User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arsenal vs City Player Ratings and Match Reactions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
    Found the match uncomfortable to watch, as I kept expecting the inevitable Citeh goal to dash our (mostly) excellent solidity at the back. Was in delerium when we actually scored, and stranegely felt quite calm after this, as City offered very little.

For once a game where we did not let ourselves down by gifting them a goal - although we came close.

In hindsight, Arteta's starting 11, tactics and subs spot on. To neuter Citeh like that - with or without Rodri and KDB is very impressive - and speaks to the evolution of Arteta's tactics and quality of our players. Amazing to be able to bring on subs of that quality!

Raya had a worrying first half. I will give him a pass because we won and he was clearly nervous playing probably the biggest game of his career? My main frustration is that we know he has now become one of those Arteta players who will get favourable treatment from the manaer while others don't.

Nice to see Havertz get an assist.

Let's now build on this achievement. A very nice feeling for players and fans to take into the Interlull!
    Completely agree with what you’ve said, there’s nothing quite like 12 defeats in a row to a side to give you zero confidence even when you whilst not in control seem to be nullifying the opposition.

And it’s only in hindsight you can look back and say, yeah Arteta got it right…he clearly had a game plan and it worked

I also agree with your remarks in regards to Raya, and definitely if Arteta has decided on him to be the number 1 you hope that his antics in the first half are an outlier rather than a sign of what’s to come. I was open minded to him even though I like Ramsdale, but I really haven’t seen any evidence of him being any better and I think Ramsdale can feel rightly aggrieved.

I remember years ago thinking it was harsh on Eboue when we bought Sagna, but it only took a few games to realise that he was a massive step up, but this not been the case with Raya.

And yes, this is exactly the kind of result you want going into the interlull. A result that makes you excited and impatient for more Arsenal games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Arteta got things right on the day yesterday including, unusually, the subs

Ofc he'd got things wrong massively before by playing Saka at Bournemouth

elsewhere, as everyone says, Raya was poor yesterday and this is now a test of Arteta's claim that he will chop and change goalies

If Raya starts the next game then we know (as most people suspect) that it was BS and Raya is there to stay regardless

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arteta was full of praise for him, which I guess is OK in public. But he really shouldn't be first choice after that performance. That one where he got closed down and on another day it would have ricocheted into the net He looked so nervy on the board. I heard he was better second half.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You used to be everything to me
    Now you're tired of fighting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing - I thought Havertz made himself quite useful when he came on yesterday and it might be that's the best way to deploy him (if we must) - later on in games when everyone is slowed down to something more like his pace and his height gives us an outlet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Just seen the highlights. Raya is worrying me. I think he’s worrying everyone tbf. It’s not good for a defence to have a ‘keeper behind them they can’t trust. Ramsdale should be starting.

Massive result. As I said in the other thread, you can’t win the title in the first 10 games but you can certainly rule yourself out of it. Last year it was a big red flag when they beat us at The Emirates. You don’t lose to your biggest rivals at home and win the title. At best it’s rare. So that result is a massive psychological barrier overcome

It's a little more nuanced than that though.

Raya was horrible with the ball yesterday. Let's agree on that.

But a CM partnership of Delneny Rice and Jorginho is absolutely horrifying for whoever has the ball. The only option available in most possessions is to go backwards, because of where they play and the limited space the create.

Raya doesn't have the option of passing backwards. With those in CM Arteta should accept the ball needs to go longer more often.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was also great to see Partey back and perfectly demonstrate the difference in level he is to Rice and (even moreso) Jorginho.

When he picked the ball up in the center of the pitch he had simple options to his left, right and behind him. Rice and Jorginho take those options 100% of the time in that exact situation. Partey actually gets his head up and plays a much more difficult pass right onto Tommy, at the edge of the box, leading to the goal.

That's the difference.