User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pre-season stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner23 View Post
    Only seen the highlights but we look sharp. Just praying Jesus stays fit this season because he looks really exciting.

Hopefully the starting line up last night will be the same as the one for Palace in a couple of weeks. White at RB over Cedric.
    Pretty sure it will be - I’m not sure we see Cedric starting games unless Tomi, White and Saliba are all out. Cedric means having to change the way we play - those first three don’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only seen the highlights but we look sharp. Just praying Jesus stays fit this season because he looks really exciting.

Hopefully the starting line up last night will be the same as the one for Palace in a couple of weeks. White at RB over Cedric.
    Our first XI when everyone is fully fit is decent and there is strong competition for starting places at Left Back, Tierney v Zinchenko and Centre Back, Saliba v White. Still think we need someone like Tielemans to come into Midfield to provide strong competion for Xhaka and Partey, would also like a decent Winger assuming Pepe leaves.

Like you, I'm still a bit concerned about Jesus breaking down, Nketiah is decent enough....but I don't want us to have to rely on him for an extended period of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus really does look good. So tidy on the ball. So e of his turns and moves last night were lovely.

He was dropping deep too often for my liking though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last night also made it clear that we need a winger in.

Our quality out wide is really poor. Martinelli can be effective but nowhere near consistently enough to be relied upon and Saka was utterly abysmal yet again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When does the 'season predictions' thread start? we're not far off now ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    When does the 'season predictions' thread start? we're not far off now ...
    You are allowed to start threads, you know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You are allowed to start threads, you know!
    You sound like my Missus, Letters

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Our first XI when everyone is fully fit is decent and there is strong competition for starting places at Left Back, Tierney v Zinchenko and Centre Back, Saliba v White. Still think we need someone like Tielemans to come into Midfield to provide strong competion for Xhaka and Partey, would also like a decent Winger assuming Pepe leaves.

Like you, I'm still a bit concerned about Jesus breaking down, Nketiah is decent enough....but I don't want us to have to rely on him for an extended period of time.
    Eddie’s no Jesus, but he’s one of the players I’m most interested to follow this year. From what I’ve heard he didn’t allow himself much of a holiday after signing that new contract and it looks like he’s used that time to hit the gym! I remember him being this little lightweight who didn’t really do much other than pop up in the area and poach the odd goal, but I’ve been watching him preseason and he looks aggressive and hard to knock off the ball now. He’s coming deep, holding the ball up under pressure, twisting and turning and actually taking players on, none of which he ever used to do. And he’s giving opponents a shove and leaving a shoulder on them, which I really like. It looks like he’s seen Jesus come in and he’s trying to copy bits of his game, which, again, I’m really happy about - not just because he now has a good role model, but because it shows that he’s sharp enough to read what the manager wants in a CF and is trying to add it to his game.

Bottom line for me: even if he’s not in Jesus’s league, he’s still a huge improvement on Lacazette, which is all we were willing to use as an option for most of last season, and both are an infinite upgrade on Aubameyang who was no option at all from the end of November onwards.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    You sound like my Missus, Letters
    So long as I don’t look like her

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post