Page 11 of 124 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Shit and Everything Else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Slang of any kind is an unsophisticated way of communicating

I know that our modern society teaches us that we need to embrace all differences, but some things are naturally inferior.

Apart from anything else the silly people who speak in gushing terms about diversity, are the people unwittingly promoting cultures that are rigidly socially conservative, hyper masculine, racist, homophobic and misogynistic.

Which is supposed to be the kind of things they are against….which speaks to the quixotic nature of their beliefs

It’s not to say people who talk in dialects are less intelligent, but they are choosing to communicate in a less sophisticated way…which speaks volumes to the contradictory creatures human beings are I suppose
    Everybody speaks in a dialect.

Speaking without a dialect is like typing without a font. The only difference is different dialects have different amounts of prestige. In the UK, the prestige dialect is RP. It's perceived as posher, more refined, more sophisticated and its speakers are thought to be more intelligent etc.

This isn't because of anything inherent to the dialect itself, it's because of history. That way of speaking is how the people with the most power spoke back in the day (again, massively oversimplifying). If those people had been based in northeastern England, then Geordie would've become the prestige dialect.

There's no scientific basis for calling any way of speaking superior or inferior to any other, any more than there's a basis for calling one species of animal superior or inferior. Don't believe me, have a look at the situation in Switzerland, more specifically the German speaking part.

There, everybody's native language is their local dialect. That's what they speak to their parents, friends, bank tellers, shopkeepers, barbers etc. It's what they speak in professional environments, job interviews, sales pitches, business meetings.

But in school, they're taught to speak Standard German. That's what they write down, it's what their newspapers, websites and governmental communications are written in. This means all German-speaking Swiss people essentially grow up bilingual in their local dialect and Standard German

Does this mean Standard German is inherently superior? Say that to a Swiss person and you'll be swallowing your own teeth

No, they just use it to communicate with Germans and Austrians, to whom their dialects are incomprehensible. But they're not incomprehensible inside Switzerland, their society gets on just fine by using them internally.
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that annoys me is when perfectly good words which have one meaning get used in a different way because it's trendy - words like 'random' 'sick' etc - that gets on my nerves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's giving boomer
    NOTE: The location of this post has been moved and the thread title (which was previously Wenger is Leaving) has been manipulated by a notorious pro-Wenger moderator. What was previously a message that contained no profanity and made a comment on a real life event has now been manipulated by a deliberately provocative title. An old and crude propaganda and censorship technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    The only thing that annoys me is when perfectly good words which have one meaning get used in a different way because it's trendy - words like 'random' 'sick' etc - that gets on my nerves
    Wait til you hear about the word 'nice'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GP View Post
    It's giving boomer
    Sehr gut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    Everybody speaks in a dialect.

Speaking without a dialect is like typing without a font. The only difference is different dialects have different amounts of prestige. In the UK, the prestige dialect is RP. It's perceived as posher, more refined, more sophisticated and its speakers are thought to be more intelligent etc.

This isn't because of anything inherent to the dialect itself, it's because of history. That way of speaking is how the people with the most power spoke back in the day (again, massively oversimplifying). If those people had been based in northeastern England, then Geordie would've become the prestige dialect.

There's no scientific basis for calling any way of speaking superior or inferior to any other, any more than there's a basis for calling one species of animal superior or inferior. Don't believe me, have a look at the situation in Switzerland, more specifically the German speaking part.

There, everybody's native language is their local dialect. That's what they speak to their parents, friends, bank tellers, shopkeepers, barbers etc. It's what they speak in professional environments, job interviews, sales pitches, business meetings.

But in school, they're taught to speak Standard German. That's what they write down, it's what their newspapers, websites and governmental communications are written in. This means all German-speaking Swiss people essentially grow up bilingual in their local dialect and Standard German

Does this mean Standard German is inherently superior? Say that to a Swiss person and you'll be swallowing your own teeth

No, they just use it to communicate with Germans and Austrians, to whom their dialects are incomprehensible. But they're not incomprehensible inside Switzerland, their society gets on just fine by using them internally.

Received Pronunciation is the standard because it doesn’t yield to casual use of language or vowel mergers.

Plus to take your point even in the most remote tribes in the world there is a high and a low way of speaking. The type of Mongrel dialect being employed that we have been speaking about has no high way of speaking, it is often crude and vulgar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh dear, it really shouldn’t be that easy to bait you. Something you need to work on perhaps

17,000 posts on this shithouse, thousands more on the old site, and you reckon you baited? Fuck off pal
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LDG View Post

17,000 posts on this shithouse, thousands more on the old site, and you reckon you baited? Fuck off pal
    I don’t reckon anything. I’m simply observing what is fact.

You interceded on a grown up conversation to make a silly remark and tried to dress it up as profound, you didn’t like when it was turned round on you.

So you retreated back to the kiddy’s table

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Received Pronunciation is the standard because it doesn’t yield to casual use of language or vowel mergers
    I genuinely don't know what that sentence means.

Plus to take your point even in the most remote tribes in the world there is a high and a low way of speaking. The type of Mongrel dialect being employed that we have been speaking about has no high way of speaking, it is often crude and vulgar.
    You don't think it's possible to be crude and vulgar in RP, or to be respectful/poetic/sophisticated in MLE? How are you defining high and low, more to the point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMUG View Post
    I genuinely don't know what that sentence means.

You don't think it's possible to be crude and vulgar in RP, or to be respectful/poetic/sophisticated in MLE? How are you defining high and low, more to the point?

Unadorned low speaking is a way of communicating simple messages and simple thoughts and feelings, there’s little that’s poetic about it

It curtails the ability to express depth of thought, analysis and understanding

And yes dialects that are base lack any real depth

It may be part of the natural human tendency towards hierarchy but for example there is a mode of speaking in Japan used only by the Emperor which is extremely formal this would be an example of a high way of speaking