User Tag List

Page 15 of 538 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115515 ... LastLast

Thread: General Football Nonsense

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    t least 73 people have been killed in clashes between rival fans following a football match in the Egyptian city of Port Said, state television reports.

The deaths occurred as supporters invaded the pitch after a match between top-tier clubs Masry and al-Ahly on Wednesday.

It is feared the death toll could rise as at least 156 people have been hurt.

It is the biggest disaster in the country's football history, said the Egyptian deputy health minister.

"This is unfortunate and deeply saddening," Hesham Sheiha told state television.

Some of the dead were security officers, the Associated Press news agency quoted a morgue official as saying.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

"This is not football. This is a war”

In pictures: Fans clash

The BBC's Jon Leyne in Cairo says it appears some fans had taken knives into the stadium.

Our correspondent says the lack of the usual level of security in the stadium might have contributed to the clashes.

Police in Egypt have been keeping a much lower profile since last year's popular protests that ousted President Hosni Mubarak from power.

Egyptian fans are notoriously violent, says our correspondent, particularly supporters of al-Ahly known as the Ultras.

They have been heavily implicated in confronting the police during political recent political protests, our correspondent adds. There is speculation that the security forces may have had an interest in taking on al-Ahly supporters.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16845841

Terribble news

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Horrible stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better to burn out, than to fade away.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former Manchester United midfielder Ravel Morrison has caused controversy after posting a homophobic threat on twitter.

Responding to suggestions he was a drug user on Twitter, the West Ham star tweeted: “Crack head ? Go suck out u little faggot your a guy that talks if u see me you try slap me I'm in manchester every week.”
    DON'T MISS
    Sir Alex: Stronger anti-racism actions neededEvra: Number of injuries 'amazing'
    VDS: De Gea needs to deal with pressureRooney: Suarez should have been sent off

The 19-year-old has seen his career blighted by a number of incidents including charges of witness intimidation and an altercation with his girlfriend.

Morrison has been hailed as the greatest youth talent to emerge at Old Trafford since Paul Scholes but joined the Hammers for a fee thought to be in the region of £1 million, rising to £2m, on transfer deadline day after Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly ran out of patience with his behaviour.
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2897/...el-morrison-in

Also PC brigade need to STFU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He sounds like a nice chap.

Administrator McNamara That Ghost...'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fat Sam.

Good luck with that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homophobia is becoming less stigmatised in football despite the "extremely disappointing" comments of former Manchester United midfielder Ravel Morrison, according to Alan Quick of The Justin Campaign.

The 19-year-old footballer, who moved to West Ham on deadline day, caused controversy on Tuesday when writing a homophobic message on Twitter after being antagonised by a follower.

Morrison’s tweet, which has since been deleted, read: “crack head ? Go suck out u little faggot your a guy that talks if u see me you try slap me I'm in manchester every week.”

Speaking exclusively to Goal.com, Mr Quick condemned the player’s comments, and whilst suggesting the youngster may not have realised the ramifications of the message, he believes such attitudes only serves to bolster the view that gay people are yet to be accepted in the football world.

"It's extremely disappointing to hear that yet another professional footballer in England has used homophobic language,” Mr Quick told Goal.com

“Ravel Morrison may well not be aware of the damage those kind of remarks can do, but when football stars indulge in that kind of language, it only reinforces the view that football is not a welcoming place of LGBT fans or players."

The Justin Campaign, which aims to fight homophobia within the game, was set up in memory of former Norwich City and Nottingham Forest forward Justin Fashanu, who became the first English professional footballer to publicly announce he was homosexual. Fashanu tragically took his own life in 1998, with the campaign founded 10 years later.

In Germany, Bundesliga stars Mario Gomez and Philip Lahm both recently spoke out in support of homosexuality in football, and although Mr Quick believes England still has work to do to completely combat the negativity surrounding the issue, he believes progress is being made.

He added: "We have seen in recent years that high-profile players in the Bundesliga have spoken out, in positive terms, about the issue of homophobia in football, however in England this issue is only starting to be discussed by the game in general. But things are moving forward.”

A recently aired BBC documentary, ‘Britain’s Gay Footballers’, was an example of the increased dialogue over gay footballers, with QPR captain Joey Barton also revealing his belief that homosexuality should be accepted.

Barton said: "It's a subject quite close to my heart because my dad's youngest brother, the youngest of my uncles, is gay. And I didn't know for a long, long time.

"He thought because of the society that we were brought up in, which was quite working class, that it would be frowned upon or that we would disown him.

"So for a lot of years he was in turmoil and was resenting himself for the fact he had these feelings.

"I was like, 'I love you for you — not for the fact that you are straight or bisexual or all different manner of things. I love you because you're you.'"

Mr Quick praised the 29-year-old’s comments, and also stated that Premier League clubs are showing increased commitment to tackling the issue.

“We have recently seen Joey Barton discuss the issue maturely and intelligently on the BBC documentary ’Britain's Gay Footballers’ while the Justin Campaign has found that more and more Premier League clubs are starting to take the issue seriously,” he added.

“Things are moving forward finally, so, in relation to Ravel Morrison, hopefully he will be taken to task by his club over his remarks.”
    http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/...-disappointing

Why is it so important? If gays dont want to come out then surely thats up to them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is likely more to do with being afraid to come out.

The abuse from opposing fans would be relentless.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Players are abused for one reason or another all the time. Why do Gays have to be treated special? Treat them like everyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not even homophobic.

It's just the typical words of a stupid British chav who probably doesn't even know what he's saying.