User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Match Reaction v Leeds (away) & Match Ratings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    If we are serious about this season then we should write off both the domestic cups and fill the team with kids. I don't care, the League and Europa are the prime competitions here and that's what the focus should be on given our squad is small.
    unfortunately i think Arteta is from the Pep G 'let's try and win everything' school, but let's hope he does see sense with the cups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketsi View Post
    Think you're stretching for a stick to beat Arteta with there... Gabriel Jesus has played fewer minutes than Martinelli, Saka, Erling Haaland, Harry Kane, Son, Mo Salah, to name just a few. 20%+ fewer club minutes compared with most of those players from other teams that are in the CL, and he wasn't called up by Brazil for the recent international break, unlike most of them.
    Yep...Jesus just isn't as good as some like to think, unfortunately.

Crying fatigue in October is pathetic, man.

I've never seen Xhaka, who plays significantly more than anyone on the entire fuckin planet, seemingly, get such excuses made for him. Not that he deserves it either, but the double standards are fuckin laughable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    yes the aim's still top 4 and even there i'd say all we've done is improve our odds a little at this stage - I'm more worried about the 'bombing completely' end of things, last season we'd started riding our luck even before those three straight defeats that lost us our CL place

unless they recruit big in January it could be even worse - i think we're still short in midfield, we also need another proper left back who doesn't want to drift in-field, so we can play Tierney in the PL and someone else in the EL and cup games. and a striker - Eddie is still just 'ok' for me, we need someone better

one other thing - Arteta needs to play 100% kids in the League Cup when it comes
    Don't really get the LB comment. It's the same with the Xhaka comments, around him being out of position/too advanced. They're following Arteta's instructions here so any LB moving into CM is being directed to. They're not doing it of their own free will, ffs. Zinchenko probably would, tbf, but that's why he was bought.
    Same with Xhaka...he's not "vacating his position", he's following Arteta's instructions.

So buying a LB who doesn't drift inside makes zero sense in Arteta land. Same for (hopefully) Xhaka's replacement. It'll be someone who plays in the position Xhaka is failing to play now...I don't buy this improvement talk at all. He's still fuckin shit and takes an age to transition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just Arsenal's luck that the season they start so strongly the other 'big' teams have too. One arsenal loss and those teams win then the league position is precarious. Moreso that Liverpool are the team furthest behind but most capable of closing that gap when they, inevitably, turn it around.

I'd bite your fuckin hand off for 4th place right noo. Absolutely no doubt about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    Don't really get the LB comment. It's the same with the Xhaka comments, around him being out of position/too advanced. They're following Arteta's instructions here so any LB moving into CM is being directed to. They're not doing it of their own free will, ffs. Zinchenko probably would, tbf, but that's why he was bought.
    Same with Xhaka...he's not "vacating his position", he's following Arteta's instructions.

So buying a LB who doesn't drift inside makes zero sense in Arteta land. Same for (hopefully) Xhaka's replacement. It'll be someone who plays in the position Xhaka is failing to play now...I don't buy this improvement talk at all. He's still fuckin shit and takes an age to transition.
    I get what you're saying re it being how Arteta wants them to play but Tomi couldn't seem to help drifting in and Arteta was silly to think just because Tomi did a job on Salah it meant he's the best player to have there permanemtly.

As for Xhaka, agreed he's not good enough but he does far less damage in that advanced position and for as long as he remains teacher's pet I'd prefer he played there than DM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I get what you're saying re it being how Arteta wants them to play but Tomi couldn't seem to help drifting in and Arteta was silly to think just because Tomi did a job on Salah it meant he's the best player to have there permanemtly.

As for Xhaka, agreed he's not good enough but he does far less damage in that advanced position and for as long as he remains teacher's pet I'd prefer he played there than DM
    Aye, agreed. Arteta almost never changes the team after a big win. Pure stupidity but that's Arteta. He won't even acknowledge that the reason there was so little attacking threat was the fullbacks...he'll be patting himself on the back celebrating the clean sheet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Yeah would be good to try and win a European competition even if it’s a b side competition

Win on Thursday and we are pretty much assured of a bye into the last sixteen
    Yep, a European trophy would be very nice.

Thursday's game could be potentially tricky if we don't put out a fairly strong team, PSV are a good side, not great but good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    Just Arsenal's luck that the season they start so strongly the other 'big' teams have too. One arsenal loss and those teams win then the league position is precarious. Moreso that Liverpool are the team furthest behind but most capable of closing that gap when they, inevitably, turn it around.

I'd bite your fuckin hand off for 4th place right noo. Absolutely no doubt about it.
    A strong start is still great. As are the victories against the Spuds and Liverpool back to back, it will give the players that extra bit of confidence and determination to keep this run going.

I'd bite your hand off for 4th place too given our history when in promising positions. It's still very early into the season and lots can change between now and the business end of the season but finishing in the top 3/4 should be the number 1 priority.