User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: This Weekend's Fixtures (06/07 August).

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    0-2 Haaland with his second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I am invisible View Post
    Oh I’m sure Ten Hag is willing and is under no illusions about the job that needs doing - I just don’t think most United fans really understand what it’s going to look like. They say it will be a 3 year project, but I think they’re expecting a nice, neat, steady progression where they go from where they are to EL to CL to challenging for the title in consecutive years - I’m not sure many of them are ready for it to get worse before it can get better.

Year 1 isn’t going to be about anything more than salvage, and it’s going to suck. The club have invested hundreds of millions in some of those players and they’re going to want to see if ETH can get anything out of them before they write all that money off and have to start buying out contracts. Which means he’s going to have to pick a lot of players and teams that won’t make sense to us and will piss off a lot of their supporters.

But that’s what we’re talking about in year 1: salvage and write-offs. Some players might show that they’re willing to get on board, but a lot of them won’t like it and are going to be unsellable on the contracts they’re on, so the club are either going to have to wait them out or buy them out, if they want the quicker option. And once those players start to understand that they’re no longer wanted or needed, and that there’s no buyers out there for them, they’re going to try to down tools and try to tank the manager. Because that will be their best bet for survival. Same as happened here.

It’s gonna get ugly over there and they need to back the manager, no matter how bad it gets, otherwise they’re never getting past this. I just really question whether they’ve got the stomach for it - there’s a sense of entitlement that comes with a lot United fans of a certain generation that I don’t think will allow them to accept anything other than immediate results, and that’s going to keep them stuck in this same cycle of never seeing the job through if they keep demanding the manager’s head.

And as an Arsenal fan I’m here for that!
    Uniteds deterioration since Ferguson left has been a constant source of pleasure. And in a way he is to blame, he left them in a mess…no real blueprint for a successor and even then a team that despite winning the title (largely due to Van Persie) was so full of average.
    Moyes was set up to fail, he was never good enough for United…his level is at clubs like Everton and West Ham.

My fervent hope is that Chelsea follow suit…I really detest that club. However there’s no sign of there being a change in direction from the most successful clubs being bankrolled by the largesse of the owner. And we can’t say too much in that regard, it’s clear despite not wanting to that Kroenke has been funding our transfer spending for some considerable time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McNamara That Ghost... View Post
    0-2 Haaland with his second.
    That boy is a freak of nature, ridiculous pace, athleticism, technical ability and he’s also a fucking giant which means he’s an aerial threat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Utd and Arsenal have both shown how hard it is to move on from a successful generational manager. Fergie left on a high, Wenger didn’t although I didn’t think the squad he left us with was that bad.
    But so far it seems that Arsenal have moved on better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Utd and Arsenal have both shown how hard it is to move on from a successful generational manager. Fergie left on a high, Wenger didn’t although I didn’t think the squad he left us with was that bad.
    But so far it seems that Arsenal have moved on better.
    Apples and Oranges, for two reasons

One United were champions in Fergie’s last season and we finished 6th having lost seven away games in a row. We had a central midfield of Xhaka and Elneny and creative players like Iwobi and Mkyhtarian it’s fair to say we weren’t in the best state when Wenger left us so not really buying into the argument that he left us with a decent squad either.

Second Ferguson retired at a time of his own choosing, Wenger would still be here today if the decision had been left with him. So in a way that excuses Wenger a bit more, where as I genuinely think Ferguson almost intentionally set United up to fail with a lackadaisical succession plan…he wanted Moyes because he knew Moyes wouldn’t outshine him. Someone like Ferguson is small minded and petty like that where as Wenger even if he’d left of his own volition I think he would have maybe laid the groundwork for someone to take over but I don’t think he would have tried to influence who his replacement was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    it’s fair to say we weren’t in the best state when Wenger left us so not really buying into the argument that he left us with a decent squad either.
    The season after Wenger left Liverpool and City were in their own little world. After that we were pretty much as good as anyone and better than most. We finished 5th but we were only 2 points off 3rd. And we got to the Europa League Final. They weren’t sweeping all before them, but it was a decent base to build on IMO.