User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tierney going to Newcastle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tierney going to Newcastle

Lots of reports about Tierney being sold to Newcastle for 30 million this summer

Now in of itself I don’t really care, Tierney hasn’t played well when he has played (looks asthmatic)

But the implication is that a player who has been head and shoulders our worst player this season (well in fairness it’s actually Lokonga but he’s not had much game time) is going to be a bulwark of our defence going forward.

I’m old fashioned, I believe a left back should a) be able to defend b) actually show some understanding of what a left back does.

If you want someone who has a free role put him in the no8 role

Not in a position where he has been more single handedly responsible for goals than any other player

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your preconceived notions of what a player should or shouldn't be really aren't relevant.

Zinchenko has been a fantastic signing and consistantly one of our best players.
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    Your preconceived notions of what a player should or shouldn't be really aren't relevant.

Zinchenko has been a fantastic signing and consistantly one of our best players.
    Fantastic at what?….in footballing terms…he’s like a speciality cask ale that hipsters don’t actually enjoy drinking but pretend they do because it’s kind of left field trendy

He’s not fantastic at defending so there’s that. So what is it he does?….don’t get me wrong he’s clearly technically very good but what does he actually do.

I mean aside from being left on his arse by wingers and being generally passive at dealing with crosses and attempted crosses. And of course giving the ball away in dangerous areas by over dwelling meaning he’s a liability to every team that does a high press

I love how the constant twitter narrative is how City must not believe they sold him to us, i think given his performance against city when they played at the emirates they know exactly why they fucking sold him to us.

Also consistently? He’s been consistently fucking terrible. He’s had two semi decent games since the World Cup at home to United and home to Everton.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d love it if Tierney stayed because I think it makes the squad stronger but if he wants regular football then I wouldn’t stand in the way of him leaving. He’s good enough to be starting at most clubs and we could get a premium from Newcastle too.

No idea if Tavares has matured or not but I wouldn’t be comfortable with him as the alternative.

With the exception of the young players and Xhaka, almost every player Arteta inherited has gone. He wants things done his way and with his players. So far it’s got us to the top of the league, so I’ll back him and the club with recruitment tbf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    So far it’s got us to the top of the league, so I’ll back him and the club with recruitment tbf.
    I never took that approach even with Wenger at his pomp, and I liked Wenger and trusted his judgement (well not towards the end)

Pascal Fucking Cygan Arsene? Come on. I remember when he bought that bald prick on when we were holding onto a 2-1 lead over Inter…I was apoplectic. Just as well we got that goal on the break and then Inter gave up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone has their share of duds tbh. As long as the team is collectively progressing and improving that’s the only indicator I need for recruitment.

Plus back then we didn’t have a pot to piss in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Everyone has their share of duds tbh. As long as the team is collectively progressing and improving that’s the only indicator I need for recruitment.

Plus back then we didn’t have a pot to piss in.
    It’s relative of course but it was somewhat overstated. In the summer before Islington council gave us the green light for the Ashburton Grove project we spent a fair bit (Jeffers, Wright, Van Bronckhorst - so quite a few duds there) and I can imagine Sol Campbell with signing on fee and wages didn’t come cheap either.

Plus four years prior to that Danny Fiszman essentially gave us the money out of his own pocket for Overmars and Petit. We clearly weren’t at United’s spending level but the poor club wasn’t ever quite accurate either.

The real squeeze on transfer spending ability didn’t really start until we moved into the Emirates, it was a little bit more Wenger being parsimonious (though two months after the Inter game I mentioned we signed the late Jose Reyes for a deal that was worth well over 15 million)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    It’s relative of course but it was somewhat overstated. In the summer before Islington council gave us the green light for the Ashburton Grove project we spent a fair bit (Jeffers, Wright, Van Bronckhorst - so quite a few duds there) and I can imagine Sol Campbell with signing on fee and wages didn’t come cheap either.

Plus four years prior to that Danny Fiszman essentially gave us the money out of his own pocket for Overmars and Petit. We clearly weren’t at United’s spending level but the poor club wasn’t ever quite accurate either.

The real squeeze on transfer spending ability didn’t really start until we moved into the Emirates, it was a little bit more Wenger being parsimonious (though two months after the Inter game I mentioned we signed the late Jose Reyes for a deal that was worth well over 15 million)
    2001 was an eyebrow raiser but I’m referencing more the year after when Cygan signed as you mentioned him, those couple years following were pretty lean and I guess that had to be done for the stadium and its funding etc. Reyes was the outlier but even that deal was structured in a way which meant paying in performance related chunks. I remember reading we wanted to sign Van Persie in that January with Reyes but straight up couldn’t afford him and he was only 3m! So had to wait until the summer. We leant heavily on Wenger’s ability to find bargains but when you’re operating that way you’re going to get a lot wrong too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Lots of reports about Tierney being sold to Newcastle for 30 million this summer

Now in of itself I don’t really care, Tierney hasn’t played well when he has played (looks asthmatic)

But the implication is that a player who has been head and shoulders our worst player this season (well in fairness it’s actually Lokonga but he’s not had much game time) is going to be a bulwark of our defence going forward.

I’m old fashioned, I believe a left back should a) be able to defend b) actually show some understanding of what a left back does.

If you want someone who has a free role put him in the no8 role

Not in a position where he has been more single handedly responsible for goals than any other player
    What you want from a left back and what Arteta wants are at completely different ends of the spectrum. I agree that a Left backs duty first and foremost is to defend and Zinchenko does get pulled out of position at times but that is by design, Arteta wants him inverting into Midfield.

I also don't agree that Zinchenko has been our worst player this season, he adds a heck of lot to this team and for me is clear first choice in that position, the positives of his performances and what he brings to the team far outweigh the negatives IMO.

P.S. I think we should be taking Newcastle to the cleaners with the Tierney fee assuming he goes, 30million? We should be demanding 40million mininum.
    Last edited by selassie; 06-03-2023 at 11:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    What you want from a left back and what Arteta wants are at completely different ends of the spectrum. I agree that a Left backs duty first and foremost is to defend and Zinchenko does get pulled out of position at times but that is by design, Arteta wants him inverting into Midfield.

I also don't agree that Zinchenko has been our worst player this season, he adds a heck of lot to this team and for me is clear first choice in that position, the positives of his performances and what he brings to the team far outweigh the negatives IMO.

P.S. I think we should be taking Newcastle to the cleaners with the Tierney fee assuming he goes, 30million? We should be demanding 40million mininum.
    He’s our worst player because we are effectively playing with three defenders at the back and what he gives us in midfield does not come close to compensating for it. If he wants to play him in midfield do so and drop Xhaka instead.

Plus even in midfield he gives the ball away far too much because he is a ditherer and is too indecisive. That we are top of the league is despite him not because of him.

It’s not a coincidence that he started the three games we’ve lost this season and was by far the worst player on the pitch. This is an example of Arteta being Galaxy brained and when we play high pressing teams that won’t give us the time or space to indulge having a player like Zinchenko on the pitch, we will suffer for it