Totally embarrassing from Man Ure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Letters View Post
    Fuck VAR.
    Seriously. Fuck it.
    Ok, maybe it was technically a fraction off but it robs those Coventry fans of that moment.
    Another part of dismantling the game.
    Dunno offside is offside

Never would have heard the end of it if that had been given

Coventry can be rightly proud of themselves, United can rightly be embarrassed

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Dunno offside is offside

Never would have heard the end of it if that had been given
    If there wasn’t endless scrutiny, replays from a load of different angles and lines drawn then you wouldn’t have heard a thing. Did you think it was offside in real time? Did anyone?
    If it’s blatant then ok, I do think those errors should be corrected. But if you’re having to draw lines and look for a pixel here and there then holy shit just let it go.
    It’s getting so you can hardly celebrate goals now, the spectre of VAR hangs over too many of them.

Coventry can be rightly proud of themselves, United can rightly be embarrassed
    No argument there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there wasn’t endless scrutiny, replays from a load of different angles and lines drawn then you wouldn’t have heard a thing. Did you think it was offside in real time? Did anyone?
    If it’s blatant then ok, I do think those errors should be corrected. But if you’re having to draw lines and look for a pixel here and there then holy shit just let it go.
    It’s getting so you can hardly celebrate goals now, the spectre of VAR hangs over too many of them.

No argument there.
    Did I think Haji Wright was offside, not at first, but one of the officials was flagging and then from a different angle he did look offside yes and that was before the commentary team confirmed they were going to VAR.

You can argue that the offside rule has to be changed, I think Wenger has suggested such a rule and it’s seriously being considered. But at the moment even a gnats cock offside is offside.

Wright didn’t need to be offside either

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HCZ_Reborn View Post
    Did I think Haji Wright was offside, not at first, but one of the officials was flagging and then from a different angle he did look offside yes and that was before the commentary team confirmed they were going to VAR.

You can argue that the offside rule has to be changed, I think Wenger has suggested such a rule and it’s seriously being considered. But at the moment even a gnats cock offside is offside.

Wright didn’t need to be offside either
    I must admit I used to argue that given offside is a fairly clear definition then a player either is or isn't. If VAR can get that right then why shouldn't it?
    And I think the answer to that is it's ruining some of the spontaneity in the game, it's ruining these "moments".
    The spectre of VAR hangs over too many goals. Obviously blatant mistakes should be dealt with - some years ago we scored a goal vs Chelsea away when RvP was a mile offside. Obviously I chuckled but if VAR had been around that goal would have been chalked off and I probably wouldn't have felt too hard done by. But when it's fractions...just let it go, I reckon. The advantage of "getting things right" is being outweighed by the disadvantage of robbing the fans of these moments too often.

Agreed he didn't need to be offside, but I guess that's part of the point, the goal would have been scored had he been a few inches further back, no real advantage was gained. Obviously I'm feeling a bit salty because it favoured ManYoo, but having long argued for VAR I'm now finding it hard to defend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit I used to argue that given offside is a fairly clear definition then a player either is or isn't. If VAR can get that right then why shouldn't it?
    And I think the answer to that is it's ruining some of the spontaneity in the game, it's ruining these "moments".
    The spectre of VAR hangs over too many goals. Obviously blatant mistakes should be dealt with - some years ago we scored a goal vs Chelsea away when RvP was a mile offside. Obviously I chuckled but if VAR had been around that goal would have been chalked off and I probably wouldn't have felt too hard done by. But when it's fractions...just let it go, I reckon. The advantage of "getting things right" is being outweighed by the disadvantage of robbing the fans of these moments too often.

Agreed he didn't need to be offside, but I guess that's part of the point, the goal would have been scored had he been a few inches further back, no real advantage was gained. Obviously I'm feeling a bit salty because it favoured ManYoo, but having long argued for VAR I'm now finding it hard to defend.
    I think there should be a new feature on offsides “linesman’s call” similar to cricket with umpires call. For those that are not clear & obvious errors, I.e the ones that as soon as you see the first replay you know if they are on or off, so if its not clear & obvious you stick with the on field decision which on this occasion would have meant the goal standing I think.

VAR would then overturn the real howlers and then when the situation means they are zooming in to how much of a big toe is offside, speed up because they just stick with on field decision

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds sensible. Deal with the glaring errors, let the marginal stuff go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've long said VAR checks should be limited to 10 seconds, if you can't see the error in 10 seconds it's not clear and obvious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t think you’ve ever said that before when I’ve suggested something