User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arsenal V Spurs (2-2)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Newsflash....our clown of a manager is now talking about Toney, I can't even be bothered to watch it

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...aditional-no-9

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Just had a look. They were not good penalties.

EDIT: One of my football annoyances is when a penalty like that goes in and the commentator says what a great penalty it is. The goalkeeper going the wrong way and a weak penalty going in doesn't make it a good one

and one of mine is everyone using the term 'missed' penalty when the shot was on target - weak shot or not, the keeper still has to save it

Just found some highlights - the first pel was a weak attempt but you could argue the second was very similar to Saka's on Sunday - when they go in, everyone praises the player for being cheeky or whatever, but when they don't they look dumb

but both were at least on target

also even though the highlights were brief, I'd say I saw Balogun in dangerous positions in the box more times than Eddie was and I still think we should have kept him and sold Eddie

Eddie's thinking and physical pace just aren't quick enough to keep up with what our midfielders are trying to do - we weren't nearly at our best on Sunday but even then, there were several times when one of our players had the ball on one of the wings, but when I looked across at the Spuds box we had no-one coming in to provide a target for a cross - that's absolutely what Eddie should be doing

We need to buy Toney or someone else in January

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    I always feel it's unforgiveable to actually miss the target so yes, at least he didn't do that.
    They were both pretty weak penalties and very saveable, but on another day the 'keeper goes the wrong way, they both go in and it doesn't even get a mention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    and one of mine is everyone using the term 'missed' penalty when the shot was on target - weak shot or not, the keeper still has to save it

Just found some highlights - the first pel was a weak attempt but you could argue the second was very similar to Saka's on Sunday - when they go in, everyone praises the player for being cheeky or whatever, but when they don't they look dumb

also even though the highlights were brief, I'd say I saw Balogun in dangerous positions in the box more times than Eddie was and I still think we should have kept him and sold Eddie

Eddie's thinking and physical pace just aren't quick enough to keep up with what our midfielders are trying to do - we weren't nearly at our best on Sunday but even then, there were several times when one of our players had the ball on one of the wings, but when I looked across at the Spuds box we had no-one coming in to provide a target for a cross - that's absolutely what Eddie should be doing

We need to buy Toney or someone else in January

I can’t help but feel this opinion of yours is in no small way influenced by bitterness over being penalised whilst playing fantasy football

The terminology missed penalty does refer to any penalty kick that doesn’t end up in the back of the net. Whether you happen to think that’s harsh or not is kind of academic

Where we clearly differ is that for me the burden of responsibility is on the goal scorer. When you see penalty shootouts in major tournaments, and talking about holding their nerve and pressure they are always talking about the penalty taker rather than the goalkeeper.

Both were poor penalties, I’m sorry but they were. I don’t disagree with you at all about Edward’s poor positioning (I clearly remark about that in my player ratings)….but to this point I haven’t seen any evidence (so far at least) that leads me to believe that selling Balogun was a mistake. The mistake as I see it was not buying a striker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always feel it's unforgiveable to actually miss the target so yes, at least he didn't do that.
    They were both pretty weak penalties and very saveable, but on another day the 'keeper goes the wrong way, they both go in and it doesn't even get a mention.
    Utterly telegraphed, the keeper would have had to have walked away from the goal to take a phone call to not save them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I will say (and have already said) in Balogun’s defence is that it takes balls to step up and take a penalty when you’ve missed one already (or had it saved so as not to offend a certain individual’s sensibilities) and confidence is a key part of being a goalscorer. He could have hidden away but he didn’t and yeah from the highlights he made himself available. Why I find Nketiah’s last few games odd, because he clearly was getting himself in goal scoring positions before the Everton game but last two league games? Hiding it feels like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 21_GOONER_SALUTE View Post
    Newsflash....our clown of a manager is now talking about Toney, I can't even be bothered to watch it

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...aditional-no-9
    fascinating - really clever questionning by the journo - you know exactly what he's really asking about - i.e. whether Arteta's effectively left us short up front and will seek to rectify it in Janaury

Arteta knows it too - he has that face of pure anger when the guy starts off, but calms down a bit when he realises the guy isn't going to ask him outright if he'll seek to buy Toney, so he's able to dodge the question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I couldn’t see any anger there. Slightly quizzical at times, but ultimately what I took from it is, well yes you can see that teams are bringing back the traditional no9 role but there are many different ways of scoring goals. I mean if the reporter really wanted to take a jab at Arteta he would have challenged his assertion that we would have scored more goals if we took our chances, yet the issue is we simply aren’t creating enough chances…so the solution is then to change the system or get a goalscorer who is more efficient at converting the chances we do create.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Utterly telegraphed, the keeper would have had to have walked away from the goal to take a phone call to not save them
    Well, no. ‘Keeper dives early, as they often do, and goes the wrong way and in they go.
    But they were penalties and very saveable. A good penalty is basically impossible to save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no. ‘Keeper dives early, as they often do, and goes the wrong way and in they go.
    But they were penalties and very saveable. A good penalty is basically impossible to save.
    As I say telegraphed, keepers often dive early and go the wrong way because the penalty taker has sold them a dummy