such, but I know exactly what you mean and how it could be perceived as such.

On Saka you're just plain wrong though, man. I don't think you actually think he's our best player either. That's just too ridiculous. He's your favorite player, not the best player. Comments like he always shows for the ball are mind blowing to me because that's one of my biggest gripes with him. He can and does disappear from games constantly and is happy just hanging out on the line, behind an opposition player. As for his impact on Odegaard...it's the opposite way about. If Odegaard had someone other than Saka there he'd have double the assists he had. Sala doesn't pres well and his defensive efforts are often lamentable, ffs. I'm not even sure who you're watching, man. Just utterly blinded by bias/favoritism, maybe? I'd have thought even his biggest, objective, fans would sees the glaring issues in his game.

Can you even tell me a couple of games you thought he was really good in?