User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2023/2024 Season prediction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing anyone does this summer will usurp City as favourites, but the way we’re moving suggests our goal is to win the league and I hope the experience of last season has taught them some valuable lessons and left them battle hardened.

I think we’ve got to have a proper tilt at least one of the cups because if we’re going to be seen as a destination club then silverware will be required and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be capable of winning either cup.

A CL quarter final is also what I want to see because we haven’t competed in one since 2010. So that would be something reasonable to aim for. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re exposed for making up the numbers again given our weak European pedigree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going with the list of 22-23 predictions (subbing EL for CL), mine are:

League Position: 4th
    Champions League: pretty early exit I suspect
    FA Cup: 5th round
    League Cup: 3rd round
    Mind the gap?: Yes
    Our top scorer: That new striker we're hopefully signing
    Most assists: Saka
    Breakthrough player: Balogun if we keep him (though I realise Arteta is hell bent on selling him)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Going with the list of 22-23 predictions (subbing EL for CL), mine are:

League Position: 4th
    Champions League: pretty early exit I suspect
    FA Cup: 5th round
    League Cup: 3rd round
    Mind the gap?: Yes
    Our top scorer: That new striker we're hopefully signing
    Most assists: Saka
    Breakthrough player: Balogun if we keep him (though I realise Arteta is hell bent on selling him)
    I pretty much see it the same way. By Xmas we will have given up all hopes of winning the league. Guaranteed
    Make 2mrw better than 2day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Globalgunner View Post
    I pretty much see it the same way. By Xmas we will have given up all hopes of winning the league. Guaranteed
    Better than making us think we could win it then fucking it up in April. 🔔 Ends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first draft of a league table prediction which isn’t all that different from last season. Actually buy a striker and I might even be inclined to predict we finish first. Few changes from my prediction where i opened the thread, I don’t think Liverpool will get top four, I think Everton rather than Wolves will be relegated

1st Manchester City

2nd Arsenal

3rd Manchester United

4th Newcastle

5th Liverpool

6th Aston Villa

7th Chelsea

8th Brighton

9th Tottenham

10th Fulham

11th Burnley

12th West Ham

13th Crystal Palace

14th Brentford

15th Wolves

16th Nottingham Forest

17th Sheffield United

18th Everton

19th Luton

20th Bournemouth
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 31-07-2023 at 08:18 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think our final place is very difficult to call although it won't be first, Citeh will win the league

it's only because Moan U are still a bit shaky and Liverpool need to improve so sharply that I think second is even possible, but I wouldn't rule out us having to fight a bit even for top four

I think your teams from 10th - 14th will be very difficult to call in terms of what order but broadly you're probably right, although if Fulham lose Mitro they could be much nearer the bottom

I don't get your Bournemouth prediction, they are half decent in reality

Luton will be rock bottom
    Last edited by Mac76; 31-07-2023 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think City could be a little vulnerable this year. They’ve lost a few important players and you’ve got to think that after winning a treble there could be a drop off because it can’t really get that much better. No one has ever won it 4 times in a row too.

Saying that, they’re still going to be ridiculously strong and anyone who finishes above them will certainly win the league.

This is definitely the most intrigued I’ve felt heading into a season for a while. I’d like to think we’re on the cusp of doing something special but we’ll find out soon enough.

I want to see more composure this year, killing games dead. None of these wild matches that we go life and death in. That’s almost certain to end in tears eventually.
    Last edited by Marc Overmars; 31-07-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think our final place is very difficult to call although it won't be first, Citeh will win the league

it's only because Moan U are still a bit shaky and Liverpool need to improve so sharply that I think second is even possible, but I wouldn't rule out us having to fight a bit even for top four

I think your teams from 10th - 14th will be very difficult to call in terms of what order but broadly you're probably right, although if Fulham lose Mitro they could be much nearer the bottom

I don't get your Bournemouth prediction, they are half decent in reality

Luton will be rock bottom

Statistically when you have a team that far exceeds its XG as Bournemouth has done, it’s an achievement but it’s also a red flag. Bournemouth are a championship team when you look at their squad, and overachieved by staying in the premier league last time.

I happen to like them as a club, but without significant reinforcement you’re asking too much of them I feel.

As depressing as it is, it comes down to spending power and the three clubs I’ve selected for relegation are teams with the least spending power.

Arsenal given what we’ve spent and the value of our squad should really be winning the title let alone challenging for it, we aren’t helping ourselves with the lack of a consistent goalscorer but City are going to be weaker than last season having sold off Gundogan and Mahrez…it’s a squad that isn’t that young…who’s best midfielder is 32 and getting injured more.

The downside is having Arteta who can’t seem to make the right purchases in the transfer window. A lot of money spent on positions where we don’t really need strengthening when the key area other than central midfield was up front (rather than buying a burnt out attacker and shoe horning him into midfield). You get uptight that I scoff about your suggestion that Arteta is lacking in confidence, but silly exchanges aside that’s an example of being ridiculously overconfident…this is someone who thinks he is smarter than he actually is.

I think we have enough depth that as long as Arteta doesn’t insist on using the same players every game that Champions League football won’t have any more bearing on our final league position than the Europa league did.

The fact that we keep being linked with a right sided attacker suggests even he acknowledges that Saka needs competition. Though for me the sensible thing would be to move Jesus there and potentially bring in a Ferran Torres up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    You get uptight that I scoff about your suggestion that Arteta is lacking in confidence, but silly exchanges aside that’s an example of being ridiculously overconfident…this is someone who thinks he is smarter than he actually is.
    someone can lack the self-esteem to control others via diplomacy and giving them a little rope, but still underneath it all believe they are the smartest guy in the room - the two things aren't mutually exclusive

and regarding "I think we have enough depth that as long as Arteta doesn’t insist on using the same players every game" I'll believe it when i see it

I actually think it could be one of two extremes, either he changes nothing or, with more 'quality' players, he maybe goes the other way and starts constantly chopping and changing to 'outsmart' the opposition manager and ends up creating one big mess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    someone can lack the self-esteem to control others via diplomacy and giving them a little rope, but still underneath it all believe they are the smartest guy in the room - the two things aren't mutually exclusive

and regarding "I think we have enough depth that as long as Arteta doesn’t insist on using the same players every game" I'll believe it when i see it

I actually think it could be one of two extremes, either he changes nothing or, with more 'quality' players, he maybe goes the other way and starts constantly chopping and changing to 'outsmart' the opposition manager and ends up creating one big mess
    No they are mutually exclusive, if the reason for his lack of diplomacy was lack of self esteem he would not have the self esteem to make the decisions he has, and certainly wouldn’t be so bullish about it either. You’d be too worried about being mocked and ridiculed, that’s how self esteem works…you’re constantly worried about what people think about you. Arteta does not care what people think about him.
    People who lack self esteem often look for constant reassurance and validation from others and apart from your let’s be fair nothing burger that Xhaka existed to boost his ego there’s just nothing that suggests he seeks validation/reassurance. I’ve previously suggested he could be narcissistic but I think that was wide of the mark, because for instance I think he would have become defensive over comments around his touchline antics and he’s largely indifferent.
    I wouldn’t go as far as to call him Schizoid, but there is a definite lack of interest in forming relationships with people.