Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Arsenal 2-2 Fulham Player ratings and Match reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    So 3 games out of a 50 game season?
    After the first one or two he was saying that early season it’s all about the result and we needed to give it a bit of time. The first dropped points of the season and it’s this?
    Well you obviously pay more attention to what he says than I do, I was only going by the single post

Whilst I’ve been consistently wrong in picking results (be positive that I think we will lose to United next week) I’ve also been consistently downbeat about this season.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Well you obviously pay more attention to what he says than I do, I was only going by the single post

Whilst I’ve been consistently wrong in picking results (be positive that I think we will lose to United next week) I’ve also been consistently downbeat about this season.
    You are nothing if not consistent.
    I’m generally a glass half full kind of guy but I’m pissed off about yesterday. It’s a bit early to be writing the whole season off but the lack of a really clinical striker is a concern

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are nothing if not consistent.
    I’m generally a glass half full kind of guy but I’m pissed off about yesterday. It’s a bit early to be writing the whole season off but the lack of a really clinical striker is a concern
    The lack of a clinical striker is a concern in terms of a sustained title challenge

The big concern is how we have an expensive and competent squad that is being played out of position, not being utilised to the best of its abilities and in many cases not being played at all

Even though his finishing is wayward I tend to agree with some people here that Edward has been one of the few positives this season because of his work rate and the way he makes himself available, he could possibly benefit from having a second striker to play with, but I think that second striker would be Kai Havertz who plays in the hole and changes position.

I’m not happy with the summer transfers, I’m not happy that we’ve left ourselves without proper fullbacks despite buying so many bloody defenders but I do think there’s a way to properly utilise every player in this squad if Captain Black wasn’t so bloody stubborn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    First three games of this season?
    I have to agree. We pubbed two wins against two pub teams and a draw with a semi-pub team (maybe a cheap bistro). Arteta seems to be hell bent on playing players out of position.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t really care about pubbing wins. No team cruises through every game. City got a scare today before the grim inevitability of their winner. But I do agree with the concerns about playing players out of position. It seems like Artera is trying a new system this season and it’s not working right now. Maybe it will click, maybe not. But I would note that feelings change quickly in football. Was it 2 years ago we were rock bottom after 3 games, a start which spawned a thousand memes. Especially as Spurs started with 3 wins to go top. 3 games later we won the NLD to go above them.
    I’m not quite as willing to concede that this season is going to be a disaster yet, it’s too early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next 6 games involves United, Spurs, City and Chelsea. Also our annual defeat at Neverton to try and avoid too.

No real time to breathe here, this system needs to sort itself out ASAP or we will be fucked by November.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.
    But I’m interested what events lead you to declare yourself very very right.
    The consistency in the reasons for failure and dropped points. Nothing has changed during his tenure, in that regard. I only watch arsenal closely but I struggle to think of another manager who is so directly responsible for losing his team points and games.

His arrogance and inclination to thinking he's smarter than everyone else. I don't even mind him trying weird formations but playing people out of position a d not even playing a striker at home to Fulham is typical of him and he's done similar before and not learned from it.

The team just lacks a ruthlessness and this is instilled by Arteta. The outrageous favoritism shown so certain players who now know they're undroppable. There's just no hunger in some of them. We suffered from this in the '21 run in, when we just lacked attacking threat and the only player who consistently offered it, Pepe, couldn't get near the team.
    The negativity whenever we take the lead. Just subbing all attacking players for defensive ones. What kinda message does this send to the players? Liverpool was the classic one and yesterday is fresh but he's done this numerous times. Against ten men at home to a poor side and he's making defensive subs at 80 minutes with fuck knows how much injury time to play nowadays.

Could go on all day but you don't even watch the games so I dunno why I'm bothering. This is all obvious to everyone.
    Last edited by mandela8; 27-08-2023 at 05:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have kept quiet up until now but can anyone explain to me what Arteta is trying to do with this team? We look way flatter than last season and are playing as if we are getting to know each other again, I don't see the cohesion in the team that I saw last season.

I get that it takes time to bed new players in (Rice & Havertz), but what I don't get and don't like is the mass changes in positions to accomodate them. It has weakened the team. I know it's early days and these things take time, but if I was Arteta I would go back to basics and bed in some of the new players (Havertz) over time. All these mass changes to the team seem way too drastic to me and whilst we have played some nice stuff in short phases in all of the games so far, in the main we are struggling to control games and impose our style in games or at least our style of last season. This new approach seems like a 1 step forward with the signings and then 2 steps back with the team and tactics.
    Last edited by selassie; 27-08-2023 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post
    The consistency in the reasons for failure and dropped points. Nothing has changed during his tenure, in that regard. I only watch arsenal closely but I struggle to think of another manager who is so directly responsible for losing his team points and games.

His arrogance and inclination to thinking he's smarter than everyone else. I don't even mind him trying weird formations but playing people out of position a d not even playing a striker at home to Fulham is typical of him and he's done similar before and not learned from it.

The team just lacks a ruthlessness and this is instilled by Arteta. The outrageous favoritism shown so certain players who now know they're undroppable. There's just no hunger in some of them. We suffered from this in the '21 run in, when we just lacked attacking threat and the only player who consistently offered it, Pepe, couldn't get near the team.
    The negativity whenever we take the lead. Just subbing all attacking players for defensive ones. What kinda message does this send to the players? Liverpool was the classic one and yesterday is fresh but he's done this numerous times. Against ten men at home to a poor side and he's making defensive subs at 80 minutes with fuck knows how much injury time to play nowadays.
    This
    Last edited by Mac76; 27-08-2023 at 05:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandela8 View Post

Could go on all day but you don't even watch the games so I dunno why I'm bothering. This is all obvious to everyone.