Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal v Southampton/Arteta player ratings

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    @Letters

But the point is I and the others here who question some of what Arteta does can clearly point to how predictable this was and the fact that the Leeds game gave a very clear indication of how thin the ice was on which we were skating
    You're going to get off days, patches in a season where you wobble, unless you're City and can bring world class players off the bench.
    It's too early to tell if this is one of those rough patches in a season or whether we are starting to struggle - we have been riding our luck a bit and definitely got away with it at Leeds.
    Overall we are way ahead of where any of us expected us to be so far this season. We need to pick up some more points before the World Cup, I wonder if that being in the middle of the season will actually help us a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I have to say I agree with this, it’s really not like the players not getting a look in are particularly showing that much in the Europa league. Nketiah who I do like was poor in the last two games he started, and he was giving the ball away a lot against Southampton.
    The Tomoyasu thing is galaxy brained and I think he didn’t seem to know what he was doing when trying to defend against Elyounoussi for their equaliser.

Whilst I far from agree with all his transfer decisions I do think he is slowly building a squad, I am it’s abundantly clear no fan of Arteta but I’m not going to get too much on his case yesterday…the players needed to be more clinical in front of goal in the first half but equally I’m not heartbroken about dropping points against Southampton.
    I'm not going to defend Eddie's past couple of performances, but he was by no means the only player giving the ball away against Southampton - the whole team was. Eddie scored in the 1st leg vs Bodo Glimt, so we are only really talking about the 2 subsequent Europa League games where he started but failed to score, and the away leg at Bodo can really be chalked off as a whole team bad day.

I do feel that if Arteta wants to see the best from him, Eddie needs to have a run starting in games where we are not playing a second string team, and as a number 9. If nothing else, we need to see whether if given this responsibility he can get to where he was for us when he got a go last season.

Like you, I don't think we need to be too downhearted about the result yesterday, but I would like to see us being able to rely on other options when first teamers aren't firing.
    Last edited by IBK; 24-10-2022 at 01:46 PM.
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    I'm not going to defend Eddie's past couple of performances, but he was by no means the only player giving the ball away against Southampton - the whole team was. Eddie scored in the 1st leg vs Bodo Glimt, so we are only really talking about the 2 subsequent Europa League games where he started but failed to score, and the away leg at Bodo can really be chalked off as a whole team bad day.

I do feel that if Arteta wants to see the best from him, Eddie needs to have a run starting in games where we are not playing a second string team, and as a number 9. If nothing else, we need to see whether if given this responsibility he can get to where he was for us when he got a go last season.

Like you, I don't think we need to be too downhearted about the result yesterday, but I would like to see us being able to rely on other options when first teamers aren't firing.
    You’d have to point to where I’ve said he was the only person giving the ball away, I think the only reason I mention it is because I think with a lot of players it was fatigue, but with others like Eddie and Vieira there was a bit of a lack of finesse.

It’s not just the lack of goals. He scored in the home game against Bodo but was exceptionally wasteful given the positions he got himself into.

Feels like either a lack of confidence or is trying too hard, and it’s hard to know whether being played more than he is, is the solution or not.

Well possibly start him against Forest, with the added consideration that if Jesus gets booked he misses the game against Chelsea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    You're going to get off days, patches in a season where you wobble, unless you're City and can bring world class players off the bench.
    It's too early to tell if this is one of those rough patches in a season or whether we are starting to struggle - we have been riding our luck a bit and definitely got away with it at Leeds.
    Overall we are way ahead of where any of us expected us to be so far this season. We need to pick up some more points before the World Cup, I wonder if that being in the middle of the season will actually help us a bit.
    Still missing the point.

You can call them off days but they're largely self inflicted. That's the frustration.

We've all seen the problems taking hold and to most there are pretty obvious solutions, or at least attempted solutions, rather than simply persevering.

Your position seems to be that arsenal are ahead of where most thought so there's no need to optimize. Basically everyone else thinks there are potential solutions that can further improve the position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am familiar with the concept that many football fans think they’d be really good football managers because they're good at FIFA 23* and won the treble with Acrington Stanley.
    *not in to gaming, swap that for whatever manager game the kids are playing these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I am familiar with the concept that many football fans think they’d be really good football managers because they're good at FIFA 23* and won the treble with Acrington Stanley.
    *not in to gaming, swap that for whatever manager game the kids are playing these days.
    You know you run a board for football debate and discussion, right??

Fuck me, man.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    You know you run a board for football debate and discussion, right?.
    I do. And as such people are free to express their opinion, as they have, and I’m free to express mine.
    See? That’s how this place works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the highlights, it didn't really show how poor we were in the second half. Overall it looked like a #decent performance which on another day would have got us 3 points.
    The penalty claims could have gone the other way, I've seen ones given for less than the way Jesus was being held.
    Less worried about this performance than the one at Leeds where we really did get away with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...5df3b093c12933

Not very edifying viewing. I don't want to blame our dropped points on the referee - because it was our failure to finish that did us but.....sheesh!
    Putting the laughter back into manslaughter