Quote Originally Posted by IBK View Post
Agree in particular with the part highlighted.

It's becoming clear to me that Arteta has been spooked by our implosion last season, and is trying to prevent the other side having chances by playing the entire game in the opposition's third. This is aided and abetted by teams like Forest who stick everyone behind the ball. The result is a ridiculously compressed game with our players being given little or no opportunities in transition, and no space to create clear scoring chances. Jesus' goal was an 'eye of the needle' job that will not be replicated 9 times out of 10 - and without it I think we could easily have dropped 2 points.

Citeh deal with similar game states by having players who are better at unpicking the lock and finishing with better efficiency. Liverpool are free scoring because they allow teams to come on to them and relinquish control to make the pitch big - trusting in their defenders and GK. I feel that we need to take more risks - there's no point in having Rice (an amazing ball recoverer) in front of a very good back 4 but still being afraid to lose possession in the opposition's half. There's little point playing ESR who is excellent in transition - and reducing him to sideways passes; Martinelli but denying him space to run into; Saka but giving the other team all the time and opportunity to double and triple up on him without opening space elsewhere.

We are predictable. Our talent will often get a result despite this, but for me Arsenal often resemble someone trying to dance in a coffin, and its frustrating.

Ironically, I have more faith that this way of playing will yield dividends against Liverpoool on the weekend - as it did against Citeh at home - but for me Arteta needs to get his head out of what happened in April and May last year and stop being scared to open the game up against teams we should be beating with comparative ease.