User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal 1-1 Citeh (4-1 Penalties) player ratings and match reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arsenal 1-1 Citeh (4-1 Penalties) player ratings and match reaction

Ramsdale 7.5 - If being hyper critical was being a little bit too casual with the ball at his feet first half, but his instinctive positioning and saves kept us in the game. Rodri’s penalty wasn’t great, but you still have to save them and he did.

White 7 - Started well but faded a bit, and was pressed off the ball too easily

Saliba 7.5 - Showed some of his best today, where as previously not looked fully fit

Gabriel 7 - Solid as per usual

Timber 8 - Like Saliba has a lot of defensive maturity for a player so young, would like him to maybe get forward more but he’s a defender first and foremost and he’s good at that

Rice 7 - Grew into the game, not sure the understanding with Partey or Odegaard is quite there yet but he rolls his sleeves up

Partey 7.5 - Still makes the odd careless pass but he’s shown in pre-season that he’s still important to us

Odegaard 6.5 - Rather low key, still trying the thread the ball through the eye of the needle when he might be better driving forward

Martinelli 6 - Looks a bit half cooked at the moment

Saka 6.5 - Not quite at his best, but still got forward ok. Wenger was right though, he needs to work on using his right foot more

Havertz 7 - I actually think neither of his chances were sitters. The ball was behind him for the first one so he had to get himself set before shooting, maybe could have done with more power with the second but he put himself about today

Subs:

Trossard 7 - when you’re in need of a goal, you’ll take a pinball deflection

Tierney 6 - could argue that he could have done better to prevent the ball coming back to Palmer but just came on.

Vieira 6.5 - Can’t say I noticed him that much, super penalty though absolutely smashed into the roof of the net

Nketiah 5 - I didn’t know he’d come on

Smith-Rowe 5 - Same as Nketiah

So wasn’t the best performance in the world, certainly not from an attacking perspective but the effort and the will to not be beaten was there. I think defensively we put in a good shift. I just think the link between defence and attack isn’t quite there especially with Rice and Partey in central midfield (even though objectively they are our best options)

Feels to me that a few players need to play themselves into form (Martinelli especially, but Odegaard and possibly Kai Havertz too). The effort can’t be faulted but the end product isn’t quite there. And that’s a little concerning given there are no easy games in the premier league and I don’t expect forest or palace to be an exception to that.

I think if we are going to challenge we are going to have to grind some results out until the confidence comes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general I agree with your ratings today.

I think if we start the same team we started today against Forest, and wait till late to make subs, we'll get a 0-0 draw.

In fact part of me is seriously considering putting some money on that scoreline as Arteta is unlikely to change a "winning" team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    In general I agree with your ratings today.

I think if we start the same team we started today against Forest, and wait till late to make subs, we'll get a 0-0 draw.

In fact part of me is seriously considering putting some money on that scoreline as Arteta is unlikely to change a "winning" team.
    1-1 would be a better scoreline to put money on, we don’t get many 0-0 draws and we don’t get many clean sheets at home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Nketiah 5 - I didn’t know he’d come on

Smith-Rowe 5 - Same as Nketiah
    The two of them are a complete waste of space IMO and we'll regret not selling them both this summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    The two of them are a complete waste of space IMO and we'll regret not selling them both this summer
    Smith Rowe could potentially play in the no8 role. I think the downside of Rice and Partey together is that it stifles our attacking options (good option to have when playing the big sides though). Would sooner get rid of Vieira

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smith Rowe could potentially play in the no8 role. I think the downside of Rice and Partey together is that it stifles our attacking options (good option to have when playing the big sides though). Would sooner get rid of Vieira
    I think we need to accept ESR's not up to it and sell while people think he's worth buying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I think we need to accept ESR's not up to it and sell while people think he's worth buying
    If we sell him we would probably need to sign someone else and I don’t really see the point of trying to integrate more players into the squad. I’d give him enough game time that either he does show his value of two years ago or is someone we can move on in January or next summer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree

Viera doesn't strike me as the kind of player that can make it playing for most sides in the EPL, Smith Rowe is a far more useful option for us IMO.

However, my preference would still be to buy a more direct and physical player, to give us another dimension. I've said his name a few times so no need to repeat it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we sell him we would probably need to sign someone else and I don’t really see the point of trying to integrate more players into the squad. I’d give him enough game time that either he does show his value of two years ago or is someone we can move on in January or next summer
    Why get a replacement for a player who contributes nothing?

And if we do for some bizarre reason want to, then i'll do it for much less than he gets paid - I can trundle around the pitch like an overweight chipmunk as well as the next man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    I agree

Viera doesn't strike me as the kind of player that can make it playing for most sides in the EPL, Smith Rowe is a far more useful option for us IMO.

However, my preference would still be to buy a more direct and physical player, to give us another dimension. I've said his name a few times so no need to repeat it

Have you? Kudus? I thought he was a winger. Also isn’t he going to Brighton