User Tag List

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man City vs Arsenal 26.04.2023 Match reaction and player ratings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing reading some of the posts on here and other places.

Partey is taking plenty of criticism, and rightly so, as he's been below his usual standard for a while but not one person has mentioned the complete disappearance of Xhaka.

He touched the ball twice, I think in the first half. I've had a wee look for actual stats on this but no joy. I'm happy to be corrected but won't be far off. For a CM that is unforgivable. His first, and literally only meaningful, touch came on the 47th minute with a poor shot. The next time he was involved was an altercation with Haaland. He was then taken off.

I'm all for attributing responsibility (blame) to players like Partey but where's the balance here? I've highlighted the nonsensical standards players are held to on here before but I genuinely think Xhaka's performance last night was the worst I've ever seen from him. And, as we all know, that's a huge claim about someone who has been putting in woeful performances for the best part of a decade.

Partey was exposed badly last night. Let's call it out. But we need to also call out the mitigating circumstances. He was a lone midfielder against a team with 4 CMs, ffs.
    Last edited by mandela8; 27-04-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ramsdale should've saved the first goal anaw. That was just poor keeping from him. He's been terrible lately, despite a couple of decent saves that you'd expect any decent keeper to make.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesus has been absolutely shite anaw. He seems to be everywhere except where a striker should be. I've thought since we signed him that he thinks he a little bigger than the club, tbh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of us accept Xhaka is a bum who needs upgrading on.

Players like Partey get singled out because they’re our go-to guys. He’s been one of the key factors in why we’ve been at the top of the league, if we were going to get over the line he was one guy we needed to be at the top of his game.

The only players who’ve been worth a dime recently are Martinelli and Ramsdale, minus that pathetic error against Southampton. We’ve conceded 11 goals in 4 games and it could have been so much worse without his saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben White was absolutely appalling, again. One great block doesn't detract from giving the ball away at least 5 or 6 times (something he has a real problem with) and being beaten countless times by Grealish... who'll beat most people most times, in fairness, but it was all a little too easy against White. He seems to have a certain Saka like immunity from criticism among arsenal fans, pundits and press though. He's a terrible player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    I think most of us accept Xhaka is a bum who needs upgrading on.

Players like Partey get singled out because they’re our go-to guys. He’s been one of the key factors in why we’ve been at the top of the league, if we were going to get over the line he was one guy we needed to be at the top of his game.

The only players who’ve been worth a dime recently are Martinelli and Ramsdale, minus that pathetic error against Southampton. We’ve conceded 11 goals in 4 games and it could have been so much worse without his saves.
    I've no real issue with that but surely people recognize that a huge factor in Partey's performance was that he was completely over run due to his partner going AWOL. Xhaka done nothing defensively, no tracking, tackling or positioning and when we had the ball literally hid, reducing the options to further up the field, which is very difficult against Man City.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    Ramsdale should've saved the first goal anaw.
    Aye. I thought that tbf.
    It was well placed but I think he should have saved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing reading some of the posts on here and other places.

Partey is taking plenty of criticism, and rightly so, as he's been below his usual standard for a while but not one person has mentioned the complete disappearance of Xhaka.

He touched the ball twice, I think in the first half. I've had a wee look for actual stats on this but no joy. I'm happy to be corrected but won't be far off. For a CM that is unforgivable. His first, and literally only meaningful, touch came on the 47th minute with a poor shot. The next time he was involved was an altercation with Haaland. He was then taken off.

I'm all for attributing responsibility (blame) to players like Partey but where's the balance here? I've highlighted the nonsensical standards players are held to on here before but I genuinely think Xhaka's performance last night was the worst I've ever seen from him. And, as we all know, that's a huge claim about someone who has been putting in woeful performances for the best part of a decade.

Partey was exposed badly last night. Let's call it out. But we need to also call out the mitigating circumstances. He was a lone midfielder against a team with 4 CMs, ffs.
    At the risk of replying to you in a civil way. Isn’t this more a case of expectation?

Partey has set some high standards for himself this season and if he falls below them he gets criticised. Many of us myself included have been outspoken critics of Xhaka for as long as the fucker has been at the club. His lack of positional discipline, his unwillingness to track back most times, his dawdling, his stupid blind passing, his giving the ball away in dangerous areas. No one is in the least bit surprised when he does it. By his shoddy standards he’s had a good season because he’s been played in a more advanced role and therefore is less required to roll his sleeves up.

But that he was shit last night? Can barely raise my eyebrows to that fact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben White was absolutely appalling, again. One great block doesn't detract from giving the ball away at least 5 or 6 times (something he has a real problem with) and being beaten countless times by Grealish... who'll beat most people most times, in fairness, but it was all a little too easy against White. He seems to have a certain Saka like immunity from criticism among arsenal fans, pundits and press though. He's a terrible player.

Really he’s not a right back, he’s done ok in that role but it’s not his natural position but because Captain Black doesn’t get the art of shuffling the pack his three best centre backs have to play each week but one in a role unfamiliar to him

White I think on the whole has had a good season but I don’t think he’s been beyond criticism. He was made to look silly by Grealish and he was made to look silly against Rashford earlier in the season.

Not a terrible player at all, he’s clearly the most comfortable on the ball of all our defenders. But yeah he was shit last night but who wasn’t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think with the league now over and second place pretty secure players like Kiwior, Viera, ESR and Nelson should see extended playing time/starts.

I love Holding but we all know his limitations. I think Kiwior is more Gabriel cover but I don't buy this left/right side CB nonsense. Just let the guy play somewhere.

Viera has been a huge disappointment and the only mitigation (excuse) left is he hasn't had a run of games which these technical players tend to need to find their rhythm.

ESR just needs to play.

Nelson has surprised me and looks really good every time I see him. He's everything Saka is not. Direct, getting to the line and looks to cross or shoot most of his possessions.

I'd love to see more of Tierney, obviously, but not if he's being asked to invert. Just not his game.