User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Match reaction v Saints 3-3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think title winners of the past have often come close before breaking through the glass ceiling. This experience should toughen them up a bit you hope for next year.
    Agreed. But, City aren’t going away. The only time they failed to win it over the last 5 - let’s face it, 6 - was when Liverpool went absolutely mental and all but won it by February. They won 26 out of their first 27 games, drawing the other. It was insane. That’s what it’s taken to get the better of City and as well as we’ve done this year I can’t see us doing what Liverpool did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
    What the fuck was that?
    0-2 after twenty minutes. Will we ever learn?
    We have literally thrown away the league in less than two weeks.
    No flowering this one up.
    The title was lost on 15th Feb. That initiated what will be a 12 point swing against city. You can't give a team like city that kind of advantage and hope to finish above them. Even a draw in that game would have made a huge difference. Then you go for a draw in the return leg and you've nullified your biggest rival and levelled the playing field. Then you have a shot.

City have a 30 goal man up top. Arsenal used to have that. City have a warrior directing the traffic in midfield, Arsenal used to have that. Now they have 9 goal Jesus (who never would have hit 30 even without the injury) and the ludicrous non-entity Partey. Kids like Saka and Martinelli are coming through and they'll develop into players that can win a title. But it's too early for them yet and they need proper support in key areas.

Give is 2 more seasons of improvement and experience and then a title is a possibility. For the first time in decades it's finally heading in the right direction.
    Für eure Sicherheit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unusually, I pretty much agree with all of that.
    That City game was a big red flag. You don’t lose at home to your rivals and win the title.
    But our response to that was very good just when it looked like it might all fall apart.
    You can’t argue with 7 wins in a row. Trouble is City just kept winning too because that’s what they do. The recent wobble has been very disappointing, we’ve handed the title to them on a plate.
    But I think they’d have won it anyway. They were a machine anyway and then they got Haaland.
    Struggling to see past them for the treble

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man City have Brighton and Brentford away back to back.

They're the only ones I have any hope for really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is we’ve had our “kind” fixtures now. The next few games are all ones that we earmarked as banana skins. With confidence in the gutter we’ll need something very special to pick ourselves up now.

Even if City drop points somewhere you can’t be sure that we’ll capitalise.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn’t that happen earlier in the season when we had The Wobble?™.
    We dropped silly points then beat Utd and Spurs which were harder fixtures.
    I just hope we pick ourselves up and make City work for the title.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Happy St Totteringham’s Day!

No?

Hadn't occurred to me, no-one even mentioned that in the pub last night, in a way it's good, we've got bigger fish to fry than finishing above a team of perpetual losers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really needed to show our credentials yesterday but messed it all up early on

That said the title was gone when we drew with Liverpool and, importantly, the way we drew that hame - I was actually starting to believe during that first half but then it was gone when we let them back into it, we were always gping to lose at Citeh so at that point the advantage was theirs

As MO says we've got tough teams coming up and we're looking very shaky even if we did show some good spirit to fight back yesterday

This could all be rather ugly unless Arteta takes control of it and gives some players like Nelson and Trossard more of a chance, also Tierney
    Last edited by Mac76; 22-04-2023 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Hadn't occurred to me, no-one even mentioned that in the pub last night, in a way it's good, we've got bigger fish to fry than finishing above a team of perpetual losers
    True still first time we’ve done so in 7 years.

But yeah can’t say I’m surprised no one in the pub mentioned it given we expected to win comfortably

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Player Ratings

Ramsdale 4
    White 6
    Holding 3
    Gabriel 5
    Zinchenko 2
    Partey 5
    Vieira 3
    Odegaard 7
    Martinelli 6
    Saka 6
    Jesus 5

Subs

Trossard 7
    Nelson 7
    Nketiah 3
    ofc the joke is these aren't far off what you give them when we win 4-1

I'm bored of Holding being a scapegoat, it's not him alone and tbh what you're really doing is punishing him for not being Saliba who is an exceptional talent

Also Vieira was a 5, he did contribute some good balls forward but IK he doesn't shore up the midfield like Xhaka does - tbh he feels like a luxery player and I'm not sure we can really accomodate him

Zin made at least one major fuck up nd was partly culpable for their third goal but elsewhere was useful - 4

Partey was a 3 not a 5 - dreadful and we need to play Jorginho next time and just tell him to stay in front of the defence

agree with the markings for the subs though, Nelson and Trossard threatened but Nketiah was completely anonymous and has basically reverted to type - we need to sell him in the summer and have Balogun as our backup striker