User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Have you missed football this summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters (TPFKA WWTL@WHL) View Post
    I'm not sure that's what being a glory hunter means. Unless you're 10 you don't go around swapping clubs but if you can only enjoy things when they're going well then...well, look forward to a lifetime of disappointment because the first half of Wenger's time with us was just about as good as it gets as a football fan. If you think dropping to the bottom of the top 4 rather than being at the top is so terrible then you've lost all sense of what supporting a real club with all the ups and downs is like.
    Great post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure that's what being a glory hunter means. Unless you're 10 you don't go around swapping clubs but if you can only enjoy things when they're going well then...well, look forward to a lifetime of disappointment because the first half of Wenger's time with us was just about as good as it gets as a football fan. If you think dropping to the bottom of the top 4 rather than being at the top is so terrible then you've lost all sense of what supporting a real club with all the ups and downs is like.
    I think the ups and downs have changed somewhat. It used to be sometimes the effort paid off and you won, sometimes the effort came up short and you lost, more wins than losses and you could shoot for a trophy. But there was always effort! Plus there was a continuity, there was a fair chance of being able to predict if the club was on the up or heading down because players would stick around, there was a familiarity to the team that you could grow with as a fan.

Now the players are cunts and the owners/ board members are blood sucking shit stains.

So it's different, today the fan is only required to kick in the money. When you listen to the players, managers and owners - a lot of the time it sounds as if they wish the fans would pay up front and then not bother to turn up. We're very much viewed as an inconvenient necessity rather than the heart and soul of the club. For me, there's not enough respect for the fans and that's bound to rub off. It's hard to be passionate about a bunch of giant sucking leeches.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I agree with all that but that's why football has become shit and is nothing to do with Arsenal specifically.
    I agree that the ups and downs were things you went through with the club and players in days of yore because the fans had a real connection with the club and the players.
    That connection has been lost as the fans are treated as customers who the club try to extract increasing amounts of money out of and the players are mercenaries from all over who will kiss the badge one week and piss off the next when someone waves a sufficiently large cheque at them.

But these are problems throughoug football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can take the not winning trophies. Not every team wins a trophy every year. Its the continuous BS that we get from Wenger and his merry bunch of muppets season after season with no sign of change that has taken the enjoyment out of the game for me. I don't care about any other club. The first 4 years of the 6 years, I was patient enough. Anyone on GW during 2006-2010 during that time would have noticed how optimistic I was and that the good times were around the corner and the Wenger cheap ass signings of average to shit players would be over.2 years on we are even worse and patience has run out. Wenger has no interest in sorting out the weaknesses in our club and is happy to take the money.One of the other things that have turned me off football is how these days teams play not to lose rather than play to win and the likes of Stoke, Blackburn etc are praised for the thug tactics.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have, I love watching football. Thankfully I love watching lots of other sports too though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I agree with all that but that's why football has become shit and is nothing to do with Arsenal specifically.
    I agree that the ups and downs were things you went through with the club and players in days of yore because the fans had a real connection with the club and the players.
    That connection has been lost as the fans are treated as customers who the club try to extract increasing amounts of money out of and the players are mercenaries from all over who will kiss the badge one week and piss off the next when someone waves a sufficiently large cheque at them.

But these are problems throughoug football.
    Mostly Wenger's fault though - you have to admit.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as the quality is good and teams try to attack football will always be entertaining to watch.

The Asian Cup and the Copa America (only Uruguay in the latter tbf) were brilliant this year.

The King Is Back.