Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: All or Nothing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I never mentioned Ozil

But it’s interesting neither Wenger or Emery experienced issues with Auba’s attitude

Then there’s Torreira, Pepe and Guendouzi

If you think Auba is the last player Arteta will fall out with and freeze out I think you’re delusional
    You seem like a huge fan reading things people didn’t say, and then going on a big run.

It must be noisy inside that pretty little head of yours.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    Players change. Both Ozil and Auba dropped off a cliff once they signed those mega contracts. No more incentive to put in a shift. I am all for performance based contracts. 50% of salaries should be based on team/individual performance, even if a 3rd party needs to be involved to adjudicate the merits of each individual player. If the team is crap, so should your pay be
    Petro teams will never buy into this discipline. But I like your idea.
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So in Arteta’s mind it was punishment for being late to training and being late to training six months earlier.
    There was more to it than that. They don't go into detail but there were obviously a series of things where Auba wasn't toeing the line.
    For whatever reason the relationship between manager and player broke down. Arteta couldn't back down and retain authority.
    Only option was to get rid.

I do think Arteta's team talks are weird, but the players seem to respond to them so whatevz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finding it difficult to understand why people have such a problem with Arteta getting rid of players that were problematic to the team ethic, either because of disciplinary issues or because they were not team players. People are entitled to speculate as to whether this player or that is/was a better football player than those we are left with, or to take issue with whether they may have fared differently under a different manager. But personally I think we have to start with the culture that Arteta wishes to foster. He is our manager, whether people like it or not, and is in charge. If players can't, or don't want to play ball under his regime, then the manager is right to get rid for the sake of the team. We have complained about the shit culture around Arsenal for years. It therfore seems hugely unfair to complain when a manager tries to address this.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Finding it difficult to understand why people have such a problem with Arteta getting rid of players that were problematic to the team ethic, either because of disciplinary issues or because they were not team players. People are entitled to speculate as to whether this player or that is/was a better football player than those we are left with, or to take issue with whether they may have fared differently under a different manager. But personally I think we have to start with the culture that Arteta wishes to foster. He is our manager, whether people like it or not, and is in charge. If players can't, or don't want to play ball under his regime, then the manager is right to get rid for the sake of the team. We have complained about the shit culture around Arsenal for years. It therfore seems hugely unfair to complain when a manager tries to address this.
    Agreed. The culture at the club stunk so bad that it got to a point where fans stopped caring because there was nothing that remotely resembled Arsenal left in the squad anymore.

It’s fine if you think Arteta is a weirdo or a cunt but he has rightly pushed the reset button on this club. What we have now is better recruitment, motivated players and most importantly a happy fanbase and match going crowd. If that meant making some tough decisions along the way then so be it, whatever you think of his ability as a coach he absolutely has to lay down the law and ensure things are done his way and standards continue to be met.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Agreed. The culture at the club stunk so bad that it got to a point where fans stopped caring because there was nothing that remotely resembled Arsenal left in the squad anymore.

It’s fine if you think Arteta is a weirdo or a cunt but he has rightly pushed the reset button on this club. What we have now is better recruitment, motivated players and most importantly a happy fanbase and match going crowd. If that meant making some tough decisions along the way then so be it, whatever you think of his ability as a coach he absolutely has to lay down the law and ensure things are done his way and standards continue to be met.
    Agreed. Anyone who has been to games recently cannot dispute that there has been a sea change in the atmosphere around the club - and this includes the players. People moan when we don't put in a 10/10 performance in every game, but frankly no team ever does - even Citeh and Liverpool, and we cannot have done more this season than win every game, and have our players clearly playing with hugely more drive and purpose. You don't come back from conceding goals as we have done without a great team spirit. This is down to Arteta's management, and you can't have the improved performances and togetherness without accepting the manager's methods. Personally, I don't want to see players out there that don't buy into the project and it surprises me to see people favouring those who haven;t done and left the club.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue is we were not in a position to decide that our best striker was beyond redemption. And when you can look at the way Guendouzi was dealt with and look at our current central midfield and not consider that an issue, the problem is not with the people pointing out that something is hideously wrong with Arteta

What exactly had Auba done to be treated the way he was, being late to training and being back a day late from seeing his mum. The way he was isolated, you’d have thought he was R Kelly.

There’s no consistency with it either, Laca grabs Cedric round the throat because he commented unfavourably on Laca sliding in like a Cunt on young Arsenal players. I didn’t see any public discipline for Laca here.

When you’re trying to get fourth spot do you not think it would have been wise to fine Auba maybe leave him out of the side for a game and then that would be that?. If the player is going at the end of the season anyway it’s utterly churlish to not try and get as many goals out of him as possible rather than trying to look like you’re in control by humiliating him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no sympathy for Auba, if taken in isolation. These players who think they have somehow surpassed the requirement to be eternally grateful for the entirely unreasonable privilege they enjoy deserve our upmost contempt. If they guy can't even turn up on time, to be showered in money and pampered like a prince, then fuck him. No?

However.

As this warranted standard is not applied evenly and vigorously across the board I can see where the confusion arises. Why him and not any of the other pieces of shit who masquerade as sportsmen? Good question.

Who are the professionals these days? The ones who live for the sport and not the money? They must still exist even if their number if greatly diminished. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but there must be some? Ain't Auba though.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My issue is we were not in a position to decide that our best striker was beyond redemption.
    Who are "we"? Arteta made the call, and it is his call to make.

the problem is not with the people pointing out that something is hideously wrong with Arteta
    The players seem to disagree with that assessment.

What exactly had Auba done to be treated the way he was, being late to training and being back a day late from seeing his mum.
    That is not known. But from the things Arteta hinted at in A or N it clearly wasn't just one or two things. Isolating him was a bit "putting him on the naughty step" but Arteta clearly felt Auba's presence in training would have a negative effect. Again, that is his call to make. If there is a criticism of Arteta it's that he weakened the squad last January and didn't sign anyone. He took a gamble that the squad would carry us through the rest of the season, it didn't quite work in terms of top 4. But he was also clearly thinking longer term, the club are clearly backing him and have invested well this summer. We are seeing the results. Long way to go, obviously. And this season will have its ups and downs as they all do. But we do look to have stepped up a level this year.

When you’re trying to get fourth spot do you not think it would have been wise to fine Auba maybe leave him out of the side for a game and then that would be that?. If the player is going at the end of the season anyway it’s utterly churlish to not try and get as many goals out of him as possible rather than trying to look like you’re in control by humiliating him.
    There was obviously more going on than him just being late for a training session or not. Arteta made the call that it was better overall for squad discipline and cohesion to get rid. It's notable that Laca, who apparently was BFFs with Auba, pretty much stopped scoring too. So he was shipped as well. Fans only think short term, the club clearly has a longer term strategy. Whether it will work, well let's see how this season goes. But there are positive signs so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Who are "we"? Arteta made the call, and it is his call to make.

The players seem to disagree with that assessment.

That is not known. But from the things Arteta hinted at in A or N it clearly wasn't just one or two things. Isolating him was a bit "putting him on the naughty step" but Arteta clearly felt Auba's presence in training would have a negative effect. Again, that is his call to make. If there is a criticism of Arteta it's that he weakened the squad last January and didn't sign anyone. He took a gamble that the squad would carry us through the rest of the season, it didn't quite work in terms of top 4. But he was also clearly thinking longer term, the club are clearly backing him and have invested well this summer. We are seeing the results. Long way to go, obviously. And this season will have its ups and downs as they all do. But we do look to have stepped up a level this year.

There was obviously more going on than him just being late for a training session or not. Arteta made the call that it was better overall for squad discipline and cohesion to get rid. It's notable that Laca, who apparently was BFFs with Auba, pretty much stopped scoring too. So he was shipped as well. Fans only think short term, the club clearly has a longer term strategy. Whether it will work, well let's see how this season goes. But there are positive signs so far.
    The difference is your reaching for explanations I'm using Occam’s razor as a guide

You talk about what the players say about Arteta, they go on about what a brilliant tactical mind he has. They don’t talk about how much they like him. To a degree I would accept it’s not necessary to like a coach, but when you have zero personal relationships with any of these players (something clearly alluded to by Edu at one point) the idea that anyone thinks players being singled out and isolated because they have earned the ire of this weird, introverted megalomaniac is suddenly over because we have sculpted a new squad is sadly mistaken.
    As I keep saying it’s a clear pattern of behaviour, even NQ has a point that there’s zero consistency with it either.
    Arteta’s frail ego cannot stand to be challenged, so in that respect we are stuck with someone with the personality type and charm of Graham Souness