User Tag List

Page 1 of 147 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Qatar Shitshow 2022 thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Qatar Shitshow 2022 thread

So I suspect the reaction of most of us on here about the forthcoming World Cup and whether it should be held at all ranges from indifference to being outright opposed.

So we know stadium workers have died, and there has been issues of having their passport confiscated, signing contracts that prevented them from leaving the country, weren’t getting paid properly, on time and sometimes even at all.

However before today I wasn’t aware of the total number of deaths, but it is estimated to be in and around the 6,500 mark. Over an eight year period, that’s 15 people a week. The death certificates listing these as natural causes….but most of these guys are young guys in their twenties and thirties.

Now reading between the lines, natural causes would be heat exhaustion, heart attacks, malnutrition or just the result of living in unsanitary living conditions.

So put aside whatever your opinion is on Qatar’s record on treatment of the LGBT community (which really is no worse than any other Arab gulf state) for a moment. And this tournament is being played on the backs of the deaths of enough men to make up a small war.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    However before today I wasn’t aware of the total number of deaths, but it is estimated to be in and around the 6,500 mark. Over an eight year period, that’s 15 people a week. The death certificates listing these as natural causes….but most of these guys are young guys in their twenties and thirties.
    Probably all because of the Covid Vaccine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still can’t believe this is happening but the footballing world has had 12 years to do something meaningful about it, so I don’t really see why there has been all this uproar over the last few weeks, as though their human rights record and views on homosexuality has only just been discovered.

Couldn’t give 2 shits about this tournament to be honest, not going to make any concerted effort to watch games like I would with a normal World Cup.

Brazil or Argentina will win it I think.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 11-11-2022 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Still can’t believe this is happening but the footballing world has had 12 years to do something meaningful about it, so I don’t really see why there has been all this uproar over the last few weeks, as though their human rights record and views on homosexuality has only just been discovered.
    Well. It's obviously because it's happening soon, it's brought it all into sharp focus again.
    And there have been a few other things going on in the world in the last few years which have taken centre stage.

I can't really get the hang of it either, it's ludicrous that I'm trying to cross-check Christmas events with World Cup games to make sure there are no clashes. I'm not engaged as I usually would be although some of that is because of my feelings about football as a thing. But I booked the afternoon off for the first England game, I'll certainly be following them and will probably watch a reasonable number of neutral games because overall I do like the World Cup even if this one is certainly tainted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Probably all because of the Covid Vaccine

Behave yourself

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post

Couldn’t give 2 shits about this tournament to be honest, not going to make any concerted effort to watch games like I would with a normal World Cup.

Brazil or Argentina will win it I think.
    That’s human beings for you, whilst I do think a lot of especially sports journalists have very much tried to keep Qatar in the public eye, there’s been so much shit going on in and out of football that it gets forgotten. However I take your point, i think there is something to be said for the FA being behind England players taking the knee but quietly says nothing about this tournament.
    Very western centric behaviour, it’s easy to take a stance on the easy issues

The other thing that doesn’t get talked about is that it’s going to be an organisational shit show, if you look at the Brazil and Russia World Cup which had their own problems but at least logistically they made sense because of how vastly spread out the tournament is. Here you have at most a 40 mile distance between the stadiums…the country is half the size of Yorkshire and you’ve got potentially the entire population of Qatar in terms of number descending upon the country to watch the tournament, you think of the pressure that will put on Doha international airport in terms of security, there’s no where near enough Hotels and they’ve even had to requisition cruise liners to dock on the harbours to become make shift hotels, security in stadiums and outside stadiums is a total nightmare and they haven’t even passed a safety certificate for some of them.
    FIFA just don’t give a fuck that even if you look beyond human rights issues, this country just isn’t fit to host a tournament of this size.

The FCO should in my view in the strongest possible terms urge supporters not to travel
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 11-11-2022 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only just seen the England squad - it's good that Ben White's in as well as Saka and Ramsdale

overall though there's a lot of crap in there and i don't see us getting very far

as for the thing itself, like others here i won't pay as much attention as i do usually, the whole thing stinks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty confident we'll get to the quarters. After that...well, it's only 3 games but we'll be playing proper sides then and you can't help feel we will come unstuck.
    Last year broke me, if we can't win a home final then I don't think we'll ever win one
    It isn't coming home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off to a promising start.

https://youtu.be/XERWe1uwhxI
    If you don’t send this signature to ten people, you will become a Spurs fan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who watches a single match is a liar to themselves. Or a person with so little integrity it might be said they have no integrity at all.
    Für eure Sicherheit