User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chelsea vs Arsenal: Player Ratings and Match Reaction

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chelsea vs Arsenal: Player Ratings and Match Reaction

Raya: 2 - What does this guy have to do to be dropped?. Literally start throwing the ball into our own goal

White: 5 - Didn’t really have much opportunity to get forward as he normally does

Saliba: 6 - As I say I think the penalty was massively harsh but not a good performance, could not cope with the conditions or with players like Cole Palmer

Gabriel: 6 - Same as Saliba, largely static

Zinchenko: 3 - Can’t defend, doesn’t contribute to attack so even Arteta pulled him

Jorginho: 4 - Intimidated by Chelsea midfield into a lot of back passes

Rice: 8 - As a footballer doesn’t impress me, as a leader and someone who rolls their sleeves up he is unquestionably top of his game. That said finding the net from that that far out is no mean feat

Odegaard: 6 - Not going to harp on this goes missing in big games, because a) in reality this isn’t a big game anymore and b) he played some good passes into Jesus but if Jesus won’t make the runs what can you do

Saka: 5 - Doesn’t look match fit, and was bossed by Cucurella

Martinelli: 5 - Largely anonymous

Jesus: 3 - Utter joke, yes we know he’s not a goalscorer but he’s not even trying at the moment. Not making the runs…just not doing much of anything

Subs:

Tomiyasu - 6

Nketiah - 6

Smith Rowe - 6

Trossard - 7.5

Havertz - 6

Looking at this in the context of a single one off result, I’m satisfied…I think especially to come back from two nil down. But the performance was garbage, you can argue Arteta set us up the wrong way and I wouldn’t disagree with that, but even the players we normally depend on to be solid were flagging (the exception being Rice who I think despite his limited ability has almost never had a poor game in an Arsenal shirt). Yes it was raining but so what? There are too many games like this the season where the result has been far better than the performance, but I think this arguably was the worst we’ve played this season. I hope it’s not indicative of where we go from here.

The fact that we’ve lost only once in thirteen games (including the community shield) is for me nothing short of miraculous, maybe it speaks to a character the team has. And I don’t think character can denied coming back from 2-0 down away from home (which is something we haven’t done since August 2014) but for 75 minutes no-one here could have complained that the scoreline was harsh on us.
    Last edited by HCZ_Reborn; 22-10-2023 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lack of firepower is a huge concern right now. I’m not sure how much longer this can go on for before we’re found out.

We’ve got Newcastle away in 2 weeks and I suspect that could be a brutal lesson if the forwards haven’t sharpened up by then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Raya: 2 - What does this guy have to do to be dropped?. Literally start throwing the ball into our own goal

White: 5 - Didn’t really have much opportunity to get forward as he normally does

Saliba: 6 - As I say I think the penalty was massively harsh but not a good performance, could not cope with the conditions or with players like Cole Palmer

Gabriel: 6 - Same as Saliba, largely static

Zinchenko: 3 - Can’t defend, doesn’t contribute to attack so even Arteta pulled him

Jorginho: 4 - Intimidated by Chelsea midfield into a lot of back passes

Rice: 8 - As a footballer doesn’t impress me, as a leader and someone who rolls their sleeves up he is unquestionably top of his game. That said finding the net from that that far out is no mean feat

Odegaard: 6 - Not going to harp on this goes missing in big games, because a) in reality this isn’t a big game anymore and b) he played some good passes into Jesus but if Jesus won’t make the runs what can you do

Saka: 5 - Doesn’t look match fit, and was bossed by Cucurella

Martinelli: 5 - Largely anonymous

Jesus: 3 - Utter joke, yes we know he’s not a goalscorer but he’s not even trying at the moment. Not making the runs…just not doing much of anything

Subs:

Tomiyasu - 6

Nketiah - 6

Smith Rowe - 6

Trossard - 7.5

Havertz - 6

Looking at this in the context of a single one off result, I’m satisfied…I think especially to come back from two nil down. But the performance was garbage, you can argue Arteta set us up the wrong way and I wouldn’t disagree with that, but even the players we normally depend on to be solid were flagging (the exception being Rice who I think despite his limited ability has almost never had a poor game in an Arsenal shirt). Yes it was raining but so what? There are too many games like this the season where the result has been far better than the performance, but I think this arguably was the worst we’ve played this season. I hope it’s not indicative of where we go from here.

The fact that we’ve lost only once in thirteen games (including the community shield) is for me nothing short of miraculous, maybe it speaks to a character the team has. And I don’t think character can denied coming back from 2-0 down away from home (which is something we haven’t done since August 2014) but for 75 minutes no-one here could have complained that the scoreline was harsh on us.
    Pretty good summary of the crap we witnessed yesterday.

The parts in bold adequately reflect my worries...how many more times are we going to keep fluking results over performances?! Obviously its going to catchup to us and we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

Its so annoying, that now that we finally have a team that displays a bit off character (something we've not seen since the early day of AW), they are just not performing or syncing and its obviously something the manager is getting wrong with the setup and his selections seeing as this is pretty much the same team we had last season with supposed improvements.
    Last edited by 21_GOONER_SALUTE; 22-10-2023 at 09:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that was indeed the reason for his being subbed, then this has to be the biggest plus from the game, if it means he goes with another option at LB and we actually start a match with 11 men for once

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    If that was indeed the reason for his being subbed, then this has to be the biggest plus from the game, if it means he goes with another option at LB and we actually start a match with 11 men for once
    Possibly but I don’t particularly see Tomiyasu as a better option…he’s right footed and whilst he has better defensive instincts than Zinchenko isn’t really a footballer in any technical sense. Not saying I’d prefer Zinchenko, I just don’t think either are great options

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly but I don’t particularly see Tomiyasu as a better option…he’s right footed and whilst he has better defensive instincts than Zinchenko isn’t really a footballer in any technical sense. Not saying I’d prefer Zinchenko, I just don’t think either are great options
    Which of course demonstrates the folly of letting go of Tierney, it would be funny if we had to get another LB on loan in January, unless we could get Tierney back at that point, I think that's sometimes possible depending on the deal - I get he doesn't like Tierney though, so it's not likely

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac76 View Post
    Which of course demonstrates the folly of letting go of Tierney, it would be funny if we had to get another LB on loan in January, unless we could get Tierney back at that point, I think that's sometimes possible depending on the deal - I get he doesn't like Tierney though, so it's not likely
    It seems to be the position more than the player. I don’t think he necessarily has much time for the traditional full back and whilst I think that’s folly…it is what it is. Whether we went into the market for a left back (which no I certainly couldn’t rule out) would I guess depend on the likelihood of Jurrien Timber being back say around March time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In comparison to last season with the same fixtures

Fulham at home we won last season, drew this

Everton away we lost last season, won this

Spurs at home we won last season, drew this

City at home we lost last season, won this

Chelsea away we won last season, drew this

That puts us on exactly the same points total from the same fixtures. Forest, Palace, United and Bournemouth the results in terms of points were the same as last season

Overall the difference is that we have scored two fewer goals 18 to 20 (but that also belongs with the context that five of the goals we’ve scored have been penalties, where as only one of those goals from the same fixtures last season were penalties)

So as always it comes down to not creating enough chances and not putting the ball in the net as much, but at the same time at least, this isn’t having a material impact on our overall fortunes. We are basically getting away with it to a degree, but that’s not going to hold out forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we’re here, I call bullshit on Mudryk meaning that.
    Shanked cross IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    While we’re here, I call bullshit on Mudryk meaning that.
    Shanked cross IMO
    I kind of assumed that went without saying

Obviously doesn’t excuse Raya as his positioning was terrible but the intent of that mishit cross was to reach Sterling I think it was at the far post.