User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool vs Arsenal 9th April 2023 player rating and match summary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liverpool vs Arsenal 9th April 2023 player rating and match summary

Ramsdale - 9 - He gets a lot of criticism but despite our bright start the fact that we’ve come away with a point is down to him.

White - 5 - Is his best position centre back or full back, it makes you wonder when up against the big teams away from home

Holding - 4 - Actually played ok at first, dealt well with set pieces but as predicted couldn’t deal with pace and gave away a penalty

Gabriel - 6 Did his best but wasn’t helped much by those around him

Zinchenko - 3 - I say he’s not a full back but based on his cameo neither is Tierney, both wretched

Xhaka - 3 - Dawdling on the ball, cannot help himself responding to even the faintest of needling…we just need better. Sell him and bring in Tielemans on a free

Partey - 6 - Wasn’t terrible but I think all this he can play through the press stuff is a little over stated

Martinelli 8 - Last season it was clear Saka was our player of the season, now Martinelli is a contender along with Saka, Odegaard and Partey

Odegaard 6 - Wasn’t at his best

Saka - 7 - Great first half, just couldn’t get the service and seemed to be tired second half

Jesus - 7 - If we win the title we will need this guys goals.

Subs

Tierney 4 - Made to look like a mug by Salah

Trossard 6 - Hard working but not much opportunity to show anything

Kiwior 6 - Didn’t really see much contribution good or bad. Throwing him into a game like this seemed harsh

Well, there’s no question having a two goal lead and letting it slip is deeply disappointing. But sometimes I think we need to appreciate just what we are coming up against. Yes you can question the mentality of certain players (cough Xhaka) but is that any real surprise. Our midfield is not good enough, our defensive cover is arguably not good enough…but when I say not good enough it’s the standard being set by teams like the one we played today who have chewed us up and spat us out for fun in the past.

Man City are probably the best team in Europe pound for pound, that we’ve gone toe to toe with them for so long is objectively impressive. This idea that City have not had a great season by their standards is bollocks…they are still on course to finish 90+ points.

And so are we.

Winning the title was always going to be a white knuckle ride. And it’s not over yet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played so well for 40 mins but then sadly just lost all composure and control. We were dominated in the second half and it was quite disappointing to see us suffocated like that, without really looking like we could have scored a third. I think we settled for 1-2 too early and waited too long to make changes. We were very lucky to escape with a point and Ramsdale deserves all the credit for that.

It’s not a terrible result but because the margins are so fine it’s definitely titled towards City as it stands.

I can’t help but be defeatist now, as I have zero faith that we’ll avoid defeat at the Etihad. Praying for a miracle that they drop some unexpected points somewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Ramsdale - 9 - He gets a lot of criticism but despite our bright start the fact that we’ve come away with a point is down to him.

White - 5 - Is his best position centre back or full back, it makes you wonder when up against the big teams away from home

Holding - 4 - Actually played ok at first, dealt well with set pieces but as predicted couldn’t deal with pace and gave away a penalty

Gabriel - 6 Did his best but wasn’t helped much by those around him

Zinchenko - 3 - I say he’s not a full back but based on his cameo neither is Tierney, both wretched

Xhaka - 3 - Dawdling on the ball, cannot help himself responding to even the faintest of needling…we just need better. Sell him and bring in Tielemans on a free

Partey - 6 - Wasn’t terrible but I think all this he can play through the press stuff is a little over stated

Martinelli 8 - Last season it was clear Saka was our player of the season, now Martinelli is a contender along with Saka, Odegaard and Partey

Odegaard 6 - Wasn’t at his best

Saka - 7 - Great first half, just couldn’t get the service and seemed to be tired second half

Jesus - 7 - If we win the title we will need this guys goals.

Subs

Tierney 4 - Made to look like a mug by Salah

Trossard 6 - Hard working but not much opportunity to show anything

Kiwior 6 - Didn’t really see much contribution good or bad. Throwing him into a game like this seemed harsh

Well, there’s no question having a two goal lead and letting it slip is deeply disappointing. But sometimes I think we need to appreciate just what we are coming up against. Yes you can question the mentality of certain players (cough Xhaka) but is that any real surprise. Our midfield is not good enough, our defensive cover is arguably not good enough…but when I say not good enough it’s the standard being set by teams like the one we played today who have chewed us up and spat us out for fun in the past.

Man City are probably the best team in Europe pound for pound, that we’ve gone toe to toe with them for so long is objectively impressive. This idea that City have not had a great season by their standards is bollocks…they are still on course to finish 90+ points.

And so are we.

Winning the title was always going to be a white knuckle ride. And it’s not over yet
    Now you've got me doing a Mac on you... did you actually watch the game, because how you can give Partey a 6 is just plain old bizarre?!

He and Martinelli were the only players who weren't over awed for the whole 90 mins and he was easily the most composed player on the pitch.

Only Ramsdale should outscore him but thankfully you got that right .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    Played so well for 40 mins but then sadly just lost all composure and control. We were dominated in the second half and it was quite disappointing to see us suffocated like that, without really looking like we could have scored a third. I think we settled for 1-2 too early and waited too long to make changes. We were very lucky to escape with a point and Ramsdale deserves all the credit for that.

It’s not a terrible result but because the margins are so fine it’s definitely titled towards City as it stands.

I can’t help but be defeatist now, as I have zero faith that we’ll avoid defeat at the Etihad. Praying for a miracle that they drop some unexpected points somewhere.

I felt that City were favourites for the title from when they beat us at home

But the main problem we have is that the bar gets set so high for winning the title that it becomes almost impossible against a side that just doesn’t drop points. The context is that city have won four out of the last five league titles

Only one of those times have they done so getting fewer than 90 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Now you've got me doing a Mac on you... did you actually watch the game, because how you can give Partey a 6 is just plain old bizarre?!

He and Martinelli were the only players who weren't over awed for the whole 90 mins and he was easily the most composed player on the pitch.

I thought he got muscled off the ball too easily at times…but perhaps you’re right…it’s possible that I expect so much from him that if he doesn’t deliver the ridiculous standards he usually does it feels like he hasn’t been great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    I felt that City were favourites for the title from when they beat us at home

But the main problem we have is that the bar gets set so high for winning the title that it becomes almost impossible against a side that just doesn’t drop points. The context is that city have won four out of the last five league titles

Only one of those times have they done so getting fewer than 90 points
    The fact Liverpool missed out against this team with 92 and 97 points says it all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today was kind of a point gained considering the swing in the game, Liverpool had us on ropes for pretty much the entire second half. I was disappointed with us today, I felt we crumbled under the pressure and if it wasn't for Ramsdale, we would have got soundly beaten today. We started the game really well and were in control for around 40 minutes but then we just crumbled.

I personally think City are favourites for the title for the simple reason that I don't think we will get anything from the game at the Etihad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post

Also Gabriel was very good, given he has to do the job of one and a half players, a 7.5 at least

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, I think this was the poorest I have seen Saka in ages.

He was utterly useless in the first half, but what got to me most was his lack of tracking back and helping out White who died and became a ghost after his yellow card.

Yes he picked up his game in the 2nd half but I was really disappointed with the way he approached this game in its entirety...thank God for the 2 Gabriels who gave it their all!

And as for Captain Marvel (Odegaard), no surprise, he did the usual and disappeared when things became difficult. In the summer we need to improve on him or get him some real competition. The Tottenham game remains the only top game I can think of in which he stood up to be counted. Hell I enjoyed watching Xhaka on the pitch today more than him.......ok maybe I'm stretching it a bit!
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 09-04-2023 at 07:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Also Gabriel was very good, given he has to do the job of one and a half players, a 7.5 at least
    As I have repeatedly said to you, feel free to do your own player ratings