User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Carabao Cup 2023/2024

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Amazing how people on here line up to defend a spuds manager with a face like a punchbag who constantly blames anyone but himself for serial failure (PSG doesn't count and spuds LOST the CL final in case people hadn't noticed)

Pathetic
    Sorry, dude, but you’re posting like a child. I find that a bit pathetic.
    Ok, you think he’s a smelly poo poo head. I don’t know if you think that because he was at Spurs (in which case come on, dude, grow up a bit). But either way, he took Spurs to the cusp of CL glory and made them credible title contenders. His failure to get them over the line on either count is a big mark against him, but I’m not defending him, just stating facts.
    I don’t particularly like the dude, but to deny he did a good job at Spurs is just bloody minded silliness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Sorry, dude, but you’re posting like a child. I find that a bit pathetic.
    Are you new here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wengerbabies View Post
    Are you new here?

@hcz His job at Spuds is overrated, he got lucky with a youngish squad which gelled and maybe he helped it along here and there but if he was that good why sack him after just a few seasons?

He reminds me of Mourinho, gets a decent season or two out of a team before it all goes sour and he starts moaning there isn't enough money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The job he did at Spurs is looking like an outlier at the moment but spending very little and getting them to the levels they reached was undeniably impressive.

I don’t think he’s done himself any favours since leaving Spurs though. Taking the PSG job and now Chelsea, 2 very poisoned chalices. He should have really found himself a club akin to Spurs where he could have worked without the unnecessary pressure of needing to win trophies literally every season, he’s not a chequebook coach but now he’s been judged like one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Overmars View Post
    The job he did at Spurs is looking like an outlier at the moment but spending very little and getting them to the levels they reached was undeniably impressive.

I don’t think he’s done himself any favours since leaving Spurs though. Taking the PSG job and now Chelsea, 2 very poisoned chalices. He should have really found himself a club akin to Spurs where he could have worked without the unnecessary pressure of needing to win trophies literally every season, he’s not a chequebook coach but now he’s been judged like one.
    There may be some truth in that, maybe he's more of an Emery than a Pep

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post

@hcz His job at Spuds is overrated, he got lucky with a youngish squad which gelled and maybe he helped it along here and there but if he was that good why sack him after just a few seasons?

He reminds me of Mourinho, gets a decent season or two out of a team before it all goes sour and he starts moaning there isn't enough money
    It’s all relative really isn’t it. Plenty of Spurs managers would have still found a way to fuck things up even with that squad….he probably got the best out of them. Does it make him a top coach? No but it does merit saying that he did a good job there.

The interesting thing about Mourinho is as much as what you’ve said is true, the irony is that he won the top prizes in football at two clubs where he had (and again I use this word) relatively far less money to spend than elsewhere. Porto was an immense achievement to win the champions league…yeah he got lucky that teams like Real Madrid and AC Milan choked, but there’s always an element of fortune with these things. Leicester got lucky that City, Chelsea etc had poor seasons and that as it turned out their two main title rivals were us and spurs.

Saying someone did a decent job at a club is not to say they are a top coach.

Plus things go sour at clubs. It’s very rare for most clubs that a coach chooses the time and manner of their departure like Klopp is.

Pochetinno is definitely more an Emery than a Pep. And I say that as someone who thinks that Guardiola is a bit overrated…I do think someone like Klopp would have achieved more than him over the same time with the same finances he had at Barca, Bayern and City.

That’s not the same as to say he’s underperformed (although arguably in terms of European success, he did at Bayern and it took him six years to make City European champions)

But my opinion is biased by the fact that I don’t like him. He comes across like a condescending prick when he talks about Arsenal.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 26-02-2024 at 05:32 PM.